Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to this! So glad I have found this site.Called in sick for work again today, 3rd time in 6 weeks, pretty sure I'm going to be fired...I don't know how anyone with ibs can hold down a job, I'm finding it impossible! Anxiety, panic attacks and phobia of vomiting don't make the ibs any easier, anyone in the same situation?I feel so alone! Noone understands, my family think I make it up and that I just can't be bothered to go to work and the doctors always tell me 'I'm stressed' well, I'm only stressed because of the ibs and I can't cope anymore
I need a job because I need the money! I give up

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't give up! Do you have any work from home type of jobs over in England...perhaps you could check into one of these. Are you taking anything for the IBS? I have been using enteric coated peppermint oil capsules 3X a day on an empty stomach it recommends. This has helped a great deal. Do you take a probiotic? If you were diagnosed by a Dr why does your family think you are making this up? It's a shame...sometimes I wish ppl that don't have this could just experience it for one day. Maybe you can try for some type of disability, is that available in the UK? Try not to get yourself all workied up, I know it's not easy to do, but this will only make maters worse. I also drink lots of chamomile tea, this helps with anxiety as well as IBS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your not alone! I also suffer a fear of vomiting, fear of public toilets and an anxiety disorder. I ended up losing both of my jobs due to too much time off, and my family doesn't understand either. I'm no longer talking to my father after he accused me of 'everything being psychosomatic' and 'just making up excuses'.All I can say is, talk to people at work, explain whats wrong and apologize. Do your best to get them to understand. I unfortunately had bosses who didn't listen, but I hope for your sake yours do.Since losing my jobs my anxiety has got worse and I'm now pretty much housebound, so as hard as it is, do all you can to keep yours

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi becky-you feel as if you are going to be fired , so why not try and approach the situation head on, have a word with your supervisor, explain the situation, maybe look at the possibilty of some sick leave if thats possible, so you can set trying to get a grip on the horrid ibs, i wish you well

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i hear you..i am 68 and will soon have to be looking for a job.prob part time i know i could never handle fulltime. iam thinking of fall after all the part time teens and college kids are back at school...but even the thought of this give me stomach cramps and gurgling plus my age is a big factor against me, but if i donot get a job i am looking to lose my house.. ican no longer keep taxes. ins. repairs up tO date. how can anyone work if you get d 7-10 times a day????? what business will pay ypu to sit ona toliet all day??????

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi everyone, new to this! So glad I have found this site.Called in sick for work again today, 3rd time in 6 weeks, pretty sure I'm going to be fired...I don't know how anyone with ibs can hold down a job, I'm finding it impossible! Anxiety, panic attacks and phobia of vomiting don't make the ibs any easier, anyone in the same situation?I feel so alone! Noone understands, my family think I make it up and that I just can't be bothered to go to work and the doctors always tell me 'I'm stressed' well, I'm only stressed because of the ibs and I can't cope anymore
Oh boy, have I been there before. 3 times in 6 weeks actually seems pretty good compared to some of my record when I was working at Walmart. The IBS, depression, and everything was compounding to make me one very unhappy person. In the weeks before I quit, I didn't even care if they fired me.Oh, and guess what, paraAdrian? I don't have a job, I live with my parents too, and I don't have a girlfriend either! You're not alone buddy, and you're not a failure in life! :)Dealing with this condition is not easy, because a lot of people simply don't understand how painful it is, how embarrassing it is, and how much it affects our morale.There is still good news, though: there are such thing as "per diem" jobs in fields like nursing, and what that means is that you have a set number of hours you have to work per week, but you can choose how you want to allot those throughout the week. As long as you meet the hours, you're fine.I had the exact same thinking as you, that my life was over and I'd never be able to do anything again, and maybe I won't succeed, but if I never try, I'll never know. I'll always be wondering "what if".What kind of stuff do you enjoy doing? Whatever it is, try to find a job in that field, and then you'll be happy to go to work, and you won't be as anxious which might in turn help your stomach.

