Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined today and could use some clarification from those who are living with this strange disease. I was diagnosed with IBS in 1991, and had a truly terrible time with it until 1994. It went away as quickly as it came on with attacks that were few and far between. (Thank God!) I have been, what I thought, relatively symptom free until recently. I thought I was having a gallbladder attack, nausea, gagging, cold chills, hot, severe pain in upper right side, hard to breathe, and constipated. My doctor was convinced it was gallbladder but all tests are negative. He wants to do more, very expensive testing, and honestly I just am tired of being poked and prodded. I took a valium last night to help me finally sleep, and woke up with much relieved chest tightness and the nausea has subsided. I am beginning to suspect the IBS has returned. Oh, I also did Atkins diet for 6 months and went off and started eating carbs again. Could this have triggered it???? My doc says he did Atkins and nothing happened to him (duh,) so I am grabbing for straws to figure out what is happening. Thanks for listening and any advice or suggestions are much appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi there, im sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Its definatly no fun at all. I just wanted to tell you that the gall bladder tests can come back normal but still be either infected or just not working properly. I have talked to countless people who this has happened to, but it also could be the ibs. I know the feeling of not wanting to go though more tests. I hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
164 Posts
I doubt it was the reintroduction of carbs in your diet that brought this on. You need to look at what is going on in your life right now; what is stressing you out. The Atkins Diet won't cause IBS, but depending how you did it, it could make a case of IBS worse. For example, I was eating a lot of raw vegetables on the Atkins. This isn't advisable for someone with IBS--the roughage tends to aggravate the gut. You will want to include simpler carbohydrates into your diet. The more complex carbs, while desirable in the maintenance phase of Atkins, can be tough on someone with IBS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.