Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BEFORE YOU START � I have seen what happens to people on this board who try and say something positive about something like this � so maybe I can head this kind of onslaught off and keep my threads free of all that kind of rhetoric. Hence, to those who may look at this as some kind of sellout or sales pitch for IBSacol! Hear ye...before you get on your soap box, do this:1. Do a search on my name and check out my posts. See if you think I have a habit of trying to be objective and honest.2. Before you even consider that I am some kind of fake in any shape or form you can request copies of my tests and medical records of the past eight years and figure for yourself if anyone would ever go to that much expense and trouble to deceive anyone! I just got them all in order for the doc doing the new tests. Hey, but you pay for your attitude. As a landscape designer I get $35/hr. and it is Spring (i.e. I am super busy!). You don�t trust me, you cover my time to get the photocopies and send them to you. If you want to question my integrity, put your money where your mouth is. Deal, I hope.Also, for those who would wax poetic about the benefits of IBSacol; I am really glad for you, but please just state your case as it may be relevant to this post - if you sound too 'exuberant' please start your own thread. Thanks!Whew...maybe I am thinking in this "fending off" manner because I have been dealing with Cell Tower lawyers all week. I am not sure they know what 'honesty' even means any more!IBSACOL and my CFAP/Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain:Welcome to what was going to be my last week of IBSacol in this initial trial. So far I have had a pain free month and that is pretty cool. Not unknown, but it sure bucks the trend of what was happening before I stared it. Things have changed a bit due to some unfortunate timing coincidences that may not give me as accurate a sense of this past month as I would have wanted. For those who have follwed this, you know that I have been maxed out fighting for �the good, the true, and the beautiful� (i.e. against the cell tower nightmare) and that could have possibly influenced the results. Also I am going to do a series of new tests and I wondered if the IBSacol might affect the results in some way so had considered stopping it for that reason too. I wrote to Dianne (director at �IBSacol�) to get some clarification. Here�s what I wrote as it describes the tests and the situation without me having to retype it all!Dear Dianne...I am working with a new doctor who really seems to have a handle on chronic GI stuff and he too has zeroed in on my 'tongue' thing as an indicator of something amiss. He wants me to do a number of more sensitive tests than I have had done in the past and we are wondering if the IBSacol will have a 'masking' or 'biasing' influence on them at all???!!! The suggestion is that, to be safe (especially as the tests are not cheap) I should drop it and go 'clean' for two weeks then do them; especially the celiac panel and the saliva tests. As we do not know enough about how the IBSacol works and what it really is, this seems a wise choice. What do you think? Here are a list of the tests to be done: Thyroid Panel - saliva Thyroid Panel - blood Adrenal Panel inc. anti-gliadin antibody & secretory IGA immunoglobulin - saliva Helicobacter pylori IgG - saliva Entamoeba hystolitica - saliva Functional Intracellular Analysis - blood Celiac Disease Profile - blood Homocysteine - blood 'Basic Blood Assay' of: Vitamin B12/folic acid Zinc Cortisol Magnesium Erthyrocyte (RBC) Magnesium Reticulocyte Count C-reactive protein Gastrin Immunoglobulins IgG; IgM; IgA �Also the following:Dear Dianne...Thanks for the call. I am interested in being fair with my trial and two things have now happened that could influence that. 1. You have clearly recommended two months as a minimum "loading dose" or "shift period" prior to making an evaluation and/or dropping it for a while. 2. The start of my trial coincided with a somewhat 'abnormal' situation of going into hyper drive to fend off the Cell Tower beast that appeared at that time. Now, ironically, I am about to end the trial of a month and am 'coincidentally' switching down to just a normal 'high to medium gear' due to a round one victory a few days ago! As I have previously explained, I tend to not have much pain when I am totally maxed out and overloaded (contrary to what one would expect - I see it as: my body does not have time to remember to mess with me because I am throwing so much at it!?) so this could be a possible 'influencing factor' in the pain free month I just had on the IBSacol. It does seem like things could change now that I am not as involved and can get on with my life again. By the way - being maxed out is not a sustainable therapeutic model; I crash and burn eventually!!! Given the above, and given that it may already have skewed the tests I intend to have I will consider continuing the IBSacol for another month unless my doctor really does not want me to do that.So, that�s the situation. We have decided to go ahead with the IBSacol and do the tests in a week or so when I have been back on a more �carbo� diet for 10 days + (so that the tests are taken in my more ususal dietary pattern � I had been backing off some on the carbohydrates for a couple of months prior too!). Hence I will carry on reporting about the IBSacol and also on the test results in case they are helpful to anyone re �pain� etc. As before, so far so good!!! Best Drew

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Drew, thanks for posting this. Are you strictly a pain type person or do you have D or C (or both!) at all? Wondering about the effect of Ibsacol if a person doesn't have D.Also, a favour if possible. I tried to email someone at Ibsacol to get a full list of ingredients as I'm allergic to several things. Could you post a list of the ingredients for me if you have time?Take care,susan

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wanderingstar...Yes, I am strictly "pain" only; never had any D. except a little way back when the Giardia was at its undiagnosed worst! Do not have C. either, except in a Jumbo Jet or the like!The ingredients per capsule are:350mgs Meracol15mgs di-calcium phosphate fine15mgs magnesium oxideSilicon dioxide as encapsulating aidThat's all I know; hope it helps. Best, Drew

G

·
Drew,I hope the tests prove something that can be taken care of. I have always wished there was something wrong that could be seen so I didn't feel like such a hypocondriact.I am happy for you that you do not have the same pain since being on the Ibsa___.(shhh someone might hear me)and I hope your stress level comes down to minimal level, but if you are like me, then there is no such thing as minimal stress. That makes the gut problems soooo much worse. I use self talk when in stressfull situations and some hypnotherapy so as to keep myself out of hyperspace!Good luck and hope you find some answers. Keep us posted as to the results of the tests will ya.

G

·
IBSACOL has really helped my (not much C or D) but heaps of pain.My problem is I don't have a gall bladder and can't quite digest the fatty acid which is a bummer cause I am now getting pain from my liver (I think) because it has extra work to do and doesn't like it.Dianne has suggested taking Lipase (which unfortunately has been discontined here in Australia) but I should be able to find something that metabolisers fat and take it with the IBSACOL...fingers crossed it will get rid of my cramping pain AND the IBS as well.It really has been the only thing I've tried over the years that has worked, so I'm not giving up yet!!Jo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.