Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what kind of IBS-related laws are out there, such as workplace discrimination, firing for IBS-related problems, etc. I have beencurious about IBS-related laws for a long time. I'm looking mostly for federal laws, but state laws are definitely welcome in this particular threadas long as they relate to Indiana (where I live)

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
have you checked out the fed's osha website? i believe osha regs cover all employers nationwide--or almost all--maybe depends on size??---not sure about that. anyway it's definitely worth checking out.when i was working my employer got real nasty and decided we were only allowed to use the bathroom twice a day, at times designated by them. i went to the osha site and found an area that covered this. one of the things mentioned was that time and frequency of restroom use is determined by the employee not the employer. there was a lot of info there, cases cited etc. sorry i no longer have all that bookmarked but they have a search feature.i also seem to vaguely remember something about a law in place to prevent discrimination (such as firing etc) based on illness or something like that...i believe it had to do with the americans with disabilities act and how ibs is related to that. sorry can't remember exactly. but i think it was discussed either on this board or on the working and careers board quite a while back.if it's a union organization there might be help in the contract or by filing a grievence with the osha info to back you up.good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check that out!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.