Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 18 years old and I have had IBS since I was a freshman in high school. IBS ruined my high school experience. And now, I had to drop out of college in NYC because my symptoms are so bad. I have big dreams of being a film director but I feel thats now unattainable. In filmmaking the schedule is always changing and there is no set routine. We shoot from morning til night and having IBS is really impacting my career. I try to eat right but that doesn't seem to help. I can't exercise because I have a bad hip problem that no doctor has been able to diagnose and it makes doing any exercise painful. I feel like I got the short end of the stick. In high school I was sexually assaulted which still haunts me everyday. Between that experience, having IBS and bad genes I have developed the worst depression, anxiety, agoraphobia, social paranoia disorder and I have resorted to acts like cutting. I am on some of the strongest antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds and they do not help my IBS like they do for some people. I am also in cognitive behavioral therapy. I can't do things like go to sleep overs or parties and I'm always making up excuses for why I leave my boyfriends house so early. I have also recently fainted twice and had seizure like activity and was ambulanced to the emergency room. Doctor's still do not know why this happened. All of this and I am 18. I need help bad, I feel like if I didn't have IBS my life would be so much better and the majority of my problems would disappear. I am also completely petrified to tell anyone (besides family and my doctors) about my condition, because kids are much less accepting. My boyfriend of 2 years doesn't even know. I am so scared to tell him or anyone. I feel so trapped and broken. I am on Levsin and it's okay but doesn't give me freedom to do what I love. I don't know what exactly I am asking for here, maybe a miracle, or maybe someone that can help me in anyway.thanks!

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
I'm 18 years old and I have had IBS since I was a freshman in high school. IBS ruined my high school experience. And now, I had to drop out of college in NYC because my symptoms are so bad. I have big dreams of being a film director but I feel thats now unattainable. In filmmaking the schedule is always changing and there is no set routine. We shoot from morning til night and having IBS is really impacting my career. I try to eat right but that doesn't seem to help. I can't exercise because I have a bad hip problem that no doctor has been able to diagnose and it makes doing any exercise painful. I feel like I got the short end of the stick. In high school I was sexually assaulted which still haunts me everyday. Between that experience, having IBS and bad genes I have developed the worst depression, anxiety, agoraphobia, social paranoia disorder and I have resorted to acts like cutting. I am on some of the strongest antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds and they do not help my IBS like they do for some people. I am also in cognitive behavioral therapy. I can't do things like go to sleep overs or parties and I'm always making up excuses for why I leave my boyfriends house so early. I have also recently fainted twice and had seizure like activity and was ambulanced to the emergency room. Doctor's still do not know why this happened. All of this and I am 18. I need help bad, I feel like if I didn't have IBS my life would be so much better and the majority of my problems would disappear. I am also completely petrified to tell anyone (besides family and my doctors) about my condition, because kids are much less accepting. My boyfriend of 2 years doesn't even know. I am so scared to tell him or anyone. I feel so trapped and broken. I am on Levsin and it's okay but doesn't give me freedom to do what I love. I don't know what exactly I am asking for here, maybe a miracle, or maybe someone that can help me in anyway.thanks!
Send a letter explaining what you have said here to Dr Stephen Wangen at the IBS Treatment Center in Seattle. Good luck and keep fighting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm wondering if what's going on with you is really IBS. Maybe you have a more serious intestinal condition like Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn's Disease -- IBDs. Have you been check for either of these? IBS and IBD symptoms are very similar. You have a very bad case and it sounds like it' more than IBS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.