Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm obviously new here so bare with me I mite tend to blabber on.Well I've always had issues related to constipation/diarrhea but over the past month or so my symptoms were getting really worse such asNoisy stomach (can even feel some slight vibrations when it makes the noises and it can be kinda constant as I'm trying to have a BM)constant need to go to the toiletStomach tightness (think cramps or something) Pain when I wake up in the morning that goes away after i at least try to go to the toilet (not every morning but most)Pain around my anus when I try and have a BM (not always but most time its like a sharp pain, makes me lift my self up a bit so it goes away)Exstreme amounts of itchyness that I cant resist the urge to scratch and just recently ive noticed mucus in my poo sometimes its all that comes out (yes i did inform my doctor about that but he just still put it down to IBS)Well when it started getting worse I went to my local doctor and desribed him the symptoms and he right away said IBS but it was starting to really scare me coz it felt so bad sometimes so he did blood tests, checked my stomach (by feeling it) and all were negative in anything bad, he told me to take that Metamucil suppliment and that does kinda help but it still feels bad. It gettting to the point where ive been having constant panic attacks over that and its making me think other things on me arent normal either even when they are and I can't help but have a panic attack and it wont go away till i see a doctor about it. My doctor put the worsening down to me just constantly worrying about it and tried to prescribe me some medication to help prevent panic attacks and constant worrying, the one he gave me is Paroxetine-GA but even taking that for just 2 days (took one full tablet first day and was told to only take half on second day) i was fearing for my heart and stuff coz it was beating faster etc so i was told by another doctor (coz my reg local GP is on holidays atm) that I can stop the meds till I see my doctor again when his back.Now its just really upsetting me because its interfearing with my sleep when I go to bed my stomach tightens up and all i can think about is the need to go to the toilet, and I just cant shake the feeling its something bad other then IBS but I don't know what to do, my doctor said if the Paroxetine dosent help the problem he will send me to a gastro-something rather doctor to do some tests but I have to wait till he gets back from holidays till I can organize that, even if they rule out anything bad and it still put down to IBS id say id relax more and just have to learn to deal with it but I dunno what to do in the mean time coz its really scaring me to the point i wanna go in hospital and get them to check it but the ambulance wont come coz its not such an emergency since its been going on for a while.What worrys me is I also do have other chronic illness with my blood (low plaettets, white cells and so on) and heart problems that I dunno if either could be affected by this so that makes me worry even more.Any suggestions on ways i could handle this better without panicing and stuff in the mean time before I can get things checked how I want.would you say my symptoms are IBS related and the worsening is because of my constant worrying? or that their could be something other then IBS going on? but what else could it be.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Itching all over your body, or just anal itching?The pain trying to have a BM and itching down there could be an internal hemorroid. Try some Tucks pads or get some witch hazel (what is on them) and use a cotton ball and give an extra clean down there or try some preparation H.The rest really sounds like IBS and the panic attacks will make the IBS worse, which then tends to set off more panic.You haven't mentioned symptoms of anything dangerous, and if you are under 50 it is extremely unlikey you have colo-rectal cancer (unless half your family got colon cancer by 40-45 as there is a polyp disease that runs in some families)The intestines make some noise every moment of every day. Just usually you don't hear it (like you don't usually hear your heart beat) but if you really start listening for it you will hear it more, so just try to ignore it. The only sound from in there that is dangerous is complete silence even if you listen with a stethoscope.The colon is most active around the time you get up. IBSers often feel pain or have other symptoms when the colon is more active. The other increased activity times are after meals.There can be proctalgia fugax which could be the rectal pain if there isn't a hemorrhoid. While it is literally a pain in the butt, it isn't dangerous. That pain is usually fairly short lived. There can be a longer lasting pain down there (also not dangerous, just a pain in the butt
) when the levator ani muscle (PF is also a muscle cramping up, just a different one) acts up, but usually people describe that more like feels like you are sitting on a ball. PF is more likely to be associated with a BM from what I've read.I'd really work on controlling the panic. There doesn't sound like something serious going on (or if there is anything other than IBS it is at an early stage, and that is other GI illnesses, not cancer. Colon cancer for the most part doesn't cause any symptoms, that is why they screen people over 50 for it and remove any polyps which is where the cancer usually starts).Have you ever done any sort of relaxation technique? http://www.relaxationresponse.org/steps/ is a typical one that is taught. You may need to practice it regularly for awhile before it starts helping. So don't give up if the first try doesn't do much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the reply, sorry I forgot to mention my age, I'm 24 (Male)The pain when the BM is in progress is only around the anal area usually at the back part, and the itchy ness is also all around down their from behind my scrotum to the back of the outside of my anus (Thankfully no itchying in the inside lol that be hell) it gets that itchy down there I scratch/rub it to the point where it stings and stuff and I can't help it sometimes.The sounds my stomach makes when it happens appear quite loud to me which really makes me worried and is it normal to feel slight vibrations when I hear the noises?Also I do not know if the following is related to IBS or the panic attacks caused by IBS (my doctor thinks it is) but over the past week when I've gone to urinate the part (muscle or what ever it is) just behind my scrotum has feels strange like tightended up and ive had to move a little for it to feel normal again and its even sometimes made the urination in progress pauses slightly (it only comes on as I try to urinate) and sometimes hurt. I've looked for appropriate places on the net to ask about this problem but this is the only place i can think of since I'm assuming its due to me thinking other things are wrong coz of the panic attacks or coz of IBS or I did somethings to the area. Sorry if the last part of this post is inappropriate for this forum but as I said I dunno if its related to panic attacks/IBS or both or actually something unrelatedly wrong.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Try the tucks or any of the hemorrhoid creams for itching down there and see if that helps with that discomfort. Those things can make a huge difference.The noise is when the colon is active so you might notice other indications of activity that just the noise. I mean when it is active stuff is moving around, etc.If you are having some pelvic floor pain/issues that can be felt in places other than just the anus. That is all kinda connected down there so sometimes people have issues all along that.The more panicked you get and spend more time trying to find every little sensation and thing wrong the more you will feel. Most of that is normal stuff you don't notice unless you really tell your brain to find every single thing going on in your body.Do something relaxing the keeps your mind busy. Read a good book, watch an engrossing movie, go for a walk, etc. The more you sit and fret the more you will find to fret about and the more you will notice and the more you use every little sensation in your body to set off a new round of panick.I'd really talk to the doctor about the anxiety as well as any physical symptoms. You may need to get that treated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah thats whats been happening, I've been feeling/noticing things I think arent normal and ive had full on panic attacks over em even called the ambulance out a few times this week over a few things coz of them (a couple were over the new meds doc gave me to help with panic attacks)As i said earlier the meds he gave me were really making me feel bad, effecting my stomach more, (nauscious) my chest, and my heart as well making it race a mile a minute, so im not taking em till he gets back (temp doctors recommended) and i can see him which isnt to the 4th. So either change of medication or lower dose or something mite be in order if it all is just IBS related.At the moment I'm just trying to focus on other things (watching movies etc) but the panic/worry of it still tends to slip in my mind.Talking about it on here has helped a little though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts