Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 33 year old male. I used to consider myself healthy but the past 3 years have been worrysome.I think I have IBS but that is only part of the equation. I work out regualrly and am fairly lean however, I have this bloated belly.The bloating is worst after drinking alcohol. Just about and food will cause bloating for me. I am also in the bathroom while at work for a half hour of my lunch every day. It seems I could stay there all day gassy and then formed stool. I probably go 2-5 times per day. I eat a heck of alot though.I have tried many diets but the best diets are the low gycemic index diets....which is really a lifestyle. I take about 6 fishoil tabs per day as well.I also feel the need to take deep breaths often and have thick burps. Sometimes burping is difficult for me.....the air doesn't want to come out.There are other symptoms thatprobably go beyond the scope of this board but if asked I will provide details. [I'm new and don't want to ofend]Thanks for taking the time

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Welcome cypher, it is very important you get a diagnoses if you have not gotten one. One of the reasons for that, other then to rule out any serious disorders that may mimick some IBS symptoms, is also to know really what you need to treat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding,I actually have seen MD's for the past 2 of the 3 years. I have told the Doc's about my symtoms but I had other symptoms that were more pressing at the time.I developed an intolerance to alcohol. I was unable to sleep the following night due to myoclonic jerks. The day after drinking I would poop about 6 times and have bloating.I had deveoped white dots on my skin that burn or feel like frostbite. I had a weird rash on my forehead at one time. I had various aches and pains. I have had difficulty catching a deep breath but this was unrelated to physical excercise, as I am very active.All in all I have had all the testing I asked for, although I was frustrated and labelled a hypochondriac.Anyway, most of those symptoms have eased quite a bit. However, this bloating is a daily thing and it is constant. Even if I have IBS the treatment is diet modification is it not. I just purchased a few of the products I have read about on this forum. Today is my first time them.Does anybody else have problems catching a deep breath? This seems to associated with the times that I have thick burps. [gross]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cypher,Your symptoms remind me a lot of someone who needs liver support. Your liver processes all your body's toxins (ie alcohol), so when it is taxed, it is common to break out with rashes and have all sorts of pain and inflammation throughout the body.I agree with the others that you need to be tested by your doctor. Print out what you described on this chat board and bring it with you. Find a new doctor if you don’t feel like you’re getting anywhere with the one you have.I also recommend finding a holistic nutritionist who can work collaboratively with your doctor. One of the number one things that helps with IBS is dietary change (even your doc will tell you that), but doctors are not trained in nutrition!One last thing… Stop drinking alcohol. Alcohol is a luxury your body cannot afford right now. Your body is doing everything in its power to tell you it’s overloaded, so don’t keep pouring more alcohol in it to see what you can still get away with. Perhaps one day in the future, you’ll be able to have a glass of wine with dinner, but for now, just stop it altogether.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm bloated most the time. I have tried different diets. I stopped drinking altogether for about 6 months. Now I'll occasional have a few and be fine. On a few occasions I had too much to drink and got away with it all but once.OK, you think you had alot of tests read thisEKG normal2d echo- heart upper limits of normal left ventrical thickness -common in weight lifters therefore normalholter moniter for a weekend while drinking - normalvisit to a neuro doc - normalEEG - rule out seizure - normal24 hour urine for ; catecholimine, 5hiaa x3, creatinine, metabolites all normal2 cat scans of the thorax one included throat and pelvis - normalnuclear studies test to rule out a carcinoid tumor [flushing] normalVisit to dermatolgist -no significant findsvisit to allergist - normalmany visits to the other Doc's - I'm nuts they tells meSeriously I was told I have an autonomic glitch that I may have to live with. It is unexplainable and may or may not go away.The only positive test was a serum chromogranin. Since this level was elevated and my serum serotonin was normal my Doc didn't know what to make of it. Later , I found that if you take protonix this coould elevate chromogranin levels....my Doc didn't know this... it is a rare study and one that I suggested. I also had a creatine serum of 1.7. Normal is 1.5 but since I had alot of muscle mass my Doc wanted to be sure I was clearing creatinine ok. I then did a 24 hour creatinine clearance and score 147 norm is 80-120. My Doc said since I was clearing it fine then a high serum creatinine was normal for me.SO there you have it. No masses no abnormalities can be found........so I guess I'll just sit here with my big belly.What say you,Oh and sorry for dragging on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Cypher,I see all the tests you've listed, but did not notice a colonoscopy or endoscopy. Have you considered one of those tests? They can determine whether or not you're inflicted with a number of different gastrointestinal disorders/diseases. Just something to take a look into.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Again,Certain medications can give false positives for certain markers [such as an endocrine tumour].For example protonix can falsly elevate a chromogranin level. Protonix can also give a false positive for marijuana. Isn't that hillarious.I have not had any bowel studies done because as I said before, this was a secondary concern.You can see buy the amount of tests done on me that alot of money was spent [insurance money. I can deal with these issues for now. Does anyone experience burning skin at times. [arms, torso thighs, occaionally face]This is a great board. People are very receptive.....I am impressed.Good day all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Protonix will give a false positive.....which means you could posibly test positive for marijuana if you are taking protonix. I saw this first hand this weekend. I work in the health care field and a patient who was being worked up for a heart attack tested positive for marijuana. Swore up and down that he never used it. Later we foound out he was on protonix. the MD said it was because he was taking protonix.Why are you on protonix? If it is not giving you relief from heartburn then don't bother. It is very pricey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.