Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, glad to have found this forum. I have been having symptoms since I was 19-6 years ago. It started with gas and bloating after meals, now it is extreme pain, cramps, bloating, gas after eating-and it wont go away once it starts. I have pain from my hips all the way up under my ribs, my sides and even my back. Anyone else? I went to a GI doc and they did a barium enema test on me and said it was clean and normal-no abnormalities. They said I have IBS b/c of my symptoms. But I do not have diarreha anymore then normal and I usually do go everyday-if I dont the pain is worse. Sometimes I have to strain and now I think I have a hemorroid (pleasant) How would I know if I have one? I know there is something back there.Anyhow I have been on Levbid and it didnt help so I stopped that now I just take enzymes and it sometimes helps a little. I am tired of always being sick and I feel like it has turned me into a hypochondriac b/c I am contantly searching for the reason I am sick all the time. Can someone tell me if my symptoms are normal for IBS even though I am not really constipated or having diarreha. I have the cramps, pain, bloating daily after meals and have since I was 19 with no breaks. Any help or information would be so appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, welcome to the board! I have also joined fairly recently and have found all the info quite helpful. It is comforting to realize that others have symptoms just like yours. My symptoms are identical! I have gas/bloating/abdominal distention/pain with no D or C. I have had all the appropriate tests and my GI doctor says IBS. I had never even heard of IBS! I have since spent a great deal of time learning as much as possible about IBS because I was desperate for some answers. I have made some progress with treating my symptoms. These are some of the things I have found to lessen my symptoms:*Take Benefiber (soluble fiber) 1 TBS 3X/day.*NO dairy (this was very tough, but it really helps) Use soy or rice substitutes*NO red meat*Drink LOTS of water*Don't eat salads, raw veggies, whole grains on an empty stomach. These are good for you but always eat some soluble fiber first like pasta, sour dough bread or plain potatoes. Cooked veggies cause me less pain than raw.*try to eat as low fat as possible no fried foods*don't overeat! *drink peppermint tea for pain, fennel tea for bloating*exercise*gets some books and cookbooks on IBS and educate yourself*don't let the Dr. write you a script and send you on your way. There is NO pill that is a quick fix. They can help, but you have to take responsibility for taking care of yourself.*yoga, relaxation I hope these suggestions help you. Everyone is different so it can be a lot of trial and error until you find what works best for you. Best of luck. artist

·
Registered
273 Posts
The strange thing is it's different for everyone. I can eat meat, fat, but NO carbohydrates. I have to limit carbs or I bloat right back up.Laurie

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
very few similarities between Artist and me. I am more like still naked. I have to watch carbs very carefully. No grain, no sugar, no dairy, no rice (became allergic after I switched from wheat), no fruit.I can eat meat but not beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey.My IBS is due to some weird combination of immune system and intestinal dysbiosis (yeast, bacteria, mycoplasma, mycobacteria????????)

·
Registered
35 Posts
"gas/bloating/abdominal distention/pain" is a form of constipation. This is especially true if you are straining to have a bowel movement once a day. You may not be constipated to the same extent as many people (for days on end) but what you are describing sounds like constipation.I unfortunately am of an IBS-D more then an IBS-C nature. For the gas, i recommend the over the counter products with Simethicone, such as Phazyme. You would be amazed how much pain just as you described is caused by gas.Avoid foods such as radishes, cucumbers, peppers, brocoli, cauliflower, onions, and cabbage. . .especially on an empty stomach if not altogether avoiding them! These are known gas producers for anyone.I have found ginger ale can be good for causing me to burp when I can not pass the gas any other way. Good luck and you are not alone!Alexis

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am just wondering if you have been tested for lactose intolerence or wheat allergy. Sometime just altering your diet will not give you enough evidence b/c these things are hidden in almost everything. There are forms of lactose are named things that I cannot even pronounce. Symptoms for both of these can very greatly from mild to severe. These test are very easy and non evasive, so I would definately rule them out!

·
Registered
897 Posts
There are two easy, low cost ways to check for lactose intolerance. One, cosume no dairy for 10 days. Two, take Lactaid or other product for awhile when you eat dairy. I'm thrilled all of you out there have health insurance that covers all doctors' visits--mine stops after 4 in a year--and unlimited testing no matter the cost or need.

·
Registered
24 Posts
People with lactose intolerance do not always respond to lactaid. As a matter of fact it only works in about 50% of the people (myself not being one of them). In addition to that eliminating dairy for a couple weeks does not always work, and it did not for me. My tests all came back off the charts. So the only way to conclusively rule it out, is to perform the tests. I know an individual that it took 3 months on an extremely cautious diet before they saw any relief, so there are exceptions to the rules.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have nearly the same symptoms. I have read that it is connected with yeast (candida) and have bought the book "The Yeast Connection". Ask your doc for nyastatin to kill the yeast. It should relieve your allergy symptoms and eventually your body will be able to heal itself instead of fighting food allergies. Change your diet like the book says. Hard at first-but well worth the results. Keep taking enzymes and try aloe for healing. Liquid minerals and acidophilus (found in yogurt or supplements) will help.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I tried most of the things artist mentioned, with no relief. Now I eat and drink what I want, with virtually no problems--though I am still under chronic stress. Because for me, after six months of daily D--first thing in the morning until 10am and then after dinner--THERE WAS A PILL THAT WAS A QUICK FIX. Xanax .25 mg morning and night...now I can live life like a normal person. Feel free to say IBS causes stress, for me the only relief came when I decided to try what would happen if I focused on the stress and found a way to treat it. It worked for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First of all I'm new, and a tradesman who doesn't have the greatest writing skills so please bear with me. I've been gasy since 7th grade, first diag. lactose intolerant 9 yrs. ago, then told I had IBS after I had all the tests. Presently my symptoms are diareha, constipation, cramps, pain, not so much gas but I leak out the back end. A smelly liquid comes out my backside and it's worse than gas cause I give off a bad smell. I don't eat anything processed, I do: eat fruit,veg. & meat. I have acidophilis milk in the morning. The breads and carbs seem to give me a lot of trouble. And if I by chance have a lot of sugar at one time I feel drained energy wise for a couple a days after. Fatigue happens in a cycle with me. By the end of the week I'm bagged. I'm on Metamucil now 3x/day. Meds that didn't work for me Diecatil, and Modulon. Organic foods seem to create fewer symptoms. One last symptom that freaks me out there are times that if I'm sitting I feel as though my rectum is prolapsed. I wish all the best. Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts