Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello thought id post something beens i havnt for ages... I have ibs and D every morning usually without fail i know annoying why is it i could be by a toilet and not need it and as soon as i am like ten miles away for have no idea where one is im like omg where the loo wat if i need it. I know i propular sound a bit werid. I think my ibs is nervous related but my self i dont feel that i am always thinkin about it. but i must be because they say that when you worry it can affect u like this. Another thing is in a few weeks i have my drivin test. it be brilliant when i pass my test no more worrying about havin to get the bus and train
but im goin to have to seat in the car for 40 mins next somebody i have never seen before in my life and in a confined space.Does ne one have ne advice for me??i would appreciate if u reply email me or pm mesorry about goin on a bit lolClaire xx

· Registered
6 Posts
Hey Claire,You’ve pretty much described how I am with what you wrote. When there is a toilet available i’m mainly ok, but when I’m away from one, lets say travelling, or even waiting for anything, I almost certainly am in trouble and have an attack of D. I end up trying to get out of situations like that. Which isn’t the right thing to do, but I feel like I have no choice.I too am very nervous/anxious which is definately the big trigger for me, purely because of having no confidence in my system, and how it’ll be on the day/occasion.re driving test. I did mine 1 year ago, and felt just like you, fear of being in a confined space with someone I didn’t know, and the feeling of being trapped etc. But what I did was try my best to think: Well, if I pass this, I won’t have to do more months of lessons, and then another test. As much as I thought it wouldn’t work at all, it actually did, and worked as good incentive to focus on the job in hand, and get through the hour long exam under stressful conditions. And I passed too! Good look with the test!

· Registered
1,629 Posts
I was just pondering this problem this morning. A year ago on the way back from our annual trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, I had an attack while on the highway home. We were in a part of eastern Colorado where there are stretches of road with stops only every 50 miles or so. Fortunately, the initial attack occured near one of those towns, but I was terrified to start up the road again. I had to stop at the next exit too, but after getting some hot water to make some chamomile tea, I was ok for the rest of the long trip home. My trip is coming up again in a few weeks, and I'm sure I'll be a little nervous as we pass through that stretch of highway again. I'll just try to remind myself that it only happened once in the 6 years I've made this trip, and it probably only happened because of some poor eating choices I made at a restaurant. Still, I sometimes wish I had a crutch that I could rely on in these situations. Bentyl doesn't seem to do it for me.

· Registered
43 Posts
I have a nervous stomach too but's it's gotten better over time. What I would do is try to go as much as possible before the test and take some kind of anti diarreal 30 min. before you leave. Make sure you're nice and clogged up when the time comes. Good luck on your test!!

· Registered
4 Posts
I have ibs-D and excess anxiety. I've tried AD MEDS and the side effects are terrible. My D has improved but I still have lots of urgency, bloating and gas. Does anyone have any advice? I'm 23 and it seems everything that I need to do in life (school, work) is difficult and my ibs acts up ever time I need to do something important. I'm desperate for help!

· Registered
43 Posts
Hi all, I think the ibs starts up when we get nervous. I am the same way if I have to take a ong trip, and may not be near a restroom. Not everyone understands this and they'll say "There are rest stops if you need them" However this is no hlp sometimes if they happen to be even a short distance away. When you feel as though you need to go, the panic sets in and you need to go NOW!. I try to put it out of my mind, but I avoid going so many places because I'm afraid that I MIGHT have to go. It's really no way to live. Perhaps you could try an anti-anxiety med to relieve some of the anxiety about going out or traveling. Des

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HI thanks for replying to my bulletin....its nice to know that im not the only one that has... but i wish that i didnt. To be honest no affence to ne body that is takin them but its isnt really what i wanna do taking tablets for anxiety when i dont think i really its just the toilet thing that makes me like ill usually be fine on my own if i no i dont need the loo or like it situations that other people mite get anxious about. i do take some medicine for D which does work most of the time so that ok.ne other sugestions please comment or email , pm my ask i would like to chat other people with similar probsThanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the exact same problem. I can feel fine, but the moment that I get in the car and get on the road, it hits. The best thing for me has been the Metamucil Fiber capsules. I've tried prescription drugs and they didn't help. With the Fiber, they help more than anything else I've tried, although they don't cure the problem completely. It at leasts helps my upset stomach be less upset so I can have more time to make it where I need to go. You may want to try fiber capsules. They've taken me from every day D to once or twice a week D.

· Registered
505 Posts
Fiber and BuSpar helps me immensely. I'll occasionally take Imodium, but that just fixes the symptom, not the "problem". But it helps for really tough situations like taking my daughter to college - all country roads and about 2 hours from here!

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this site and i have had terrible pain the past 2 days.....i usually get D A LOT....and i just thought it was nerves or something...or something i ate....and i'm sick of it....i have to worry ...oh can i go someplace...do they have a bathroom, when i have D all i wanna be is at home! but anyways...in reply to this comment....it always seems to happen that way....gets worse when ur not around a toilet...i have a job interview this morning...and i have D bad.....everytime i have something to do...Jobs only last about a month for me...because i guess its that fact that i HAVE to go....then i get D.....then i have to quit so i can be at home....its the most awful thing.....i need to go to the doctor...and get on some meds...i'd usually take some pepto everday b4 i went ot work....or went out...but then i'd be constipated for days....I JUST CANT WIN!! oh well...

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi ClaireThis is my first post, but i've always read up on these forums when i feel down with my IBS-D. I feel the exact same way as you do Claire. The risk of an attack for me is positively correlated to the distance from a known toilet. It really sucks. I am going on a road trip tomorrow...but i am really worried, it is long weekend - ie stuck in traffic AND the total driving time is about 12 hours total(stopping at 3 places). I'm thinking of an excuse to get out, but I don't think it is possible...Ken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.