Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking for some advice. I'm a 26 year old male who, for the last month & 1/2 have been suffering from lower right abdominal pain. The pain was at first very sharp and made me nauseous, so much so that I went to the ER. At the ER, I had a CT scan, blood work, stool sample, as well as urine, and all showed negative. I was flabbergasted because while I was in the ER, I was in so much pain as well as retching quite a lot. This pain continued to persist pretty much constantly, with no relation to what I ate. I lost my appetite and became very fatigued and began to lose weight as a result. I actually ended up going to the ER several more times out of pain and each time - nothing. My bowel habits began to change - I had increased gas, more-than-usual smelly stools, etc. About halfway through one doctor prescribed me Cipro and this did nothing except give me antibiotic-induced diarrhea for almost two weeks, causing me to lose even more weight. I literally went from 156 lbs. of muscle and health to 137.5 lbs (today). I feel awful. Because I'm a veteran I get seen at the VA, which is actually pretty terrible. I think I've seen my actual primary care doctor once, otherwise it's just been a bunch of newbies. I've since begun to see a new doctor via private insurance at my college and just received a referral to see a GI doc next week. I assume the next step is a colonoscopy? One thing I've heard thrown around is IBS or Chron's Disease, but it seems that I don't present with either of these 'typical' symptoms, other than right-sided abdominal pain. It's right over where the appendix is at. (I should mention that it seems highly unlikely it's the appendix because I've literally had like 3 CT scans since this all started). The pain also seems to radiate down into my upper inner right thigh and sometimes around my whole belly with bloating and nausea. I don't have frequent diarrhea or constipation or anything like that, but recently I noticed that in the last two days my stool has had flecks of red covering it. I don't mean to be gross, but it looks like maroon-colored spriknlings on the stool and within it and appear to have some density to them. To summarize my symptoms: localized, lower right-sided abdominal pain (just left of hip bone), peripheral pain in upper inner thigh, nausea, bloating, indigestion, general malaise, fatigue (feeling like absolutely wiped out). Also when the pain presents itself in the right side, it seems to bubble and whir constantly and I pass a lot of gas, sometimes very smelly. Other things: I take zoloft 50 mg for anxiety/depression. I avoid painkillers because, well, we know those aren't really good for the stomach. I just drink ginger tea and use a heating pad for relief when the pain gets bad. I really am just looking for any similar experience or help or even just support. This has been a very difficult time for me, seeing my body be diminished by whatever this is. Emotionally I am a wreck and sometimes find myself just holding my wife and crying out of frustration and pain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This sounds like how I am! For the past six months every stinking day I've had abdominal pain. Mainly the right, but sometimes under my ribs and belly button area. Sometimes it's a dull ache, sometimes it's sharp and ugh, it bites! I've been to the ER and had the exact tests that you had and had the same results, nothing! I've also had ultrasounds and xrays and still nothing, yet everyday, pain! Next step for me is a GI doctor, but since I am only sixteen, we cannot find one that handles pediatrics, so who knows how long it'll take. I've considered it was IBS or like a spastic colon or whatever. I'm a hypocondriac, so I've also considered every possible disease and illness, haha. But still. I know this isn't too much help, but hey, at least you know you're not alone out there with it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm looking for some advice. I'm a 26 year old male who, for the last month & 1/2 have been suffering from lower right abdominal pain. The pain was at first very sharp and made me nauseous, so much so that I went to the ER. At the ER, I had a CT scan, blood work, stool sample, as well as urine, and all showed negative. I was flabbergasted because while I was in the ER, I was in so much pain as well as retching quite a lot. This pain continued to persist pretty much constantly, with no relation to what I ate. I lost my appetite and became very fatigued and began to lose weight as a result. I actually ended up going to the ER several more times out of pain and each time - nothing. My bowel habits began to change - I had increased gas, more-than-usual smelly stools, etc. About halfway through one doctor prescribed me Cipro and this did nothing except give me antibiotic-induced diarrhea for almost two weeks, causing me to lose even more weight. I literally went from 156 lbs. of muscle and health to 137.5 lbs (today). I feel awful. Because I'm a veteran I get seen at the VA, which is actually pretty terrible. I think I've seen my actual primary care doctor once, otherwise it's just been a bunch of newbies. I've since begun to see a new doctor via private insurance at my college and just received a referral to see a GI doc next week. I assume the next step is a colonoscopy? One thing I've heard thrown around is IBS or Chron's Disease, but it seems that I don't present with either of these 'typical' symptoms, other than right-sided abdominal pain. It's right over where the appendix is at. (I should mention that it seems highly unlikely it's the appendix because I've literally had like 3 CT scans since this all started). The pain also seems to radiate down into my upper inner right thigh and sometimes around my whole belly with bloating and nausea. I don't have frequent diarrhea or constipation or anything like that, but recently I noticed that in the last two days my stool has had flecks of red covering it. I don't mean to be gross, but it looks like maroon-colored spriknlings on the stool and within it and appear to have some density to them. To summarize my symptoms: localized, lower right-sided abdominal pain (just left of hip bone), peripheral pain in upper inner thigh, nausea, bloating, indigestion, general malaise, fatigue (feeling like absolutely wiped out). Also when the pain presents itself in the right side, it seems to bubble and whir constantly and I pass a lot of gas, sometimes very smelly. Other things: I take zoloft 50 mg for anxiety/depression. I avoid painkillers because, well, we know those aren't really good for the stomach. I just drink ginger tea and use a heating pad for relief when the pain gets bad. I really am just looking for any similar experience or help or even just support. This has been a very difficult time for me, seeing my body be diminished by whatever this is. Emotionally I am a wreck and sometimes find myself just holding my wife and crying out of frustration and pain.
