Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!I just got back from a work trip, which included sitting in a boat for 13 hours a day or more for 5 days straight with restricted bathroom access. 1 week before my GP prescribed me Buscopan. I take imodium along with the Buscopan 3 times a day before meals. While on ym trip, I felt almost normal, mind you barely ate more than a plain salad and a plain ham sanwich in fear I would react badly. I got a little of my confidence back for now and am going away for work again in 3 months. At my GP appointment, she didn't say but she kind of hinted that I may have IBD. That is her reasoning I believe for refering me to a GI. Now I won't see the GI for at least 2 months apparently so I wanted to get some input about this possibility. I know the differnece between the 2, but I don't have the bleeding in my BM's like you need with IBD. I do get it occasionally but it's not really in them, more so "around". My biggest issue as my doctor sees it is that colon cancer and ulcers run in my family. Has anyone ever gone through the IBS vs IBD before with their doctor? I know I'm getting a colonoscopy for sure, but I am wondering if you need EVERY symptom of IBD to actually have it. I know I have to wait to see if they find any uclers in my intestines, but I have't had weight loss (I also have hypothryroid so that may be why I'm not loosing weight).Any input to this situation would be greatly helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well some doctors would rather be safe than sorry if there is any bleeding.IBD can run on the mild side so may not have all symptoms present in obvious and severe levels, and if you are a bit anemic or your inflammation markers in your blood are a bit elevated they may want more tests than if you had no bleeding and you had no other health issues.If the hypothyroid is from an autoimmune issue that makes you more prone to have other autoimmune issues which can also up the concern.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know the differnece between the 2, but I don't have the bleeding in my BM's like you need with IBD. I do get it occasionally but it's not really in them, more so "around". My biggest issue as my doctor sees it is that colon cancer and ulcers run in my family. Has anyone ever gone through the IBS vs IBD before with their doctor? I know I'm getting a colonoscopy for sure, but I am wondering if you need EVERY symptom of IBD to actually have it. I know I have to wait to see if they find any uclers in my intestines, but I have't had weight loss (I also have hypothryroid so that may be why I'm not loosing weight).Any input to this situation would be greatly helpful. Thanks!
I've had diagnosed Microscopic Colitis for a decade now. Its a type of IBD. I've nevah evah had any blood in my stool. Externally on the stool -yes, but that was from simple skin irritation from having D 20+ times a day. I do have most of the symptoms of IBS-D.So much for a 'traditional' clear cut definition of symptoms. IBD symptoms can really cover a lot of ground, as can IBS. There's a lot of overlapping and dynamic symptoms, which initially can be confusing to new sufferers of both/either. The colonoscopy (make certain that they take a tissue biopsy!) can rule in/out a great deal.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Microscopic colitis kinda rides the line of IBD. It isn't a "traditional" IBD and since there are no macroscopic (visible) ulcers there really isn't any break in the lining of the intestines to leak blood.Copious diarrhea is more typical of Microscopic colitis and less typical of IBS. However any diarrhea or constipation can irritate the tissues of the anus (especially if you have an internal hemorrhoid and those are very common) and cause bleeding.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate them! I have never really taken the IBS diagnosis seriously because my symptoms are so severe. If I don't't take at least 3 imodium a day and my 3 buscopans, I will be on the toilet for hours on end. Before discovering imodiums miracle workings, I had D at least 15 times a day, and its like that if I don't take any meds. I never had any tests to rule out anything other than Celiacs, my doctor heard my symptoms and said "yep you have IBS". Ever since then she is pretty useless, I told her I wanted to be tested for Celiacs and then my last appt I told her I was so fed up with barely living that I need a GI. So after 3 years of this, I will finally be able to get someone to listen to me and take me seriously. (Hopefully this guy is good ) I sometimes have blood in my BM's but its hard to tell when I take so many meds that I get backed up and constipated and it just comes out as little BM's. I probably have blood external from my BM's aboutonce or twice a week. Thanks again for your input!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.