Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Mary. I'm soon to be 26 years old. I 'manage' (<-- yeah, that's bull right there) IBS with diarrhea. And, I'm done.
I was born very sick as a baby can be born at 5 months premature and weighing 1 pound and 7 ounces. I was sick as I grew older, and I had to have my galbladder removed at a younger than most age. Because of which I have suffered from the symptoms of IBS for years.

I'm fed up. I have tracked my triggers: fried, creamy, or too sugary, seeds in fruits or veggies, juices, milk products, fiber, caffeine.

I even recently came to the revelation that the only foods that do not make me have internal pain and want to end it all (Metaphorically. Please rest assured, I do not have thoughts of committing harm to myself or others) is roasted seaweed and bananas. Something about these two, all that happens is I fart. A lot. (Funny to some reading, but for myself experiencing this, it's odd.)

So, I'm done. I am completely done fucking up my own body and ruining myself for a healthier way of life. I officially will do it.

I'll do the low fiber fodmap. I'll miss potatoes and milk and just about everything, but I will sacrifice my love of food if it can make this stop.

Please just make these symptoms stop.

Have I also mentioned, I have read articles of other people having the exact procedure and symptoms as myself, and when they followed this rigorous diet, their bladder, and digestive system was fine?

I would give all of my talents and abilities to function like a regular person.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Right at the beginning I figured it was fiber, not FODMAPs that was my worst enemy. Even some low FODMAPs had too much fiber for my gut to tolerate. That's strange because I'd eaten "healthy" and pretty high-fiber food for at least 30 years just fine.

Suddenly I couldn't.

I tried to find "low fiber FODMAP diet" on google but just kept getting stupid results like...."how to eat more fiber on a low FODMAP diet".....aarrggh!!

At the moment and more or less on-going, I darent ever eat any peels any more, even cucumber peel scrubbed potato peel (like with a baked potato) or grape skins. I have to even take the soft seeds out of a piece of cucumber as well as peel it.

I wish you well with the diet. Do you have a link for this anywhere? It may be what I need to do, too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am 48 and dealing with ibs issues my entire life!
I know how you feel, every time I think I am onto something good, my chronic farting is right there.
I am now beginning to realize that I have a hard time with seed/vegetable oils that are added to almost everything that you can buy that is not a whole food.
Right now I am experimenting with Dr. Gundry to see how I feel.
I think the big thing is that for any diet there are still going to be things that you cannot eat on the "approved" list of foods.
The hardest thing is figuring out what the triggers are when it seems like everything you eat makes you feel like ****!
good luck.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've had it since kindergarten, being sent home at least twice a week with diarrhea. I think mine stems from the fact that my mother had chemo while expecting me, before she knew she was pregnant. She has ibsc since then, oddly. I eat very plain--baked/grilled/roasted with no added fats meat, chicken and fish. Very few red meats, a little of the leaner pork cuts. Then, I eat NOTHING raw. It just kills me. And I make sure that the fiber I eat is Soluble (goopy) as opposed to Non-Soluble (peels, celery, roughage). I eat very few carbs, as anything that is or converts to sugar tends to aggravate it. I use stevia as sweetener (be careful that it is only stevia w/o additives, the powdered stevia has maltose, which hurts). I drink various herbal teas, take apple cider vinegar in water every morning. One thing I notice that bothers me is anything that causes me to swallow air, such as chewing gum (there is a xylitol flavored gum that I am okay with). Quite simply, you want as close to pure as you can get, be careful with oils and fats, try herbs that are known to be gut friendly. I don't think it will ever go away, but I feel like I'm managing it quite well (I'm 64, so done it a long time). As a benefit, my family was fed what I could eat primarily and now are very healthy as they are grown and have kids of their own. It's more natural (not necessarily organic) and less processed, which I think is a major factor. Growing up, my parents were into chocolate and that killed me, I had no idea it was food caused, they all said it was nerves. that's part of it, but food it the only thing I can change.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fodmaps make no difference for me whatsoever. Limiting my fiber intake to no more than 25g a day helps a lot. My diet is based around white bread and rice. I mix soy milk, corn starch and/or olive oil into my meals when I need to add calories. I do eat veg but only if they've been boiled for about an hour as anything raw guess straight through me. Potatoes are good as they have calories as well as nutrition. I peel them of course. No fruit, seeds, nuts, whole grains. The good news is that since I've adopted this diet I'm only going 2-3 times a day and it's more solid and less urgent than it used to be. I'm more confident about going outside and haven't used immodium in months (previously I was a regular user since early childhood).

