Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 35 Male and had IBS between the age of 20-22, IBS is usually caused by an emotional problem, but this doesn't mean that you are emotionally different from anyone else, it can be due to life circumstances, something that has happened. Anyway, I went through hell. My whole life was turned right upsidown. But for me, that was a long time ago but I would be more than happy to speak with anyone who is going through this right now. Looking back on it, the problem is that you cannot see the cause when you are in it and that is why it becomes so frightening also. my IBS (what I had) was a somatoform disorder - usually emotions that have no outlet so present physicaly. The physical symptoms are real and not something that the mind make up. Anyway I would be please to hear from anyone who needs sound advice

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Emotions can play a very big part in IBS in a lot of IBSers, but IBS is not caused by emotions. When an emotion triggers the underlying disorder this is a psychophysiological responce.Good to hear thouggh you are doing better.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interesting story. Only two years and never again? I'm intrigued.My mom tops you though
Several months with a really bad bout and never again! Not to say that she doesn't continue to have a symptom every now and again. But she's been functional for 20 years and it has never gotten that bad again!I'm hopeful. Its been a year and 3.5 months for me. Maybe its almost over! Anyway, definitely glad to here that there are those of us who don't go on to be miserable for the rest of our lives!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.