Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to give folks hope, but not false hope. Just something to consider, and I'd love feedback on it. The short story is that after combined treatment with Paxil for nervous anxiety and Lipitor for cholesterol my IBS problem seems to have stopped(for the past year or so). Previously it was an almost every day problem.My history: I'm a 40 year old male. I used to have alternating C and D. Earliest occurrences were in my late teens. My worse symptom was 'panic attacks' ... needing to use the bathroom in a hurry ESPECIALLY in inconvenient public settings. I knew where most of the public bathrooms were. Never any public accident, but some close calls. Sometimes but not always cramping and/or pain. I never got an official diagnosis that this was IBS, but from everything I read figured that it was, especially because my mother, a nurse, suffered from it as well and said that's what she had.AND THEN ... Started seeing a new doctor. I talked to him about my nervousness/anxiety in social situations. I ended up on Paxil for anxiety and Lipitor for cholesterol. Bang - no IBS problems. My mother also went on (just) Lipitor because cholestrol is a family thing ;-) and HER IBS became much better.

G

·
hey. you sound like a mirror image of myself. im 17, ibs started at 15. i have alternating c and d (although i have linked d to foods so its stopped) and i have frequent panic attacks when under stress or out in public. ill ask my doctor about paxil, but i know my cholesterol level isnt high because ive excercised constantly and changed diet for almost a year stragiht now. thanks for the advice however.

G

·
hey. you sound like a mirror image of myself. im 17, ibs started at 15. i have alternating c and d (although i have linked d to foods so its stopped) and i have frequent panic attacks when under stress or out in public. ill ask my doctor about paxil, but i know my cholesterol level isnt high because ive excercised constantly and changed diet for almost a year stragiht now. thanks for the advice however.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Great story. I've been using a supplement to control cholesterol for years which has also stopped my GI problems. As I have posted before, I suspect that some cases (certainly mine and yours) of IBS, Fibro, ADD, etc are linked to deposits in the brain that slow circulation.Mark

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Great story. I've been using a supplement to control cholesterol for years which has also stopped my GI problems. As I have posted before, I suspect that some cases (certainly mine and yours) of IBS, Fibro, ADD, etc are linked to deposits in the brain that slow circulation.Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just want to let dc2002 that he doesn't know what his cholesterol is without getting it checked. When my doctor 1st let me know that my cholesterol was high I asked to deal with it naturally. I exercised (bike and treadmill) everyday at least 45 minutes and got even more strict with my diet. I say even more strict because we were practically vegetarians as it was ... I only ate red meat when dining out once a week. I even cut that out and my cholesterol didn't change a bit. You just don't know based on your lifestyle and diet - you have to get a blood test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want to let dc2002 that he doesn't know what his cholesterol is without getting it checked. When my doctor 1st let me know that my cholesterol was high I asked to deal with it naturally. I exercised (bike and treadmill) everyday at least 45 minutes and got even more strict with my diet. I say even more strict because we were practically vegetarians as it was ... I only ate red meat when dining out once a week. I even cut that out and my cholesterol didn't change a bit. You just don't know based on your lifestyle and diet - you have to get a blood test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.