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think that avoiding fodmaps is good for "normal people", that may have minor issues with them. Everyone that is on this forum needs to come up with their own diet. I have tried many different diets for years and always had bad results. I had to start journaling and writing down my triggers. Fortunately I have gotten much better recently, but then I will get really bad gas and diarrhea for days! And most the time I cannot quite put my finger on why I got so sick?

Why didn't God send us with our own unique manuals from birth?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mary and all,

I'm sorry I didn't join these IBS discussion groups earlier. If it helps, I made it to the other side. The side where I'm basically a normal human being. I made it there about 2-3.5 years ago, having started with IBS 9 years ago @ ~26 yrs old). There may have been like 2-4 small flare-ups none lasting more than 3-5 days in that 1.5 year period. But other than that, in this 1.5 year period, most people wouldn't think I'm not normal, and I can engage in normal life (social and work etc).

I'd like to help as many people as possible.

The truth is there can be a light at the end of this tunnel.

IBS seems to have many different physical effects and slightly different causes, so I may not be able to help everyone with IBS.

But Mary, you're on the right path towards getting better.

The only thing I'd like to encourage you and everyone who's still trying to get better is to do an elimination diet.
Instead of the FODMAP or other diet, start with almost nothing at all as your diet and build from there.

And before you even start the elimination diet, you should try to clean your gut out in one way or another. Because some foods stay in the gut for a long time, and also the bad bacteria/fungus/yeast can still live off the biofilm and stuff in your gut for some time without food.

1) Talk to your gastroenterologist or/and alternative medicine doctor about starting this elimination diet.
This would be ideal, as they can help you clean your gut and follow your path. But it is known that doctors are dismissive of IBS patients, I understand if this isn't fruitful at the time. But always be on the search for these good doctors, they do exist, and they have helped me (after having gone through 10 doctors that didn't).

Be gentle with your cleanse and plan it for a Friday or Saturday (a day you don't have to go to work or do social engagements). It may take up to two days to really clear your gut, so you need to have those 2 days without other engagements.

I would choose a gentle cleanse, so that you're not in pain from excess diarrhea.
The Gastroenterologist may decide to give you the salt liquid soltuion they give for colon prep, or tell you to drink a certain percentage of it (maybe 50 or 75%).
I've used "Renew Life Cleanse more" and followed up with some sonne's no. 7 or spinach smoothie (just spinach and water and stevia).
Some people caution against enemas. My dr.s always said it was not a good idea, so I never did it. I don't know how effective or safe they are.

Whatever cleanse you choose, try to find one that's gentle, because something too strong may hurt you (too many times in bathroom, or too strong). Sometimes senna or too much senna for example can be too strong.

2) Plan and execute the elimination diet
Plan to start the diet a day that you're not working (the day after you started with the cleanse).
Have your note book ready, have the food you will be eating cooked or ready to be cooked.
Starting diets that have low amounts of food (low calories) may leave you tired/fatigued, so its best to have the food already in your fridge.

Think of what is the absolute safest food that you have experienced with little to no side effects.
First, find the protein. What protein have you consumed that you believe has had little to no side effects on you?
Then think of a vegetable, ideally with fiber that you believe has had little to no side effects on you.

Make those 2 things your starting diet.
Or, if you want to be even more cautious start with the protein only for 1-2 days before adding the vegetable.

I recommend starting with a chicken broth (bone broth) diet.
My elimination diet started with literally just chicken and water and salt (though boiled for at least 5 hrs). Eventually i added coconut oil, and found i could tolerate it. Then I added celery as well, and found I could tolerate it too. All of this was without diarrhea, constipation, or gas. Well, I had no gas or problems the first 2 days of the chicken broth, but then had hard stools/constipation. I was advised to add the fiber. I chose celery, as broccoli and cabbage had caused me gas in the past. It looked like cooked celery had no negative effects on me, and I was producing more regular stools.

From there I was stable for some time. I kept this myself for 2-3 weeks before deciding to add another food, but you can probably try to add foods every 3 days. Only add 1 food at a time, and wait 3 days to see effects (some food take longer to see effects than others, they reside in the gut longer, etc..).
If you have negative effects, you cannot add that food at this time. If you have no effects, consider that now part of your diet.