Reactions: IndianRopeTrick

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Keeping a job can be real tough for some of us. And it IS hard to find jobs willing to put up with the amount of time we are in the bathroom sometimes. So it can take some doing to find a position that can mesh with our condition.... not to mention it is kinda hard to find ANY job right now with the economy the way it is! But I like what American Patriot said about finding jobs on a Per Diem basis. That is thinking outside the proverbial box!Sometimes flexibility is the key to success....Have any of you read this?:"Dealing with IBS at Work"http://ibs.about.com/od/livingwithibs/tp/IBS-and-Work.htmI am going to move this thread to our Working and Careers Forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same case for me
an i don't say anything to anyone when it flares up but they can tell by my face. I study via distance-learning an will be going full-time from October onwards. It's ideal for my IBS but i can't work full-time an luckily work freelance and teach on the weekends. But there have been times where i couldn't go.It's such a shame family aren't as supportive, not that i need any sympathy but just their understanding
tis not niceBest thing is to take control yourself! Start a business, volunteer somewhere and take it one step at a time. There's a lot of potential out there i believe for you to earn whilst enjoying what you're doing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just realised I had to replies to my post - thanks everyone, it's so nice to know I'm not alone!I've been missing work again and the ibs was so bad last week that I had to have a whole week off. Now I have to have a 'disciplinary' tomorrow which may result in me losing my job, even though I have explained the whole situation to them. I was wondering if anyone else was on disability benefits or such like? With no job, I'm not sure how I'm going to survive with no money!IBS needs to be recognised as a disability!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I first knew I had IBS, all i wanted to do was stay at home. I got it on Thanksgiving of 2010. My tummy would hurt so bad that I wanted to go home from my relatives house. It took my doctor over a month to figure out I had IBS. My GI put me on several meds which did not seam to work well. Then I thought maybe I need to take gluten and dairy out but that helped for a couple months then tummy pain again. I noticed that I have not have normal BMs for a while so my GI told me to take Miralax so i did but now I really want to get off of it. I have not taken Miralax since wednesday morning this week. I am hoping so bad I don't need it anymore. I don't want to ruin my body more than what it is. And especially when I have had about six surgeries. I am a full time nanny which I love. The bathroom is right by me if I need to go. lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know how you feel.I was off work for 8 months last year. I have come across questions relating to whether ibs can be considered a disability or not. I can reassure that it is well and truly disabling. My bodies natural propensity is to revert to constipation. Without medication, dietary restriction/focus and proper sleep, everything goes haywire.I am back at work but have not been able to go in for the last 3 weeks, and am so worried about my job. Even I am frustrated by my lack of attendance so I can understand how my colleagues/boss must feel about it.I am currently in a downward cyclical situation. Due to toilet habits, I don't sleep properly at night. That leaves me exhausted so I end up sleeping during the day, which means when night time comes around, I am still tired, but am unlikely to get a decent nights sleep. I need to eat regular small meals throughout the day. Big meals give me acid reflux. If I eat too much, my stomach becomes horrendously bloated and painful. Not even too much, but if I ate what a 'normal' person eats, I would suffer bloating. I need to lie down when I get bloated as it is painful. The bloating makes me not want to eat, but if I don't eat often enough, then the constipation gets even worse, and so the cycle goes......I currenty feel despairing. I live alone. I rely on my income for my mortgage. I do get the lowest level of the care element of Disability Living allowance (here in UK)but it is only £80 a month.The reason I get DLA is as much for the mental side of this as the physical, as I have no motivation to cook a meal for myself. It isn't just motivation. It is bloating too.I have help with cleaning the house and with the gardening. I am totally exhausted. With unrefreshing sleep, I wake up tired. I love my job and know I am not giving it what it needs. I don't know where to go from here or who to turn to. The doctor I have is helpful, but it seems like I am just supposed to work this out for myself. The hospital gastroenterologist sees me every 3 months. I am on gabapentin which does help with the pain.I have tried just about every medication going. I have tried the self-help advice.I have tried homeopathy.I don't feel like I have a life at all. I parted from my boyfriend because I had no energy to maintain a relationship as well as work full time. Besides, both gabapentin and my age made me feel like sex was the last thing I would be interested in.I am just so tired. All the time.I feel the same about stress.I have occassional bowel incontinence, which makes me want to shun any social life. Gas makes me fart loudly and embarrassingly, which is awful in work toilets (male/female beside each other). I know people think I am 'putting it on'- as if anyone would want the life I have-isolated and depressed. Of course I am stressed- it is not the cause of my ibs- it is the result of it!Apart from gabapetin, I also take VSL#3- a prebiotic and probiotic food supplement which does seem to help. I am also on Prozac.I am getting more and more housebound. I am frightened to leave my house in case I have incontinency. I also shake badly at times and I am not quite sure what that is all about. I worry that people may think I am an alcoholic (I can't touch the stuff- it makes my ibs far worse) or a druggie (only drugs I take are for ibs!). I have had a few colonoscopies and other procedures. I do have a lot of adhesions, as I suffered from endometriosis around 20 years ago. Certainly when they did the hysterectomy, they found many adhesions, including ones related to the bowel.The strange thing is that I bleed often. I seem to have proctitis- it doesn't seem to be consistent with IBS. I have had piles removed before.But it does worry me that I bleed. I have suppositries for this. Another embarrassment- if I go to the loo after using these, the farty noises are even worse.I am truly in despair. I just can't see me being able to hold down my job (I am in senior management).I just don't know where to turn now. I feel hopeless. I am an intelligent, capable person, but this illness seems to erode away and dignity and I lead a shell of a life now, lurching from one phase to the next, with no idea how I am going to hold down my job.I am sorry for pouring this out but I hope someone can help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am actually in the exact same situation right now. I have missed so much work and, although my bosses know and are starting to understand what is going on, how can I expect them to keep me on if I can't be at work? And then, of course, you stress about the possibility of losing your job and that only makes it worse...it is a vicious cycle that I have yet to find an answer for. Just know you are not alone (what a great feeling really, today is my first day and I am almost in tears knowing there are others out there like me) and you have my support! Hugs!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Of course I am stressed- it is not the cause of my ibs- it is the result of it!I could not have put it better myself! I read your post and totally understand where you are coming from. I wish I had some wise words of how to make it better, but I am still trying to figure it out myself. I hope things get better for you and that we can all find answers in the end!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's great to find this site and other people that are going through the same thing. I've had some bad experiences in the past with jobs, but I'm in an okay position now luckily. I was missing lots of work (weeks at a time) due to IBS and the stress that it was causing me and was getting close to losing my job as a result (my managers were NOT happy). My hubby was and is amazing about it, but he obviously isn't around during work. I had already lost one job and quit another in the past because of this. And work was stressing me out (we were going through a lot of changes), which made the IBS worse, etc!It's worse when you have to work in an open plan office with other people and the office I'm in is sometimes quiet so you can hear my stomach a mile away! That was the worst thing for me, as I knew the woman next to me could hear everything if I had bad gas or D (even if the office was noisy that day and other people probably couldn't hear) and it was impossible to hide. Then I would stress more about trying to stop the noise and worry she would notice me going to the bathroom too much or whatever. Then I sometimes had to sit in meetings in a quiet room and that would freak me out big time as people near by could hear my stomach! I dreaded getting up for work on Monday and worrying about whether my stomach would play up and that was usually enough to start it! In the end she actually confronted me about all the time I was taking off and told me her mum gets IBS too, so she kind of figured it out. It turns out she has other health problems that bother her so she understood completely (I guess a lot of people get sick and don't say anything in case people think they are just complaining). I have to say it makes a HUGE difference not having to worry about hiding it from her (I still worry sometimes if the office is unusually quiet, but it's a big help knowing at least the person next to me won't mind). And just being able to relax a bit more at work has removed a lot of the stress and IBS symptoms. I guess it depends on the situation, but I would definitely suggest telling someone at work about it. If anything, it's good to have someone cover for you when you have to rush off suddenly and I know that in meetings I can sit next to her and not stress so much if my stomach plays up. And if both of us are having a bad day with our illnesses (she gets migraines and UTIs) then we can joke about it a bit and compare symptoms. It has definitely saved my job as I have had much less time off since telling my coworker about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, How is everybody getting on now? My IBS-A only really took off when I finished University in July, and went straight into a full time job. I quite often missed my bus and train into work due to running in and out of the loo constantly. I always feel queasy after a bad 'episode', so when I did make it to the bus stop, a large number of times, I ended up going back home. When I saw the bus arriving, I never knew what to do, whether I would be ok if I got on, and I'd make it to the railway station, or whether it would come on again, in which case, I couldn't just get off the bus in the middle of nowhere. My anxiety gets the better of me when I am already feeling unwell, as I never know what to do for the best. Learning what all of the different pains mean. Anyway.. I kept work up to date on what the doctor was saying, but with it being a small company, I know I was causing them a lot of staffing problems. They wanted to know whether I would be able to get in the next day or not, and you just never know until the day do you?

