Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I had my first IBS attack 4-years ago...ended up in the er on a morphine drip. They took out my gallbladder thinking that was the problem..guess what....wrong! I lost a part of my body that had nothing wrong with it. I had my second and third attacks within the last 2-years...same pain...er on a morphine drip...The GI doc said I was a mystery to him as the scopes came up clean....no diagnosis....I am goin back one last time as my stomach bloating is more frequent now...I believe it will be IBS...oh , I did find a drug that does work...vicoprofen....yes its a narcotic but it also has ibruprofen in it...it is not like regular vicodin which does nothing but cause me a headache.....this new combination is the best thing I have ever tried....takes away the pain and cramps and also helps reduce the diahrea by causing some constipation....I am 49 and will not live in pain the rest of my life....I will keep you posted as to my condition....if it is IBS which I am certain it is...then this is the drug for me....no more suffering...

·
Registered
46 Posts
HI Deanml,I hear ya about the pain part. Its no fun and when it happens all of a sudden like its no fun at all. I came to realize over the last 5-6 months all that food poisoning I was going through was IBS. I came to the conclution after see some one else eat the same food as myself and not get sick. I have found marijuana to really help alot. It has several stomach relaxers in it and its an anti nausea and, in my case it gives me an appitite. I lost about 30 or more lbs this because of the fear of the pain i get when I eat. If you have never smoked it then its not anything to play around with. The dosing is what most folks don't get. The problem with a majority or pain med and the alike is the tolerence build up. So if you take a med that starts to get weaker over time as you use it then its a drug that you build a tolerence to. Even pot has a tolerence, but in time you learn how much you can handle. I think only a very very small amount about 15-20 min apart is the way to learn how to use it and not get put into outer space.I hate drug as a rule. demerol, vicoden, ooxicodone, all make me pray to the great sea god ralph. I cannot tolerate oral pain meds.take care and good luckFlowby

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 26 year old daughter has been diagnosed a year ago with IBS, after a misdiagnosis of colitis. Her main problem is the horrible pain, usually resulting in the ER and morphine IV, followed by compazine for the nausea. Our frustration level is high...she has been in the ER and gotten the morephine "bandaid" three times now since July 24, 2006. This can't continue. Vicodan doesn't touch her pain. Is this pain REALLY that severe, or does she have a low threshold for pain? It's hard for me to understand.....I've been on these sites for the first time tonight for the past 4 hours and have heard Librax mentioned several times. Haven't heard of it....my daughter is on dicyclamine and hyoscyamine and has just started on Lotronex. I wish we could get off all of this stuff.....next step is to try Oregon Health Science University in Portland, Oregon I think. There HAS to be some way to manage this. I've just read a book by a Dr. who has started an IBS Clinic in Seattle, Washington. He states that most IBS problems are caused by food allergies, bacteria, or parasites. Hmmmm. My daughter had tested positive 2 years ago for C Diff and H Pylori. Connection there? Good luck. Is there a morphine pill?

·
Registered
702 Posts
quote:My daughter had tested positive 2 years ago for C Diff and H Pylori. Connection there?
Your daughter could be suffering from post-infectious IBS. As she been tested for these bugs recently? As she been tested for microscopic colitis? As she been tested for small intestine bacterial overgrowth?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
quote:Is this pain REALLY that severe
In my experience.. yeah, it is.
quote:eek:r does she have a low threshold for pain?
I doubt she has a low tolerance per se. Visceral hypersensitivity is one of the symptoms of IBS. Yet maybe one could argue ALL of us with visceral hypersensitivity have a low tolerance for gut pain because we have visceral hypersensitivity. We feel stuff that the average bear without IBS is blissfully unaware of. There is some sort of dysregulation of serotonin going on in our enteric nervous system. (That is extremely simply put..this is very complicated for me to describe. Others do it better and hopefully they will pop in here to explain it better.)IMO (in my opinion) this symptom is not well understood, treated or attended to by many Doctors. And in some cases completely ignored.But then again... what scientists have put forward as possible treatments are not all that effective for many of us. And I do not think there is anything yet offered to kill 100% of our gut pain. Many Docs *do* try to use low dose of SSRI's (antidepressants) or TCA's (tricyclic antidepressants) to block some of this out. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. They all have side effects. Depends on the person as far as how effective they are with pain, as with each one of us, IBS symptoms & efficacy of various treatments can vary greatly.But no... I would not minimize how bad this is.. cuz it can be 10+ off the chart type pain.There are things to try, like the SSRI's, TCA's or hypnotherapy, relaxation & distraction techniques, CBT, etc. But not much else.Use of narcotics over time apparently can make this worse as in "Narcotic Bowel" can occur. (Narcotics over time can make our guts even more hypersensitive apparently.)Here is a good article to read:http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/CFAP.htmlWish I could tell ya there was one thing to take it all away.. but I do not know of such a thing. There are some things you can try and some things that may end up helping her manage it.But, yeah the pain is that bad and.. yeah she is actually suffering. Give her a squeeze and let her know there are things to try and that she definitely is not alone in this.BQ

