Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the groupI am 49 years, male and generally in good health. Perhaps two years ago I started experiencing lower right abdominal pain type spasms, just stabbing feelings for several weeks then it stopped. About One year ago I got the same pain, always right side, you could almost pin point the pain with a finger and it would be tender to touch, then suddenly the pain would go and the abdomen would no longer be tender to touch. Also a lot of gas floating around in the gut.My bowel habits have for perhaps 10 years have had no pattern. Morning or evening, sometimes every day, sometimes once every three days. The stools often hard an dark brown or very soft so they have no shape. No blood, sometimes some mucus.I never really though about it until the pain come along in the last year. Just recently stool smell is one of rotten eggs which I have had on and off for a couple of years. Five years ago I had GERD diagnosed which has improved on its ownI have explained to doctor. They ran some blood work, check stool, etc but everything seems okay. I am due to have an ultrasound next week, not sure why but doctor wants it doneThis situation is getting me down as I cannot control it. Do I fit the IBS pattern ??Many thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Pain with altered stool habit is the definition of IBS and you seem to match that.Other than those two constants you find pretty much every single pattern of pain/discomfort and stool issues you could imagine that are IBS (and probably several you might never have suspected existed).There is no particular pain or particular stool issues that signals not IBS, all of them are IBS.No mention of symptoms common to other things (bloody diarrhea, totally unexplainable weight loss) so you are probably looking at IBS.If you have a localized area of pain (can be seen in IBS, everything from localized to whole abdomen to moves around is seen in IBS) it makes sense to take a look see to see if there is any cyst or mass in that place and a general "looks normal" kinda thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts