Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctors basically ignore me - GP - GE - Cardiologist - when I tell them I have quick onset diarrhea. They tell me its old age or the GE tells me that the stomach sends a message to the brain that there is a lot of food coming so evacuate the intestines. The brain and intestines overreact and; instead of waiting a few hours; they deluge the intestines with fluid to empty the large intestines. And then no pain - no warning - no stopping - its over. When this started a few years ago it was just after a large meal - any food - now it sometimes happens when I eat a moderate meal, any food. Never after I eat a small meal, say a bowl of cereal with no milk. The only test I have had is for celiac, and that was because I insisted, my Daughter was diagnosed with Celiac and made me get the test. The result was no indication of Celiac. I searched through the Forum and could not find my exact symptoms but that could be my searching skills are poor - I apologise if this a repeat query. Any help would be appreciated. BILL :)OH yea my toes are numb and they tell me - "you may just have to live with it."

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Very common with IBS.The Gastrocolic reflex is the stomach telling the intestines (small and large) to "get a move on" to make way for the new meal.Larger, fattier meals tend to be more likely to go from "move it along" to "flush it all out" but it can happen with all meals.Have you tried taking an antispasmodic (assuming they will prescribe one, or try some peppermint tea) 20-30 minutes before the meal?Have you tried a small dose of Imodium 20-30 minutes before a meal?Two common ways of dealing with this.Every single human has an increase in colon activity after every meal every single day of their life, that is normal. But with functional bowel problems that normal signal can get disrupted in a way that makes your body over react to it.It may not be dumping in a lot of extra new water, just may not have time to extract the water that it dumped in when you first ate it. Stool enters the colon as a liquid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very common with IBS.The Gastrocolic reflex is the stomach telling the intestines (small and large) to "get a move on" to make way for the new meal.Larger, fattier meals tend to be more likely to go from "move it along" to "flush it all out" but it can happen with all meals.Have you tried taking an antispasmodic (assuming they will prescribe one, or try some peppermint tea) 20-30 minutes before the meal?Have you tried a small dose of Imodium 20-30 minutes before a meal?Two common ways of dealing with this.Every single human has an increase in colon activity after every meal every single day of their life, that is normal. But with functional bowel problems that normal signal can get disrupted in a way that makes your body over react to it.It may not be dumping in a lot of extra new water, just may not have time to extract the water that it dumped in when you first ate it. Stool enters the colon as a liquid.
Thanks Kathleen - I'll try those suggestions and see what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.