Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,After having had a pretty good couple of months, in which I've got back a lot of confidence and self-esteem, I find myself on the verge of slipping back down yet again.I've suffered IBS-D for over 10 years, but only in the last 2 years has it got severe. In the last 2 years I've tried dozens of remedies, diets, seen homeopaths, counsellors, numerous doctors, with no joy. However, I have come to terms with my problem and can usually deal with it.However, from time to time (maybe once every 3-4 months) I'll get a really bad case of D that comes from nowhere, and leaves me in terrible pain. Often associated is terrible nausea, dizziness, and extreme tiredness. This comes on totally out of the blue - one minute I'm fine, have my evening meal, and then BANG! Rest of the night on the toilet, head in the toilet, or lying in bed slipping in and out of fevered dreams.Does anyone else with IBS have this? It has a major affect on my confidence, which I've had trouble rebuilding in the last 2 years. I was just beginning to think I could put it all behind me when I was bedridden on Thursday night. I haven't been right since - I stopped myself up with Immodium, but last night had the same all over again. Now I'm sat at work, stomach in a terrible state, in quite a lot of discomfort. And when I finish the office job at 5:30, I'm off to work 5 hours as a delivery driver. Tomorrow morning I'm booked in with a client.My food hygeine is pretty good, I always wash my hands before cooking and after handling uncooked meat. I don't eat food off the floor, I obessively clean things and won't eat from a plate that looks dirty. I'm told by doctors that food poisoning can strike at any time and take 7 days or more to clear up. Does it strike normal people every 3-4 months..?Or is this a perfectly normal symptom of IBS?Just a week ago I was on top of the world, now I can feel everything slipping away. Sorry if this is a depressing post, but I was hoping to get my life on the go again soon - not put it all back on hold all over again. These last two years have been serious hard work with, to be honest, very little personal reward.If anyone else has had similar symptoms and has found a way to beat them, I'd love to hear what you tried.Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sounds more typical of a bug or other issue than IBS.Usually IBS does not go on all night, and the other stuff sounds more bug than anything else.If you are exposed to a lot of people during the day you could pick viruses up off of phones, door knobs, etc., but this sounds awfully regular. Have they checked for something like microscopic colitis, it can be episodic and tends to be the watery all night kind of diarrhea more than the usual just few loose stools in the morning/after meals kind of IBS diarrhea.It is worth talking to your doctor about this to see if there are any tests that might need to be run. It is never cut and dry that this must be something else, but it is unusual enough that you may need more testing than most IBSers before being sure other things are not going on.K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!I've seen various doctors over the years and TBH I'm pretty sure that I have regular IBS anyway, even if the watery all-night problem is related to something else. I also suffer from panic attacks, although these have become far less common over the last year or so as I learn to deal with them, a bad case of D or nausea can set it off again.I had a barium enema about 8 years ago that showed nothing unexpected, although the episodal watery D has only been happening for the last 2 years.I might research your suggestion and see if that comes up with anythingThanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.