Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about trying to start an IBS support group somewhere in central Scotland. According to the Gut Trust charity, there is no group currently active at all in the whole of Scotland, unlike the rest of the UK, and they suggested I try to start one. So is anyone here on this board from Scotland, and if so, would you be interested in joining a support group? I've never been to anything like that before, but I was thinking it would be great for discussing successful remedies, research and also just coping mechanisms for people who have this disease really badly. I live in Glasgow, but would be happy to base it in Edinburgh or even somewhere between the two cities if more people were from there.Moderators - I stuck this in the main forum cos it's not referring to a current group - I hope that's OK.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hello Naomi889I certainly would be interested in a Support Group as i suffer severe ibs,i live in Glasgow so that would be ideal as i can not travel far,but i do understand if you make it in Edinburgh to suit other sufferers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh great, thanks for getting back to me. Sounds like Glasgow is the place then. We could have it in my flat, or I could try to fix on an official venue when I get more people. Thanks very much for your offer of help, Gemmall. I'm going to get in back in touch with the Gut Trust for more detail on what ought to be involved, then I will get back to you. In the meantime I hope we get a few more people interested.

·
Registered
722 Posts
So...know what you mean.My IBS relates to me what i can and cant do.But i will do my upmost to get to support group if it starts up,as i'm sure you will.It would be great to meet others suffering like ourselves.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Diana63,I saw you had posted again on a new thread asking about the IBS support group in Scotland I was trying to set up. I thought it would be a good idea to continue the discussion on this thread in case anyone else who is interested reads it.I was in touch with the Gut Trust again about this and they put me in contact with a lady in England who runs a very successful group. She advised me that the main problem was trying to get enough people to come each month (not surprisingly, I think, since most of us find that our lives are totally dictated by our symptoms!). So I thought I would wait a bit longer until I had a decent no. of people interested until I had the first meeting. There seem to be four of us at the moment. If anyone else might be interested please let us know here. I think it probably would be in Glasgow, perhaps in the West End as that is where I stay. I am also wondering if I should put posters up, or something?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hello Naomi889I have sent you a PM but not sure if i have done it properly,hope i have,maybe you could let me know.I am still interested in support group.What about a poster in your GP surgery?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, that's a really good idea about the GP's surgery Diana, thanks, I'll do that. I got your PM too so I'll send you a reply or an email. If I have any more details about the support group I'll post them on this thread too so the others who were interested can read them

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi there im from Glasgow too, i suffer from pretty bad IBS and would be pretty grateful to be able to discuss my problems with other people who suffer from the same problems. Also a very good listener, if we could get something set up in Glasgow that would be excellent.Jamie.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh good, another potential member. Apologies for being so slow in setting this up, but I've just been really struggling just to cope with my symptoms and hold down my job right now it's so bad. But I will definitely set this group up soon.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can definetely understand that! Anyways it would be nice to get something up and running soon, so il be checking this thread regularly for any updates.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.