1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thanks, Eric, that happened to me and I went to the hospital thinking I was going to die, and all my tests were normal! My first post on this board was a warning about this, and this is the only other time I've seen it mentioned.I had been using calcium carbonate for my pain for at least 10 years, and the worse it got,the more I took...
Luckily my GI was aware of this and explained it to me and suggested I switch to Gaviscon. He had mentioned once before "don't use Tums", but I didn't understand why and thought it was his personal preference.FYI, most antacid tablets such as Tums, Mylanta, Maalox, Rolaids, etc. are calcium carbonate. You have to check the ingredient labels to be sure. I haven't found any tablets that don't have either cc or sugar, so now I use Pepcid for the occasional indigestion.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thanks, Eric, that happened to me and I went to the hospital thinking I was going to die, and all my tests were normal! My first post on this board was a warning about this, and this is the only other time I've seen it mentioned.I had been using calcium carbonate for my pain for at least 10 years, and the worse it got,the more I took...
Luckily my GI was aware of this and explained it to me and suggested I switch to Gaviscon. He had mentioned once before "don't use Tums", but I didn't understand why and thought it was his personal preference.FYI, most antacid tablets such as Tums, Mylanta, Maalox, Rolaids, etc. are calcium carbonate. You have to check the ingredient labels to be sure. I haven't found any tablets that don't have either cc or sugar, so now I use Pepcid for the occasional indigestion.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Many times drinking enough water and becoming properly hydrated can solve the acid and indigestion ... and then the calcium wouldn't be needed in the same amounts.Have a look at www.watercure.com for some wonderful information about the benefits of hydration and what symptoms can disappear just with water !Kind thoughts ..Dianne

·
Registered
401 Posts
Many times drinking enough water and becoming properly hydrated can solve the acid and indigestion ... and then the calcium wouldn't be needed in the same amounts.Have a look at www.watercure.com for some wonderful information about the benefits of hydration and what symptoms can disappear just with water !Kind thoughts ..Dianne

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was diagnosed with acid reflux, it seems like some antiacids give me more "D" than others, why is that? I usually drink some sprite, and it goes away faster, if it's really bad and I can't take it anymore, I will take a Zantac, which helps too. I am IBS "D" type. I have been on Caltrate for about 2 months now, and it has helped me greatly!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was diagnosed with acid reflux, it seems like some antiacids give me more "D" than others, why is that? I usually drink some sprite, and it goes away faster, if it's really bad and I can't take it anymore, I will take a Zantac, which helps too. I am IBS "D" type. I have been on Caltrate for about 2 months now, and it has helped me greatly!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.