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Pain in IBS is very real and can be off the charts.Narcotic bowel syndrome is very real and is pretty common.Most people don't really understand it well and want releif from pain, but by taking narcotics there are gradually causing more pain each time.Its important in IBS also to learn pain management and not just rely on narcotics or antidepressants.Also ibruprofen is probably not something you want to take with IBS.Harmful Effects of Medications on the Digestive Systemhttp://www.healingwell.com/library/ibs/info4.aspnsaids can irritate the gut lining and that is not something you want when you have a hypersensitive gut lining in the first place.I hear where people are coming from because you can read my previous posts on Pain and my own IBS and I totally understand how bad pain in IBS can be and not wanting to live with it, however the above things make pain worse long term in IBSers. This doesn't happen right away either it happens slowly without the person being aware of it at first.You might want to read this threadhttp://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f...261/m/592100662

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you all so much.....when you don't suffer from the pain, or know just how severe it is, it really is a "comfort" to know that the pain really is that severe in my daughter. Have you heard of the IBS Treatment Center in Seattle, founded by Dr. Stephen Wangen, book titled The Irritable Bowel Syndrome Solution, first printing Jan. 2006. He believes IBS is often caused by food allergies, bacterial imbalance, parasites, or a combiniation. I don't want this 26 year old girl to look forward to dicylamine, hyoscyamine, Lotronex, and morphine for the rest of her life. I'm ready, just about, to grasp at any straw out there. (www.ibstreatmentcenter.com) 1-888-546-6283; I have a call in to them to learn more. When this awful pain hits, what do you do for it? Do a lot of you just go to the ER for morphine too? Or have you found a med to use at home that will take the edge off a little? Is there a morphine pill? What a bummer this is!!!!!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
No, I have never gone to the ER with the pain. And I have never had morphine. I have had other pain meds for other things.. surgeries etc and I have had IBS gut pain attacks while recuperating and taking those narcotics and I can tell you.. they don't work effectively on the gut pain.The only thing that I have found to work with any effectiveness is a recorded hypnotherapy program I did at home. ( I used this one:http://www.ibsaudioprogram100.com/index.html )I use some of the techniques, imagery and relaxation that I learned via that program. I also have learned to achieve deep relaxation on my own & my own imagery through practice. It is something that has to be practiced for me and I am not 100% good at it 100% of the time.But that is the most effective means to knock the pain down for me. I also can't drop everything and go lay down to "relax" whenever I have gut pain. I have a busy life and it can't just come to a screeching halt like that many times. So at those times I use some distraction and to get my mind off of it. Get busy and involved in something. If I sit/stand there just thinking about how bad the pain is.. I can't get rid of it. So distraction is a helpful tool. I can't always manage it.. but I try. I also use calming statements, and slow down my breathing and basically do the very opposite that my body wants to do... My body wants to tense up.. that makes the pain worse. So I try to release as much tension as I can. I won't kid you, this is not easy for me. (Like at a HS football game with 30 degree temperatures.. this can be a real challenge and I am not always successful.) But it gives me some control over it. I feel empowered that I can do something to manage it on my own. Because I gotta tell ya, it is an awful feeling when you realize.. this is it.. I am on my own with this pain..there isn't some pill I can take that will relieve it and take it away.Do I still have to miss stuff because of pain.. yeah sometimes. But I try very hard to just keep going. But I have had 10++ pain get beyond my abilities to manage it at times. And that is a bad place to be.. but fortunately 10++ pain doesn't last forever. It isn't 24/7. Most times it is the worst after or while eating. The site I posted above has alot of good info on Hypnotherapy. Just click on it and read there.This is also a great article about it. Just click here:http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/hypnosis.html I have also used heat patches when I can't be plugged into the wall with a heating pad. I found heat can ease it sometimes.Somehow.. don't know why..I feel like I wanna apologize that this isn't some quick easy thing that I can say, "Here.. this (fill in the blank) is gonna get your daughter out of pain."Oh I wish I could say that and fill in the blank. But I can't.I haven't heard of Dr. Stephen Wagnen.
quote:He believes IBS is often caused by food allergies, bacterial imbalance, parasites, or a combiniation.
I don't know about that. But your daughter can have stool studies done to check for some of that as well as other diagnostics. Ask your Doc's about it.Also you may find this article to be helpful:Just click here:http://www.romecriteria.org/reading1.htmlI know it is hard to watch someone else.. especially one's child, in pain. And I know you are desperate for her to have relief. And she may be able to achieve this... so it might be best if she read these things for herself as well. It is a much better feeling to have some control over pain. Heck, if I can do these techniques.. she surely can. And while you are at it.. tell her what a nice bunch we are.. and to 'C'mon Down' to the board here.. She is in good company.. even if I do say so myself.
BQ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.