Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this board and have some questions if someone would be so kind to respond.I am a 41 yr. old female, married, 2 children. I take no medications other than an occasional Tylenol for headaches. I am a smoker and drink a lot of Pepsi. In mid-April my son was sick & I was very worried about him. I wasn't eating and began having diarrhea. The diarrhea lasted for approx. 2 weeks. There was no major discomfort with the diarrhea just lots of rumbling in my gut, and my stomach, for lack of a better word, felt "nervous". No nausea or vomitting. I also had a "burning" sensation in the center and toward the right of my upper abdomen & below my ribs. Am not losing any weight.I went to see my doctor who never touched me, only asked me some questions. He gave me a prescription for Librax (which I filled but did not take), Aciphex for 7 days(which stops the production of acid in the stomach),& ordered stool samples for occult blood. He then diagnosed me with IBS.The Aciphex alleviated the "burning" sensation, I only have watery stools on occassion (usually at the end of a formed bowel movement), and the occult blood test was negative.I questioned him regarding the possibility of more tests. He said the barium swallows (Upper GI) was pretty obsolete, didn't think a blood work-up was necessary but he did order an ultra sound of my biliary tree (gall bladder, spleen, liver, pancreas) after much coaxing from me which I had done yesterday morning. The technician led me to believe that everything there looked fine.Because the "burning" sensation I described previously began after 7 days of Aciphex he prescribed a 1 month regimen of the drug.My major problem now is a lot of gas and fear that the diarrhea will start up again & that I have more wrong with me than IBS. Whenever my stomach or intestines start rumbling I start getting nervous - a viscious circle.
Is this the typical symptoms of IBS. If so, how do you alleviate the symptoms?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Obeone,I know that some people more knowledgable than I am will give you a better and more thorough answer than I am going to! But I wanted to resopond because I am an IBS-D and my symptoms are exactly the same as yours, except for the burning. I have to say that I think your doctor missed a couple tests. Mine said she thought I had IBS, but had to rule everything out first and therefore I was tested for colitis and colon cancer (in addition to the tests you've already received) before getting my official diagnosis. In my opinion, IBS is a cop-out diagnosis IF everything else has not already been ruled out.If, in fact, you do have IBS, I would first cut out the Pepsi. I know, it's not easy! I just recently cut out diet Coke and I can't tell you what a difference it has made. The caffeine is a big trigger for many of us, as is high fructose corn syrup (in regular soda) and aspartame (in diet soda). I would say to cut out smoking, but I smoke too (and don't plan on quitting any time soon!) and I seem to have things under control with diet. I stay away from anything fried or greasy, raw fruits and veggies, dairy, red meat (I can eat a small amount and be okay), and whole grains. BUT, that is me. Everyone's trigger foods are different so you need to learn what works for you. It is a long process; I was diagnosed over a year ago and just now feel like I have this thing under control. I also do not take medications of any sort (used to be an Excedrin addict), but I think I am a rarity. I've noticed that a lot of people on this board take something for their symptoms.Hope this helps.Jane

·
Registered
222 Posts
It sounds like your doctor was rather cursory in giving you a diagnosis. Do you have any pain? It seems you have burning, but not pain (which is more associated with IBS). I am no expert though.I quit smoking a year ago and developed IBS 1 year later! Really, though, my life was so much better as a result, after 10 years of smoking it's wonderful to be free. I swear it is worth trying!Jane, I'm so glad to hear you're doing so well w. the d.c. and everything!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.