Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Is anyone else here pregnant and dealing with IBS? I am now pregnant with my third child. I had to go off my IBS medication before I even had a chance to see if it was working. Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you.Aimee

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've read tons of posts re: pregancy and IBS. Someone is sure to reply who relates to you.Many women have mentioned that their IBS cessates during pregnancy and then comes back afterward. Perhaps this is because the body realizes that the baby needs particular nutrients that you wouldn't be able to take in when you're all IBSy.Anyway, good luck and best wishes! Regards, Lilymaid

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Aimee! I am an "Amy" also!I am presently trying to get pregnant with my 3rd. So I will be quitting what is left of my Lotronex soon (that is scary!). However, I did notice that my symptoms were less while I was pregnant with my other 2 children. I did have the urgency and cramping, but hardly no D (and I have serious D 3-4 times a week+. I think this was because of all the extra Iron I had to take. I took the prenatal vitamin and extra iron supplements. Another theory is because of the hormone changes that occur during pregnancy. My IBS was also much better while I was nursing. I guess since so much of what you eat is quickly absorbed during pregnancy and nursing there isn't much left to come out! Good luck. Keep us posted!Amy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am IBS d and was pregnant with no meds to take. my condition was very mild while pregnant because I popped tons off Tums EX witch ,s calcium carbonate and I took my prenatal vitamins and was told to take OS Cal (not carbonated calcium but citrate) I was fine and can not wait to have my second baby!good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your helpful suggestions and input. My symptoms are still here, but now I have different ones, maybe pregnancy related. I will definately try taking the Tums EX on a daily basis. I'm sure I will soon anyway with the upcomingh heartburn! Good luck with you 2nd!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Aimee,I am currrently pregnant with my fourth child and my IBS has been pretty much nil since I got pregnant.For all my pregnancies my IBS was virtually non existant but came back full force after delivery.I am taking no meds right now but there are plenty of things you can safely take while pregnant.Talk to your doctor.Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My IBSD was at its worst during the last trimester of my second pregnancy, thats actually when it started for me. It was really bad until I stopped breastfeeding when my son was about six months old. And only became "somewhat bearable" when I lost the pregnancy wieght completely. A couple times during my last two months pregnant, I went to the hospital thinking I was in labor, and I was stuck on bed rest.I ate lots of brown rice. Ginger tea, and tums helped some for the heartburn(old wives tale is that lots of heartburn is supposed to mean that the baby is going to have a full head of hair). The most comforting thing for me was a hot shower.I hope you have a good pregnancy, and no IBS problems! I think stress played a big role in my situation. Good luck!PS. Both my babies had tons of hair

·
Registered
28 Posts
Imodium is safe during pregancy-- thank goodness!!! I took a quarter-tablet of Imodium Advanced every day with my last pregancy and was fine. Had a healthy baby boy. I still breastfeed him (at eight months old), while continuing the daily imodium.Talk to your doctor and best of luck-- and Congratulations on the new life you are creating!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am pregnant with IBS-D right now. My IBS became almost non-existant as soon as I was pregnant. Once I started taking the prenatal vitamins it came back full force (actually worse than before). Told the doc and he took me off those and I just took folic acid and a flintstone. Once off the prenatals I was great again. It's been wonderful, but I am now in my 6 month and am anemic so am just starting the iron. I am a little concerned that this could bring it all back. We'll just wait and see! I think that one of the reasons so many people are symptom free when they are pregnant is because you produce a hormone that slows down your whole digestive system so that your body can absorb as much nutrients as possible for the baby. Maybe these pharmaceutical companies can develop a medicine that acts like that hormone. Sounds too simple though right? Oh well! I do hope your pregnancy makes you feel great too. Congratulations!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.