One thing to help you add more foods is to
1) ensure a daily amount of fiber, from a source that doesn't cause problems like gas or anything else. Identify a vegetable that agrees with you that has fiber and is positive for you. Start with a small amount, and increase to an amount that makes a differnce in the quality of your stool. like if you notice a small improvement but need more improvement, then increase the fiber say 10% in a week or 2 weeks time. If you start having great stools with the amount of fiber you chose, then stay there, no need to increase, unless you'd like the health benefits. But again, do this slowly, and moderately, to avoid having gas or other issues.

2) Add probiotics-
Have you ever heard the saying "love covers a multitude of sins?"
Well, probiotics is like a saving grace.
Maybe you do lack an enzyme that you need to digest X, Y, Z. Maybe your system doesn't really make it anymore, or ever made it.
But you know what might actually have that enzyme?
Another microbe.
One of my good gastros prescribed me a priobiotic to be taken 3 times a day which was 200 billion CFU of like 8 strains from a milk culture.
I tried it, but I had (sort of still have) milk intolerance- both casein and lactose.
So, after taking it my apartment smelled like sour milk. :(

But, I had already improved from the other prescriprtion he had given me (Xifaxan- a targeted antibiotic) . So I figured he's probably right in the idea of a treatment. He knew I had the milk intolerance, but Dr.s have this saying or idea of "the benefits outweigh the negative effects."
Unfortunately, that's not true for us IBSers .
I can't go to work smelling like sour milk. :rolleyes:

So, I looked for a strong probiotic that had the same or similar strains as the one he gave me but without the milk culture.

I came accross Renew Life probiotics. They had a 150 billion, and an 80 billlion mixed bifido and lacto bacteria probiotic capsules in the refrigerator.
I first bought the 150 billion and took it as if it was the one the doctor had initially perscribed to me. 3 times a day for 2 weeks (so 450 billion/day for two weeks).
This probiotic was expensive, I maintained with the 80 billion once a day.

Your gut biome is approximately 13 trillion bacteria, so you do the math on wanting to make a difference in your gut . You can get rid of flatulence caused by bad bacteria eating your crap, if you stop feeding them and also if you feed and add the good bacteria.

And for the most part that is how I got better. I started with a chicken broth diet (high protein, low carb, NO SUGAR), took probiotics, added a daily fiber (spinach smoothie), and slowly i got better.
A few months later, I was able to eat my cheat foods without much of a reaction.
Almost a year later, I dared to try an apple, I had been diagnosed with fructose malabsorption (as part of my IBS) and hadn't eaten an apple in years. Apples made me go to bathroom within literally 1 minute of consumption.
But, I tried like 1/8th of an apple and NOTHING happened the whole day. Today, I can eat 2 apples a day without much or any consequence :D !!

I can have a scoop of ice cream without much consequence (2 scoops though set me back to my flare-- diarrhea).. I'm probably still milk intolerant (but now more tolerant than before).

I used to not be able to handle onions or garlic.
Like not even in chicken seasoned with onions and garlic in restaurants/fast food.
But now I can eat food seasoned with it with NO problems (I just don't actually eat onions or garlic themselves).

My specific results and solution may not be exactly yours.

But I'm sure a 1-cleanse, 2-elimination diet, 3-daily acceptable fiber, 4- daily probiotic intake of mixed strains and significant CFU (billions), will get you on the right path and improve your health.

Also ask your doctor's to check your stools for infections. you could have c. difficile, or yeast or a number of pathogens that initially "caused" your IBS, and getting rid of them would be first order to getting better. They have specific antibiotics or suggestions on how to do that.

Wish you the best!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ohh also another key thing is pH. Especially, if you're looking to get rid of flatulence, you have to always keep in mind, its most likely caused by the bad bacteria in your gut b/c you're eating things you have not absorbed, and so the food gets to them, and they start growing and giving off their gas (usually H2).
Anyway, so you have to stop feeding them (not eat sugar or much sugar starch foods).

You also want to make your gut environment good for the good bacteria and bad for the bad bacteria.

This usually means you want a slightly acidic pH in your gut.

