Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well about a month ago, I went to the doctor. He did not go through the tests to diagnose me with IBS, but decided I had "a form of IBS" and decided to start treating me for Irritable bowel syndrome. he had prescribed "levson" for abdominal cramping, and reccomended citricel to me as a stool softner.Course, the way fate had it, I found the next day I may not have IBS at all, as I discovered I had an internal hemmorhoid the size of texas inside my bowel, which may be what is causing my biggest symptom of "incomplete bowel movements".I've tried treating it for a month and have had no luck. In fact things have worsened. I was taking glycerin supppositories so I wouldn't have ot strain, and they worked great...for the first week. Now they really aren't doing much at all, besides just passing back out, even after being in my system for a whole hour!I was also using hemmorhoid suppositories, which work, but my body doesn't like them taht much and wants to pass them back out, and since I almost always feel gassy, since I can never seem to "clear myself out" when I go to bathroom, I don't like sticking something in my rectum that forces me to hold in gas.Latley things have been real bad... I don't really have IBS-D symptoms, or IBS-C symptoms just the inability to get it all out with one bowel movement. ANd my drinking tolerance has gone to hell recently. Seems every time I get drunk, I'll make like literealy 50 bowel movments the next day, to the point its annoying. And everytime I get back, I start to feel another one coming on...and its not D either, its of normal consistancey, I just don't really understand it all.Last night I tried eating Oatmeal and drinking cofee, which always seems to clear myself out, but last night it didn't...just made me feel more bloated and gassy than before. It always seems to work, but last night it didn't. So now I'm getting to the point where I am just suffering bad. I think my hemmie has swelled even more. Last nigh It got stuck again for a few seconds.It hasn't done that since I discovered itsince I've seemed to work myself back to the totally helpless, lost, and loosing the quality of life stage, I am going to call the doctor monday, and see about getting this stupid hemmie removed, since OTC treatments just aren't working. I got this feeling that all these years I thought I had IBS, I really just had the hemmie from hell that I discovered 10 years too late, and getting it removed will probaly completly restore my excretion system to normal.problem is I got plans monday night and wednesday night, and the docotr probaly won't be able to get me in till thursday night. So what should I do to make it through in the mean time?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well it's good news that you think you found the culprit for your problems. I don't know much about your situation but I don't think I'd rule out IBS yet, by the sounds of your reaction to alcohol. You may want to check out the Rome criteria on it. Anyway, wow you can get into the doc that fast! Up here in Canada it takes forever to get hemmie work done, unless it's an emergency case like mine was. Anyway, I think you made the right decision. It is a tough one. You may want to look into the stapling method. It's a new method that is supposed to be a lot less painful. I don't want to scare you but you will be in for the worst pain one can experience. I haven't experienced childbirth but at least that is short-lived, usually. I was in excruciating pain for days on end. BUT, it was soooooo worth it! You can do it too! Anyway, I hope you go through with it and if you have any questions I would do my best to answer them, having been there and all. To get through the next few days. Sometimes a suppository won't work for me too. What I do is use them at the time of day when I am most likely to have a BM. In the morning, as my tummy is naturally grumpy in the morning. Did you try the citrucel? I use that too. Maybe you could up your dose a bit. It shouldn't make you gassy. Good luck with it all!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking my drinking problem may be due to citrucel. I mean the stuff rocks, it is the only stool softner that simply does what it is supposed to, without aNy adverse side effects. But since alcohol is a natural stool softner, I think the combined effect of alcohol and citrucel, is like taking too much citrucel, and as a result, bad things happen. So I think from now on, since Saturday night is usually drinking with the boys night, I'm not going to take it on saturdays anymore, since this problem really didn't start happening till I started taking citrucel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.