Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new here and need some input from experienced minds. I am 37, 5'10" 215 lbs. I have had a persistant burning feeling in the upper left quadrant of my abdomen for about 8 months. Had endoscopy done, have esophogeal and stomach leasions as well as inflamation. Had a colonoscopy done today, results are a spastic colon. I also have gallstones, and will schedule surgery soon. Main concern is this, with the removal of my gallbladder will this lessen the colon issues, eliminate them or what? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You should talk this over with your doctor and/or get a second opinion if you don't trust your primary doctor. However, here's what I know.The burning in your chest sounds like acid-reflux -- although perhaps gallstones can affect the amount of acid in your stomach, I'm not sure. If it is acid-reflux, then I don't think the gallstone surgery will affect that at all. I had my gallbladder taken out due to gallstones and still have acid-reflux. In fact, got it worse after the surgery.The diagnosis of "spastic colon" is not something your doctor can diagnose directly with a colonoscopy/endoscopy. Spastic colon and IBS are the exact same thing -- just different names. Both of them describe a disorder, which is defined by symptoms reported by the patient. No test can say whether you have IBS or not. What your doctor did is listen to all of your symptoms, and then after excluding other conditions that you can test for in a colonoscopy (like colitis or chron's disease), felt that IBS was probably the culprit. Many people diagnosed with IBS are misdiagnosed, though. You should make sure you are not just lactose intolerant, or intolerant toward other foods like fructose. Also, unless he already did so, your doctor should probably test your stool for bacteria. Don't believe any doctor that tells you not having a gallbladder won't change your life at all. The gallbladder's function is to store bile. Generally the body is fine without a gallbladder (that is, it can function). However, it is estimated that in 10% of people, without a gallbladder, too much bile constantly will get dumped into the stomach. This can cause diarrhea and other problems (i.e. making your symptoms worse). People who have this problem generally find some relief by taking Questran, but it may have to be taken for the rest of your life, and sometimes you can't get complete relief. Regardless of if you fall into the 10% category, people without a gallbladder have to eat in a certain way. They can't eat foods too high in fat -- usually fried foods aren't allowed. These foods usually cause diarrhea. Also, you have to be careful about eating big meals, which can also cause diarrhea. So, the short answer is that having your gallbladder out will relieve your gallstone problems. That's great because gallstone problems can be life threatening. However, you will have to at least slightly change your eating patterns after your surgery for life. Also, there is a small chance that you can develop what I described above, which means you may have to take medicine for life and may always have some "stomach problems." The good news is that all of these problems are not life threatening, but they can be quite inconvenient and difficult to deal with. BackFire44

·
Registered
61 Posts
Joe, can you describe the pain from your gallstones? Is it off and on, and where exactly is it? I am wondering if I have a gallstone problem myself and am going to go in to have it checked out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JeanieK, the pain is off and on. Shoots from below sternum to pubic bone. The stones were discovered via ultrasound. My initial complaint to the DR. was a persistant sometimes crippling pain on my left side and irregular bowel movements. I am just wondering if blocked ducting in the area of my gallbladder is contributing to the IBS since bile is caustic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been out from work for over a month now. It all started with a kidney infection and then last week I was diagnosed with gallstones and was scheduled to have a pipida scan. I had the pipida scan on Tuesday and they said that although I'm still in pain that since the scan showed that since there were no stones in my ducts they think that I must be having bad gas pains. When I had the pipida scan on Wed they didn't do the whole thing. They left out the part that makes your gallbladder contract. They didn't want any stones to go up into the ducts. I have to say I was confused when they told me everything was normal. I mean it took forever for my gallbladder to show on the scan and I am still having dull continuous pains under my right rib cage, in between my shoulder blades and in my lower right back. At times, the pains increase and become intense to where it feels like I'm being stabbed. I'm trying to take the medicine he wanted me to take for the IBS and I'm still hurting. I called the doctor and his nurse blew it all off like it's no big deal. Right now, I'm at a loss of what to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.