Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would fast transit time from mouth to toilet be considered a symptom of IBS? that it something I have always seemed to have, and I wondered if that could account for having skinny stools because it has no time to gain any bulk, sometimes it goes through me in like 7 hours. Also Is it normal when you have Ibs to have minor pains in your left side even when you dont have to go to the bathroom? I'm new at this and just needed some answers, thanks...

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally if you tend to diarrhea the transit time tends to be faster than normal. But that is true of all diarrhea so you can't use that to prove IBS vs any other cause of diarrhea.Being on the diarrhea side of normal (even if just a bit too soft or a bit too loose) can cause the stools to be thin.Pain with IBS can occur at any time. It doesn't have to be just right before a BM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh okay, thank you, mine are usually on the looser side, and I have never been constipated in my life so I would definitely be on the D side, its weird I have always had what I thought was just a sensitive stomach with things like just getting d out of no where but it was never like for days at a time so I never thought about it, but then I started getting really stressed and worked a midnight job and then it just started... its been going on for like 6 months now, and its gotten better, you would think if it was something other than Ibs I would know by now right?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You aren't mentioning any not-IBS symptoms (bloody diarrhea, unexplainable weight loss, random fevers). Have you had any routine blood work since this started.If you haven't a CBC so they can make sure no inflammation is going on and a screening blood test for celiac wouldn't be a bad idea.However things like working the night shift can cause enough physical stress to make things like IBS worse, so that tends to support the idea it is IBS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as for the blood work no not yet, but I plan on it, but I have not had any weight loss, fevers, bloody stools or anything out of the normal, just random minor left side pains, looser thinner stools and diarrhea after eating a big meal, I have always had a sensitive stomach and anxiety.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Those kind of symptoms are really common with IBS, so it probably is, but at least getting a few blood tests is a good idea and see if the doc feels you need anything more than that. Although sometimes with IBS when they symptoms are really typical less testing is better than more. Doing a lot of tests when it is really clear they won't find anything can just make the IBS worse from the stress and anxiety from the tests.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I bet it would I know a lot of testing would take a toll on me for sure, but thank you very much for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clinically, the gastrocolic reflex has been implicated in pathogenesis of irritable bowel syndrome: the very act of eating or drinking can provoke an overreaction of the gastrocolic response in some patients with irritable bowel syndrome due to their heightened visceral sensitivity, and this can lead to abdominal pain, diarrhoea, or constipation.[1] Also, the serotonin (5HT3) antagonist ondansetron decreases the tonic response to stretch.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey Kathleen, you mentioned inflammation being diagnosed via CBC. What tests on a cbc rule in or out inflammation?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Part of the CBC usually is the "sedimentation rate".When there is inflammation in the body that is higher than normal. It is non-specific so it goes up with a lot of things, but it is usually fairly sensitive.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cool, never knew that. So with someone who has IBS, will this generally yield a high(or low) sedimentation rate? Or would IBS not cause anything out of the ordinary and an off scale sediment rate be caused by something else like colitis, divirt, chrons,etc? Thanks for the info

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBSers should have normal sedimentation rates (unless they have an infection or any other kind of thing that sets off the immune system).So the autoimmune diseases of the intestines (colitis, crohns) will elevate that.Since even a mild virus or infection (like a sinus infection) can raise it they usually aren't too concerned if it has been normal and you get one abnormal readin. But if it is consistently elevated they worry about something chronic going on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts