Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i'm sick of this ibs ######... hahah...... it's ruining my life. docs can't do anything for me. i don't know what to do anymore. tired of my issues. tired of having to prepare to go out somewhere for 4 hours in advance. tired of ordering bread and water at restaurants. tired of feeling trapped if i don't get an aisle seat on a plane or at the movies. i don't enjoy doing things anymore because the majority of the time i feel like i have to visit the bathroom multiple times. anybody figure out the miracle remedy? tried the fiber supplements, tried eating more fiber cutting out junk, tried limiting the wheat gluten thing, tried the rolaids pepto immodium thing, docs prescribed some low dose anti depressants and i hated those, tried the vegetarian thing. so far the only thing that's helped me manage things is to #### my brains out like 6-7 times over several hours until there is nothing left and even then there's no guarantee although that's what has worked for me but then i'm tired the rest of the day. any advice?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't understand why someone would decide to become a vegetarian with IBS. The problem is a lack of bacteria necessary to break down most plant matter...Would you try to save a drowning person by giving them water? Seriously...The level of ignorance involved with people in this situation is unheard of.You MUST find out what foods cause your symptoms. Then, stop eating them. I once loved broccoli. Now, if I eat it, trouble comes. So, what do I do? I don't eat the f-ing broccoli!Put on a scientific mind and think it out. Oh, that makes me sick. I won't eat it.Instead, most IBSers want to whine. Why don't people who know they are allergic to apples, etc. bi#ch as much?Think... Then act. Otherwise, until there is a cure, you have to figure out how to manage.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
There are no hard and fast rules, because, as far as we can tell, this is not just one condition. Cigarettes and then foods caused my reactions, presumably in concert with some low level inflammation, for 10 years--3650 days--straight. I lucked into a supplement that had an unknown anti-inflammatory side effect and have been able to eat (and drink) anything without significant reactions for over 10 years. I have even been able to eat a vegetarian diet without taking anything to alter my flora at all. You are right, this does take management and it does take experimentation and there is a lot of whining here; but, sadly, nothing is straightforward.Mark

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Um,... Felix??? what you said may be what YOU found for YOU. But saying:
You MUST find out what foods cause your symptoms. Then, stop eating them.
Will never be true for everyone. It is an inaccurate statement if you are applying to everyone.For many of us ..our symptoms have nothing to do with what we eat. They have more to do with the fact THAT we eat.Personally??? I found this statement offensive & disrespectful:
The level of ignorance involved with people in this situation is unheard of.
and I am sure others might as well. It is not in the spirit of this BB community to call other's "ignorant" because what we do to manage our symptoms is not exactly what you do. This isn't "you are wrong and we are right" or "you are right and we are wrong" Felix. Doesn't work that way. It is whatever one finds that works. IBS is unique for all of us. What works for one person won't work for another.So by all means... share what has worked for you... but please refrain from disrespecting other's methods of symptom management.Thank you.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
MiserIBSLyHave you tried taking imodium WITH meals as a preventative? If one tab is too much I break them in half.Also have you tried Calcium Carbonate??? See the 'Linda's Calcium' Thread thumb-tacked to the top of this forum page for more info.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I decided to edit my previous statement as it was a bit over the top. Sorry had a bit of a rubbish day and wasn't in a very composed mood at the time. I will ignore the comments by the felixcat.MiserIBSLy I'm really sorry that you are having a tough time. I always found that the mornings were the worst for me as well. I agree that it can make you feel really tired when you have been on the toilet for hours. In the end I took immodiums everyday and that helped me get into more of a routine. I'm not sure if you tried that? I know everyone is different but when I used to take them occassionally they didn't help much but taking them every morning as soon as I got out of bed did help a bit. It didn't stop the morning problems but I could almost have a schedule and just about get to work on time.If you are still having problems, I would go back to the doctors again or perhaps try a different doctor. Different doctors have different ideas and another one might be able to help you a bit more. Always worth a try.Hope this helps a bitClaire

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Ok speaking as a Moderator now, I understand that Felix has rubbed folks the wrong way and we have made that clear to them. So I think it is time to let go of that and get back to maybe offering the original poster, miserIBSLy, some help???Thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
hi BQ,Sorry about that. I got a bit rattled after a bad day and as a Leo - fire sign, I sometimes tend to blow up a little bit so I have edited that last post. After I read it again I thought it would be more beneficial to add something a bit more helpful than a full on rant.
Claire

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.