Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is IBS- TYPE A. What other types are there? I'm only familiar with simply IBS. Have never been told that I have any type at all. How can I determine what type, if any I have? Thanks for replying

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
your type refers to your symptoms. There is no one way that IBS affects all of us.IBS D - diarrhea predominantIBS C - constipation predominantIBS A - alternating D and C (sometimes written IBS C/D or D/C)IBS G - gas predominantIBS P - pain predominantof course there people all over the spectrum. but one reason you need to know this is that the wya to treat these can be different. for instance, someone with IBS D might find great success with calcium supplements. but that might be the worst thing in the world for IBS C.nancy (IBS A myself
)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bonniei: Are saying that gas has nothing to do with IBS? I have been unable to determine whether my gas is caused by constipation, or whether constipation is causing my gas. Unable to identify foods as cause of gas, and think it maybe related to lots of antibiotics over the years. When I finally expel gas I have just small hard stools along with it and originally thought these hard stools were causing the gas- but over time realize that even having a good bowel movement I still have gas- to the point of pain in my chest. Thanks for your answer.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
oh no gas is very related to iBS. But you usually have gas AND D or C. And this gas comes with discomfort or pain. That's all. Those pain type symptoms are caused by viscreral hypersentiivity or the distribution of gas in the intestines - not excessive gas. normal gas is 7 passages per day for a woman. Anything above 20 passages is abnormal and would require further investigation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.