Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,This has been the first full winter Ive had with IBS, and I cannot believe the amount of colds etc I have picked up along the way...does anyone have a reason why iBS would affect my immune system so much, and are there any cheeky vitamins etc that I can take to fight these little vermin?Cheers,Nick

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Not directly, but stressful things (even physically stressful like pain and other IBS symptoms) do seem to lower the immune system.Another think to think about if you are pretty much continually sick is to be checked for allergies. They can cause some of the same symptoms and some people who develop allergies at first think they are just getting cold after cold after cold.Some people claim vit. C helps, echinacea may help you get over a cold faster (but may not work if you take it continually and may make allergies worse) Zinc lozenges also get claims that they help.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Not directly, but stressful things (even physically stressful like pain and other IBS symptoms) do seem to lower the immune system.Another think to think about if you are pretty much continually sick is to be checked for allergies. They can cause some of the same symptoms and some people who develop allergies at first think they are just getting cold after cold after cold.Some people claim vit. C helps, echinacea may help you get over a cold faster (but may not work if you take it continually and may make allergies worse) Zinc lozenges also get claims that they help.K.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've had IBS for 20+ years. I've had good year for cold/viruses and bad years. This year is a horrible year (I feel like I need to build sick days into my project plans at work!!) I've never noticed a connection between IBS and the round of colds/viruses. If anything, it's the reverse. When I get sick and take things for it, it seems to trigger my IBS. I'm still trying to right my digetive system since being sick three weeks ago. I'm in a pretty hard C/D cycle that I'm trying to break.feel betternancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've had IBS for 20+ years. I've had good year for cold/viruses and bad years. This year is a horrible year (I feel like I need to build sick days into my project plans at work!!) I've never noticed a connection between IBS and the round of colds/viruses. If anything, it's the reverse. When I get sick and take things for it, it seems to trigger my IBS. I'm still trying to right my digetive system since being sick three weeks ago. I'm in a pretty hard C/D cycle that I'm trying to break.feel betternancy

·
Registered
169 Posts
i've had IBD-D for 13 years and yes it really is the pits when you get even thew slightest sickness! this screws me all up! nad man, the flu is a real drag! i believe that our systems are so "sensative" to every different change(even hormones) that we get things a bit harder and longer! so, instead of 2 days off of work ity may take us a week to fix our bowels after the flu or cold!

·
Registered
169 Posts
i've had IBD-D for 13 years and yes it really is the pits when you get even thew slightest sickness! this screws me all up! nad man, the flu is a real drag! i believe that our systems are so "sensative" to every different change(even hormones) that we get things a bit harder and longer! so, instead of 2 days off of work ity may take us a week to fix our bowels after the flu or cold!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just wanted to let you know what I have heard about echinacea. I understand that it is suppose to help boast the immune system to assist in fighting off the onset of a cold or some similiar infection. Long term use is reported to suppress the immune system. I believe that the use of echinacea should be limited to no longer than 9 days. I also understand that liquid capsules are more effective than powdered capsules.I have not experienced an increase in the number of colds or flu or its intensity since I have had IBS. I must admit I am not exposed to as many other people now, therefore my current observations may be skewed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just wanted to let you know what I have heard about echinacea. I understand that it is suppose to help boast the immune system to assist in fighting off the onset of a cold or some similiar infection. Long term use is reported to suppress the immune system. I believe that the use of echinacea should be limited to no longer than 9 days. I also understand that liquid capsules are more effective than powdered capsules.I have not experienced an increase in the number of colds or flu or its intensity since I have had IBS. I must admit I am not exposed to as many other people now, therefore my current observations may be skewed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.