I offered my resignation after a month of messing them around, but they suggested that I took a couple of weeks off, try and rest, and get myself sorted, and then come back and work in a different area (away from a very difficult colleague who made things harder for me). I went back refreshed, but I just had the same problem, in fact, I think I was making it in even less, so my contract wasn't renewed.

What makes me most annoyed is that I would love to work, have my own money, and take the pressure off my boyfriend. I have tried a number of diets, medications and counselling, and nothing has helped me so far. I only manage to get out of the house when I have an appointment. I tend to be very unwell before my appointments, because I know that I HAVE to get there, I can't wimp out part way. But usually, when I am there, I relax, because I know that they are there to try and help me.

I am going to try the FODMAP diet and see if that helps me. I have been loosely following it unknowingly, but I find that I'm really restricted on foods. I start seeing a dietician in a couple of weeks, so hopefully I will get some much needed help.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't have a job , I live with my parents , I have no girlfriends , I am turning out to be a failure In life.
Don't give up. What keeps you from being able to work ? Perhaps we could suggest something to get

you going ? I know how tough it can get. But, try to find a way to make things better, even if 20-40%.

I am just able to survive and not really flourish in my job. I might lose my job if things go extremely bad. I
am able to survive only because I am able to keep things under control so far.

Don't worry so much about girls. They all are not the same, but I guess most of them have similar traits.

I can't really blame them. They usually want kids, home etc. and all that requires money and health. Then,

there are others who just want a life of endless fun and luxury. The remaining (few ???) need the goodies,

but can sweat it out if life demands it. Maybe you'll get the last type sometime. Right now, don't worry about

the girls.

Take care.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Oh boy, have I been there before. 3 times in 6 weeks actually seems pretty good compared to some of my record when I was working at Walmart. The IBS, depression, and everything was compounding to make me one very unhappy person. In the weeks before I quit, I didn't even care if they fired me.Oh, and guess what, paraAdrian? I don't have a job, I live with my parents too, and I don't have a girlfriend either! You're not alone buddy, and you're not a failure in life! :)Dealing with this condition is not easy, because a lot of people simply don't understand how painful it is, how embarrassing it is, and how much it affects our morale.There is still good news, though: there are such thing as "per diem" jobs in fields like nursing, and what that means is that you have a set number of hours you have to work per week, but you can choose how you want to allot those throughout the week. As long as you meet the hours, you're fine.I had the exact same thinking as you, that my life was over and I'd never be able to do anything again, and maybe I won't succeed, but if I never try, I'll never know. I'll always be wondering "what if".What kind of stuff do you enjoy doing? Whatever it is, try to find a job in that field, and then you'll be happy to go to work, and you won't be as anxious which might in turn help your stomach.
Thanks man. Your words gave me strength and I hope they give it the OP too. Some people wonder why I don't date or go out a lot. I guess it just depends on where you are in life. If your health needs attention, then focus on health. Dating comes later.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.