Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused. I have many of the symptoms associated with ibs; painful spasms in my abdomen, occassional bloating and burping a lot with a bad taste in my mouth. I also often get a strong buring sensation just below my breast bone. I tend to get quite stressed out, and thats probably what started this, though even when I'm perfectly calm and unstressed it doesn't go away.However I don't have any constipation or diarrhea, which, according to everything I have read are some of the main signs of ibs. My doctors are convinced that I have ibs although I have not undergone any tests to check if there may be any other cause.Can ibs be diagnosed with out doing tests? especially if my going to the toilet seems to be just as normal? Please help - I want to find out what is wrong with me and if I need some specific treatment. I have been taking peppermint oil capsules and these may be helping a bit,
but the pain isn't going away. whats wrong with me?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
OK. Diarrhea and constipation aren't really the MAIN symptoms of IBS, just the most talked about.PAIN AND DISCOMFORT are the big symptoms with IBS. These symptoms are associated with a change in stool frequency or consistancy or relieved when you have a bowel movement. Without pain and discomfort it isn't IBS.Now there is a RANGE of functional bowel problems. IBS is ONE of them. Now some doctors tend to be lumpers (all functional bowel, heck even some functional upper GI problems, are called IBS) and call most functional things IBS and some are spliters (most of the leading researchers and the ones who write the definitions) and divid the range of functional bowel problems into several categories.If the ONLY thing you have is pain, stool frequency and consistancy are normal (note not that you have full blown diarrhea or constipation every day just a change in frequency or consistancy) then the spliters would probably call it Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain.The other thing to look at is the burping, bloating and burning and where is the pain (is it in the upper part of the abdomen only??). GERD and Functional Dyspepsia may be things you want to investigate as they ALSO cause pain.For some reason most of the lit on functional bowel problems seems to avoid the whole how painful they are. Much more focus on the what comes out of the body and not enough on the racked with pain aspect that is what generally is most disruptive to the patient.I would think about seeing another doctor, one that specializes in GI. Sometimes these things can be diagnosed without tests, but much depends on which symptoms you have. Sometimes running test after test after test only makes things worse.With all the upper GI symptoms you may want to avoid peppermint (it can make GERD worse) and try an OTC acid blokcer like Zantac or Pepcid and see if that helps. If it does report that to the doctor, or try to get an appointment with a GI doc. If you have GERD the OTC may not be enough to prevent damaging your esophagus or heal any gastric ulcers you may have.K.

·
Registered
296 Posts
rbI've found that drinking a few ounces of aloe vera juice throughout the day relieves the discomfort of that upper GI distress you describe, and it's supposed to be a healer as well. And eating small amounts at a time helps, too. You might want to have some tests done to check for peptic esophagitis and/or reflux. These can often be helped with diet modification.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I had similar symptoms (no C or D) and it turns out I had H. Pylori (a bacteria) and duodenal ulcer. Have you had an endoscopy? This is what finally diagnosed me. I had a blood test for H. Pylori, but I got a false negative.Stacey

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your advice. It really helps to hear from other people who are having the same problems.I have had blood tests now which have confirmed that I don't have h.pylori, but I am going to see the gastroentologist and then hopefuly have a endoscopy to see if I have an ulcer. Or perhaps it has come about just because of stress.I am glad to say that I have now left my job which was what was mainly making me really stressed and angry all the time. I'm now having a few weeks holiday and have got a new, hopefuly much nicer job lined up. So if it is stress, I should be speeding my way to recovery as i feeling really relaxed and positive now!Thanks again for the support guys!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ithink i know exactly what u r talking about because i have two symptoms one when it is higher up resulting in inflamation pain, constant belching to relieve pressure, and huge movements of wind and now i also get the pain in the bowels associated with the diarrohea. I must say the first is by the far the worst for me. It is beginning to drive me dullaly
. I don't know what to say nothing really helps it, and it too never correlates when i am stressed.Do u struggle breathing and sometime swallowing?jamie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi jamie, well I can sympathise totally. If you haven't already, you should definately insist on having an endoscopy. I have had one now and they found that I have chronic gastritis (inflammation of the stomach) and they also found some helicto bacter pylori bacteria from the biopsy, even though my blood tests were negative for h.pylori. I think I may also have slight irritable bowel syndrome, but it is the stomach area which is causing the most pain now. I'm now taking antibiotics and other treatment for the problem. So far no change, but have to be patient i guess.My gp in London kept saying that it was only ibs and nothing to do with the stomach and that there was no need for any investigations. He said there was very little chance I had any bacterial infection and if I just stopped worrying about it, it would go away! It was very clear that they thought I was just wasting their time and the precious resources of the NHS just by coming in for a consultation. Well luckily I was able to visit another doctor in another country where the doctors and the health system are miles more helpful, otherwise I would never have been diagnosed correctly.I don't have any problems breathing or swallowing though - it's just the pain. Hope you are able to find out whats wrong. good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts