Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the post below promted this thoughtNow I have read that your IBS should not wake you at night as the gut goes to sleep with the body but what if (as in my case) your digestion and waking patterns have been knocked out of synch? I worked nights for many months and as a consequence I will waken after only about 20mins sleep (usually very vivid dream sleep) then my bowel would wake up also, it would gurgle and make all the weird noises us IBS suffers know only to well, then I would pass wind (from either end) I would finally get to sleep again after this stopped, but it can go on for 2 hrs or more I used to think that i had excess gas but now I believe that my bowel is waking up for short bursts of action maybe once or twice a night.

·
Registered
61 Posts
While I don't work nights, I too have the same problems If I wake up in the middle of the night. Like you, Diesel, I have to wait for things to calm down, before I can go back to sleep. This even happens if I take a sleep aid like zopiclone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jackWere in the same boat I guess Would you describe the feelings as I have as if your gut is waking up for a little burst of activity, While this is not painful it is very very frustrating as lack of good sleep will lead to further health troubles down the road. I was on temazipan for a fortnight and they really helped me. but as you know once your off them it's back to square 1.a further question JackDoes your stomach actually wake you or do you awaken and then the stomach starts bubbling and percolating?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
When my IBS-D was pretty severe it wouldn't wake me up at night like a stomach bug could, but if I woke up and was awake for long enough to get conscious my gut would wake up too and I'd be headed for the bathroom!So if you're waking up because your body is used to being awake then... I don't think that's IBS waking you up.Re: waking up from dream sleep...that is the time when you are sleeping the lightest and are easiest to wake up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.