You are definitely not alone. I know that doesn't exactly make things easier, or less painful. I've been having the same issues for years now. I've been diagnosed with IBS a few years ago, and have had Crohn's for over 20 years. It's weird how the pain is so often in the lower right side, and it often freaks me out and makes me think my appendix is going to burst. I've had every test known to man over the past 2 years (in which time these symptoms have really flared up), all of which has shown up negative. Only IBS keeps coming back up. It's frustrating as hell to me, because it seems like IBS is just another term for "we don't really know what's wrong with you". It's not that I want there to be something seriously wrong with me. Not at all. I would just like to know what causes this mysterious pain, and why it radiates from the right to the left, and under my ribs, etc. Also, I have the same pain in the upper thigh as well! Also quite often feel wiped out and fatigued.I do know that exercise does help. Whenever I'm up to it I DO find that when even exercise even a little, it gets things "moving", so to speak. You are very lucky to have someone supportive in your life that you can hold and cry to when in pain. I think that's a huge help. I have a extremely supportive and loving boyfriend who is always there for me, adjusts meals to how I feel, and tolerates my moodiness when I have flare ups. I truly hope that one day science can help finding a cure for this ####. It's ridiculous!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been going through a very similar story for almost 4 years. I have had every test to man and when the docotors run out of test/ideas, they say while i guess its ibs. The next step for you will probly be the colonoscopy. That will rule out all the "bad diseases" i say bad lightly, but thats how the doctors will word it. Has anyone who has similar pain, gone to the hospital and had a shot or toridal? Thats what i get about once a month when the pain in to bad, and for some reason it fixes everything!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi there, I'm sorry that you're in so much pain and discomfort. I will tell you that your experience with doctors probably won't improve just like mine didn't. They usually don't care about people unless they're dying (in my opinion) and ibs is far from death, even when it feels like it. Your GI doctor should schedule a colonoscopy which will let you know what you have, if they find nothing they will tell you it's ibs. In any case, if you have ibs or some other gi problem I would recommend that you go on an ibs diet to calm your gi tract which will help with the pain and the other symptoms. You're probably feeling so exhausted because the pain and the emotional rollercoaster of not having any answers. I will tell you that my symptoms didn't fit the exact prognosis of ibs either... I have periodic vomitting as well. You did the right thing by going to see your doctors persistently, you should demand your care.
I would definitely recommend Heather Van Vorous's book "The First Year - IBS: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed". Even if you have another GI problem, this diet will help calm your symptoms. Heather has ibs and I used her diet and went a year of very few episodes and very little discomfort. I've read a lot of IBS diet books and hers is the easiest to follow (doesn't cut out EVERYTHING) and is very flexible plus it actually works. Hang in there, everything will work out in the end... just give it time

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.....i had very sim symptoms as you....after soooo mny test they found endometroma cyst on ovary and large fibroid...this was last year....but during consultation for having a laparoscopy to remove them,the docter told me all my symptoms were because of IBS...im no docter but i have researched so much on this matter and the symptoms are almost identical!!....in the last 3 weeks the severe ab distention...going toilet up to 8 times aday...tired all the time....pain that radiates all over my abs where i feel like im gonna throw up!!....after an ultrasound last week ...low and behold ....the cyst and fibroid are back!!...i now am put on urgent refferal to gyno again.....please go back to docters and let them do a scan......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts