Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,I'm new here, and am wondering if what I have thought was IBS-D-P really matches the symptoms that others have. It may be helpful to many of us to see what symptoms we really have in common. What caught my eye recently was the statement that IBS is characterized by pain/bloating etc. BEFORE a BM. For me, all these symptoms start AFTER a BM. Don't know how much difference this makes, but it sounds like a significant difference.I feel fine right up to the BM, but then, immediately after, feel pain in abdomen (top to bottom), heavy duty fatigue that builds over the next 5-8 hours, difficulty concentrating, physical weakness, EXTREME hunger, glassy eyes. These symptoms usually only follow a BM in which the muscles of the rectum feel loose and flaccid and the BM is somewhat watery.It may be helpful to some out there to know that taking 12 625 mg psyllium fiber capsules per day has tremendously helped the D aspect of my symtoms and some of the other symptoms I have read about on this BB.The main triggers for me seem to be food, especially caffeine, alcohol, anything fermented, hot spices, sugar.It may be helpful to others to know whether symptoms begin before or after the BM. Good luck to all of us!!!JBB

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally it is common for pain or discomfort to preceed the BM, but it is NOT required.Pain or discomfort that is associated with a change in stool frequency or consistancy may not be prior to the BM and may not be relieved by the BM.Dehydration might explain some of the post loose stools symptoms you are having. Dehydration can sneak up on you pretty easily. Also you have to remember that stress (emotional or physical) has effects on the body and some of this could be a response to the physical stress of the IBS flare up or the emotional stress from the flare. Most of the time when I feel like you describe I have not been drinking enough water.When my IBS was mild mostly I had crampiness that went away when I had a BM. When it got severe nothing relieved the pain and discomfort and a BM could make it worse.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally it is common for pain or discomfort to preceed the BM, but it is NOT required.Pain or discomfort that is associated with a change in stool frequency or consistancy may not be prior to the BM and may not be relieved by the BM.Dehydration might explain some of the post loose stools symptoms you are having. Dehydration can sneak up on you pretty easily. Also you have to remember that stress (emotional or physical) has effects on the body and some of this could be a response to the physical stress of the IBS flare up or the emotional stress from the flare. Most of the time when I feel like you describe I have not been drinking enough water.When my IBS was mild mostly I had crampiness that went away when I had a BM. When it got severe nothing relieved the pain and discomfort and a BM could make it worse.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi.You sound exactly like me. I tend to have more discomfort after the 'D' BM and then go downhill for pretty much the rest of the day, until evening time when the fog lifts. Do you get dehydrated like Kmottus suggests (dry thoat, darker and less urine with a sort of dazed sensation?). If so try drinking 2/3 litres of bottled water a day, I've found this helps with fatigue and dehydration symptoms.Let me know if this helps (email me), I would be very interested.All the best and good luck!Andy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi.You sound exactly like me. I tend to have more discomfort after the 'D' BM and then go downhill for pretty much the rest of the day, until evening time when the fog lifts. Do you get dehydrated like Kmottus suggests (dry thoat, darker and less urine with a sort of dazed sensation?). If so try drinking 2/3 litres of bottled water a day, I've found this helps with fatigue and dehydration symptoms.Let me know if this helps (email me), I would be very interested.All the best and good luck!Andy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.