Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when i first started suffering IBS -d years ago i went on a strict elimination diet directed by a naturopath i was seeing at the time and lost alot of weight had no energy and felt disgusting and my symptons persisted throughout so I have since been hesitant to believe that diet has anything to do with my real ibs causes. Sorry for the speal.However since like most people i have managed to identify foods that tend to minimise disruption to my system, Lately I have been having some good days, and what i want to know is for example for dinner on tuesday night i had a foot long white role with salad (subway) not something i would usually and wasn't sure how it would sit, the following day i had some discomfort which is constant for me, and when i toileted it was on the better side ( so i thought i am safe then bread should be okay by me), however the next day after that thursday my toileting was pretty bad which made me think maybe it was only catching up with me then, like a 2 day processing..... when the discomfort is kinda relentless i am finding it difficult to confidently identify problem foods,,, also do trigger foods tend to accumulate and thus i can be unknowingly building up amounts of and suffering the side effects at a lter time and thus blaming the wrong foods.....Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated,

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
From what I gathered from one convrsation at the IBS Center in Seattle--admittedly only enough to get some generalizations and nothing like a medical/biological understanding--the allergan/intolerance/sensitivity response comes from an inflammatory reaction in the colon. From what I understand about colon inflammation from a paper published by the London Hospital, it seems traceable to blood platelet behaviour, so once the triggering nutrients are absorbed into the blood stream, the response may well show up not much later in the bowels. (This may be what actually goes on when "just the act of eating" causes a bm, especially in the morning.) I would think that a 24 hour response to the Subway roll is not a likely outcome if it is a food sensitivity.Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts