Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with IBS last year, I have had a colonoscopy and a sigflex. I have some D and C, but always I get an urge to go, I am surprised I have not messed up my insides from all the pushing and straining. I was on Tofranil PM but it caused severe hemmorrhoids, I have been on doses of Prednisone but ended up with heart problems. These both made me feel better. My symptoms have been increasing I use Bentyl prn, doesn't seem to work. Now I am trying Hydrocodone that I had left over from a flu and it relieves the symptoms. What to do?? My doctor recommended trying Metamucil but I am afraid my D will come in full force. I feel helpless

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
While it may say "laxative" on the bottle what fiber does is change the water balance in the stool. So when it is too loose it absorbs it making stool firmer. It also keeps water from leaving the stool making it softer and easier to pass (easing constipation).Just avoid combination products like some versions of Perdiem that have Senna (a stimulatory laxative) added to it.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
While it may say "laxative" on the bottle what fiber does is change the water balance in the stool. So when it is too loose it absorbs it making stool firmer. It also keeps water from leaving the stool making it softer and easier to pass (easing constipation).Just avoid combination products like some versions of Perdiem that have Senna (a stimulatory laxative) added to it.K.

·
Registered
661 Posts
PLEASE avoid narcotics!!! I did the same thing, but it causes narcotic bowel after sometime. I had to go through rehab in April because the tolerance level changed so much. Yes, the stuff gives you energy, now one month later, my energy is just starting to return. I was taking 5/500 Hydrocodone at first 2 times a day, then went to 3 10/500's and 3 month's later was taking 10 a day just to feel normal. I don't want to see you end up in the same place I did. Blessings

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.