Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone asked about IBS and planes. Now I am wondering if anyone here has gone SCUBA diving that has IBS ? Deep diving you can pass through up to 3 atmospheres, and there is no pressurised cabin to regulate the pressure, just your body. Hopefully I will feel well enough to go diving and I was just wondering.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was wondering about this too, BadCat. Especially if you have gas!
The thought of going makes me nervous, so of course I end up with a "D" attack and have thus far banished the idea of finishing my certification. Of course, some people have no qualms about "going" right there in the water, but that would be too traumatic for me. In fact, it is so anxiety-producing, that I think that is probably another factor to consider, i.e., hyperventilating on compressed air.I'd really love to know what anyone's experience is with this.Bev

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was wondering about this too, BadCat. Especially if you have gas!
The thought of going makes me nervous, so of course I end up with a "D" attack and have thus far banished the idea of finishing my certification. Of course, some people have no qualms about "going" right there in the water, but that would be too traumatic for me. In fact, it is so anxiety-producing, that I think that is probably another factor to consider, i.e., hyperventilating on compressed air.I'd really love to know what anyone's experience is with this.Bev

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bev: I am a certified Rescue Diver, but due to health reasons I have not done it in around a year. I live in Florida so get to do it all year, and I cant tell you how wonderful it is down there. There are lots of great classes, so I urge you to give it a try. Hey, why not try snorkelling first ? What I am worried about is the change in air pressure on the abdomen and its contents. I cant imagine an IBS-D attack at 70feet under the ocean.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bev: I am a certified Rescue Diver, but due to health reasons I have not done it in around a year. I live in Florida so get to do it all year, and I cant tell you how wonderful it is down there. There are lots of great classes, so I urge you to give it a try. Hey, why not try snorkelling first ? What I am worried about is the change in air pressure on the abdomen and its contents. I cant imagine an IBS-D attack at 70feet under the ocean.------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump...I'm still curious...any fellow SCUBA DIVERS out there?------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump...I'm still curious...any fellow SCUBA DIVERS out there?------------------Brenda S, R.N.This too shall pass !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.