That's why many people even non-IBSers have seen improvements in their digestion and overall health when doing things like:

1) Drinking something acidic in the morning (every morning on empty stomach is best) or after eating something that upset you.
Acidic things include:

-lemon water
-warm/boiling water with lemon/lime
-1-2 tsps Apple Cider Vinegar in 8-16 oz of water

These acidic liquids help reset the pH in your digestive system (mainly intestines), killing some bad bacteria in the process and making your good bacteria happier, and body ready to have a good environment for any new good bacteria you give to it (in probioticcs).

If I start getting diarrhea, or an upset, I do immediately turn to my ACV water or lemon water, to improve my upset. FYI

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think that avoiding fodmaps is good for "normal people", that may have minor issues with them. Everyone that is on this forum needs to come up with their own diet. I have tried many different diets for years and always had bad results. I had to start journaling and writing down my triggers. Fortunately I have gotten much better recently, but then I will get really bad gas and diarrhea for days! And most the time I cannot quite put my finger on why I got so sick?

Why didn't God send us with our own unique manuals from birth?
I agree LifeLongIssues. I think we all need to find our "own diet."
As to helping you get less sporadically sick, try being consistent with adding a good probiotic to your daily or at least twice a week regimen. And if its possible, try to stick to a low starch, low sugar diet. That way when you do try triggers, there's less bad bacteria in your system to cause a drastic response anyway, so your negative effect will be less bad.

Since you've gotten better on your own diet, you probably know what's a good diet for you.
As for some surprise triggers, here's some that are common, that can sometimes be "hidden" and you maybe consuming without knowing you're triggering your system.

1) antibiotics- whether in pills or in food (many non-organic, non-antibiotic-free meat) has a lot of antibiotics and these coudl be killing your good gut microbes, causing you to be more vulnerable to any bad thing (trigger) you eat.

2) Carageenan- do a test. Try chicken that explicitly says it does't have carageenan and if positive then on a different day eat chicken that does have carageenan (make sure not to add any condiments that weren't added on the first test). Don't eat anything different from the day of first test. Wait 3 days, (sometimes reaction is immeidate sometimes it takes up to 3 days).
For me carageenan produces gas and stomach pain within hours of consumption. It does the same for other people too.
Carageenan is a hidden filler in many chicken. Chicken in walmart by walmart brand (the non-antibiotic-free brand) contains carageenan. Subway used to serve chicken with carageenan and I think a few other fast food chains used to as well.

3) gums-
some foods have gums added to it. You maybe triggered by some gums and others are fine with you, or it maybe the amount of gums you consume that could cause the problem. Xanthan gum, locust bean gum, gum arabic.. etc. watch out for it. Again do these tests, where you try the food without the gum (if possible) and try the food with the gum , or consume small amount of that food and find out if its a quantity issue.

4) Sugar alcohols-
Xylitol, Erythitol, Sorbitol, malitol etc. The sugar substitutes ending in "ol" are known to cause issues in the digestive system. They feed the bad bacteria in your gut, and so can cause the upset. Again, your system may be a able to tolerate a certain amount wihtout issue, but then passing that amount may cause the issue. In any case, consuming these consistenty does not create a good environment for you good bacteria, it creates a good environment for the bad ones that give you gas and problems. Therefore, Its recommended to not consume these alcohols at all or only on occasion.
BTW- peaches and raspberries? have sorbitol. so beware.

