Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have IBS-D. I was wondering, do many of you experience a tight chest at times? Sometimes I feel like I can't breathe well, and thought maybe it has something to do with tight stomach muscles? Also, do many of you get flushed at times? After I go to the bathroom in the morning, I get flushed, and panicky. How do you deal with this, if you do get this? I have panic disorder as well, and worry about each new symptom, so I would really appreciate any of your thoughts. Thank you.Emma

·
Registered
117 Posts
Emma, I know that stress definitely sets of the IBS-D for me, and am trying to get it under control. I hope you are trying to manage your panic disorder(esp. if that triggers your D). If not, for starters you can "hop to" the CBT/Hypnotherapy and Anxiety Forum and get some ideas (see bottom right of screen). I would definitely see a doctor about the chest pain although I seem to remember reading that it could be caused by a panic attack. Better to get a professional opinion though...In the meantime, try the gut relaxation technique outlined by Eric -- that works very well. Hang in there and try to focus on positive things in your life. Take care.S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also feel really anxious when I have D. I feel really hot and like I am going to faint. It usually fades after I feel sure that the episodes are over. I hope that you can find something to help you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, everyone, for your replies! You've helped to ease my mind a bit about my IBS-D nervous attacks. I did have my thyroid tested recently--twice, actually, and it was normal. I do have a lot of similar symptoms, though. I'm starting CBT soon. Has it been helpful for you? Thanks again.Emma

·
Registered
338 Posts
When I have the D with IBS, I get those bad cramps, sit on the throne and feel like I am going to passed out or throw up, I also have panic attacks and I will get to feeling, panicky, shaky, fast heartrate and I even get light headed(dizzy), plus sometimes I will break out in a sweat. I don't have the tight chest feeling. The way I cope with these episodes, it to fan myself and try to stayed foscus on a magazine article or a sell cicular, there is nothing like catching up with reading while on the throne with an IBS attack
and I will try breathing exercises, like you do when you are having a baby, lamaze breathing, those cramps can feel like having a baby sometimes:O0 I think that IBS symptoms can effect our nervous systems, and maybe more so in people who has anxiety/panic attacks. God Bless[This message has been edited by LadyM (edited 02-26-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear you suffer from panic attacks + ibs...I do too and it is so hard to manage. If I go out, I will suddenly think that I really have to go to the bathroom, I'll blush , want to escape, feel very bad and just want to cry. In those moments my husband knows it is time to reassure me and tell me we can go home if i want. This usually helps a bit.I found that peppermint tea helps me ...Hope it could help you too! Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.