Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for people with IBS to have a pattern that migth result in Diahrea during some cycles and then also suffer from Constipation during another cycle with IBS.When my doctor first diagnosed me with IBS I would have the urgency with Diarehha after meals. Then I took soem meds and thing s seem to get better.Then for the most part no D flare ups or anything unless I messed with cdrtain foods, but then a year or two later I was dealing with Constipation(Going only ever 2-3 days instead of daily) which my doctor also thought might be caused by taking Tricor.So again are IBS sufferers only supposed to have issues with D or C with flare ups or can it alternate?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Alternating back and forth is common in IBS.Used to be (before they started making drugs that really work mostly one or the other) a lot of the descriptions of IBS made it sound like only people who alternated back and forth had IBS. You can be either alternating or have diarrhea or constipation predominate.Often when people alternate preventing the constipation tends to be more important to breaking the cycle than stopping up the diarrhea.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's also possible with IBS-A/M to have decreased frequency but closer to D in form or urgency, or on the flip side, increased frequency that is C or closer to C in form or difficulty evacuating. It's not always clear-cut D, C or sometimes D and sometimes C for some of us.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's also possible with IBS-A/M to have decreased frequency but closer to D in form or urgency, or on the flip side, increased frequency that is C or closer to C in form or difficulty evacuating. It's not always clear-cut D, C or sometimes D and sometimes C for some of us.
yeah its like a little surprise everytime you go to the toilet
it sucks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.