Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am so glad to have found this website. Here is my story. I am 26 y.o male living in SYDNEY Australia. About 6 years ago, I began suffering from at the time I thought to be a 24 hour virus. No vomiting, just running to the bathroom, dry reaching and diarrhea. This lasted a few days, then went away completely hence assuming was a virus. Then one week later my life changed dramatically. The symptoms of extreme stomach and lower abdominal pains, not eating right, fever, headaches, nausea, constipation, the feeling of needing to go to the bathroom etc were all so severe I tried to commit suicide. I could not manage it, I don't know where this all came from or what I done to deserve it. I was only 20 years old and wanted to enjoy my life. Over the first 4 year period, I under went many tests ranging from endoscopy/colonoscopy - CT Scan of my GUT, Barium Meal test which tests the processing time it takes for food to pass from the stomach to the intestines etc. They found things like blastocystis hominis which is a parasite that is in everyone, and told me this is the cause of my problem. I then went on a 10 day drug treatment coarse which I would NOT recommend to anyone. The medication made me at the time feel worse, although the next week after the treatment I felt great, then it all came back again. They then thought it could be Chron's but this was ruled out after the many tests I received for this. I had chronic gastritis and inflammatory duodenum which they did not know the cause of this. Over the 6 years, I have been on many types of medications ranging from Nexium, Anti-depressants, Flagyl, Mintec and the list just goes on and on and on. As I stand today, my symptoms are still current, everyday, not one day goes past and I don't feel any sign on relief, although they are far better than what they were when this all began. So my teenage years did not exist, I can not drink alcohol no more, nor can I smoke anymore, there are many foods I have had to eliminate over the years, I tried everything and nothing work. BUT today I receive my first lot of VSL #3. This is an extremely potent probiotic containing 450 BILLION strains of the god bacteria. I have heard and read mixed reviews of this, but thought stuff it, I am going to give this a go, so today I took my first sachet. At this stage its too early to let you know how this has helped or not helped me, but I would love to keep you all informed of my progression. This is a dreadful thing to have, especially when you know you can't control it and just want to fix it. I would love to hear some feedback or suggestion to my problem. Doctors just keep passing the buck, because there is nothing they can do about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry just for the record a Barium Meal is the same as a gastric emptying test, it's just want they call it in Australia. All my tests showed Negative and functioning the way it should and everything inside looks normal so yeah. IBS suxs big time.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Gastric Emptying here (US) usually is a radioactive meal that is traced where the tracer is mixed with real food.Barium can be used to visualize the stomach and small intestine but doesn't always move with the same timing actual food does.However IBS typically is normal on all tests for other GI problems.Hopefully the VSL #3 will help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They injected the radioactive stuff into cooked egg white. I watched it go through my system on a huge screen, was quite amazing. Thanks for your kind words Kathleen, hopefully the VSL #3 helps me to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geesh I am really sorry that is correct. I have had both Barium Meal and a Gastric Empty, now I feel really silly. Yes you are correct, the Barium Meal was the Chalky Drink I had to the drink. Then they showed my gut on the screen and I could see my Intestinal Tract light up. The Gastric Empty was when I had the Egg White and they used this to time how long it would take to process (something like that anyway) so again my sincere apologies if I have confused anyone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi I really feel for you especially being so young.I have suffered with ibs for many many years but this last year has been really bad. I finally ddecided to go to a naturaopathic doctor and it has really helped . Still have it but not as bad as it used to be. They gave me oregacillin to kill all the bacteria in the gut and different kinds of herbs to heal my digestive system and these have helped alot more than anything the Doctors gave me . I tried to buy herbs on my own but I advise you see a naturopathic DR at least for a couple of visits so you know what to take and how much She gave me l-glutamine now and I have tried it for only a few days and it has made a huge difference. Look it up on the internet there is a lot of informaation on it. It is suppose to heal the gut.nI just but the hypno tapes that people on these threads have talked about . Many people also got really good resullts from these. I refuse to believe that I can't do something about this. Don't give up. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.