I hope this helps to reduce the number of "suprise flares" you have.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had it since kindergarten, being sent home at least twice a week with diarrhea. I think mine stems from the fact that my mother had chemo while expecting me, before she knew she was pregnant. She has ibsc since then, oddly. I eat very plain--baked/grilled/roasted with no added fats meat, chicken and fish. Very few red meats, a little of the leaner pork cuts. Then, I eat NOTHING raw. It just kills me. And I make sure that the fiber I eat is Soluble (goopy) as opposed to Non-Soluble (peels, celery, roughage). I eat very few carbs, as anything that is or converts to sugar tends to aggravate it. I use stevia as sweetener (be careful that it is only stevia w/o additives, the powdered stevia has maltose, which hurts). I drink various herbal teas, take apple cider vinegar in water every morning. One thing I notice that bothers me is anything that causes me to swallow air, such as chewing gum (there is a xylitol flavored gum that I am okay with). Quite simply, you want as close to pure as you can get, be careful with oils and fats, try herbs that are known to be gut friendly. I don't think it will ever go away, but I feel like I'm managing it quite well (I'm 64, so done it a long time). As a benefit, my family was fed what I could eat primarily and now are very healthy as they are grown and have kids of their own. It's more natural (not necessarily organic) and less processed, which I think is a major factor. Growing up, my parents were into chocolate and that killed me, I had no idea it was food caused, they all said it was nerves. that's part of it, but food it the only thing I can change.
Trudy I have a similar diet. But I've been able to expand as well. Probably to my detriment, as I was always losing weight before I got better. -- I was scared to eat, when I didn't know what to eat, and had to go to work... I would literally fast during the week sometimes and eat only weekends then. .. Those were hard days.
Anyway, at this point, I eat foods that used to cause my problems. I do think its thanks to my probiotics.
I wouldn't change anything if all of this works for you. .
But in light of the holidays coming up or special occasions, I wonder if you've tried probiotics and whether you've seen results in expanded amount of foods you can eat (more variety)?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am 48 and dealing with ibs issues my entire life!
I know how you feel, every time I think I am onto something good, my chronic farting is right there.
I am now beginning to realize that I have a hard time with seed/vegetable oils that are added to almost everything that you can buy that is not a whole food.
Right now I am experimenting with Dr. Gundry to see how I feel.
I think the big thing is that for any diet there are still going to be things that you cannot eat on the "approved" list of foods.
The hardest thing is figuring out what the triggers are when it seems like everything you eat makes you feel like ****!
good luck.
LifelongIssues,

Let us know how the Dr. Gundry diet works for you.
I've seen results with my elimination diet, as I mentioned. I have more details in the post to Mary I wrote on this discussion.
The only reason I mention it to you (in now another reply to one of your posts) is because you mention "there are still going to be things that you cannot eat on the "approved list of foods."

That is such a true statement!
That is what frustrated me for years with doctors.

They did tell me to go on a low-fodmaps diet.

It never worked, and it was stupid to tell me to do that.
Because they had also diagnosed me with fructose malabsorption, and from what i told them, onions and garlic also caused problems, so they should have straight up told me I probably had "fructan malabsorption too."

But no, they didn't, instead they just hand me these stupid papers telling me what to eat and not eat. I follow it and then can't go to work the next few days. I was so angry. Never trusted those lists again.It took me time to understand that I did have "fructan malabsoprtion." I came up with the conclusion myself, and indeed it all began to make sense.
Why does Honey cause problems, or the medicine with inulin or the chicory root in my tea? It all started to make sense when I found out I had fructan malabsorption (in addition to other limitations).

None of the diets people ever suggested worked...I had to find my own diet. Probably true for most of us, and i hope to save poor IBS fellows here from falling into the same trap.

Anyway, let us know what Dr. Gundry's diet does for you.. I still don't know why lectins are so bad. I'll have to read up on it.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Nina!

I am a little thinner, but I have been lean for years primarily from Intermittent fasting!

Besides that, Still Farting Away!

I am done with different diets, I already know what is good and bad for me from doing so much research over the years.

As far as the leaky gas goes, I will need to write myself a book specifically for this body!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I forgot to make it clear on all this advice, that if you are going to do the chicken broth or honestly eat meat, its best to get the antibiotic-free meat. That's what I did. Only the last year or so with inflation and supply chain issues did I start more consistently eating meat that wasn't antibiotic free (availability issues, other people's houses, restaurants).
But for the road to recovery, why give yourself a dose of antibiotics as you take probiotics, its like wasting the probiotics and taking longer to recover.

The other thing is when you make the bone broth, you want the highest quality, so use bottled spring water unless you have a very good water purification system at home.
Probably distillation I hear is one of the best, but not sure if it gets rid of chlorine as well. You may want to combine your systems (filter+ distillation? ).

Where i was living, the water came out brown and then the other place I moved to, you could taste the chlorine in the water.
I never used either in my broths. I always used bottled spring water (gallon) for the broth.
And for drinking I would also drink from that...
I hate doing that, but those places, we didn't trust the water quality.

At my current location I do just use filtered water with a Brita filter. But I'm also at my most improved state when I arrived here anyway.
Be careful with your water quality. It can have chlorine that would change your pH, and I don't know what other things may slip up or even you maybe sensitive to the acceptable quantities of whatever your water plant actually finds acceptable. Best to have some sort of purification system in place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts