Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's been a long time since I've posted here; only in the last couple of weeks have things gotten really bad.

I had a followup with my gastro doctor (who I love) a couple of weeks ago, after about a month of pelvic floor therapy... they could tell the muscles on the left side of my colon were tight just by massaging me, which is where the whole problem originates from (everything gets down to the bottom but gets stuck there). There was a mixup with scheduling and I thought I had to take an enema before the appointment so she could test the strength or weakness of the muscles down there. I hate doing enemas because I hate having diarrhea (or the sensation of it), and since then I've been feeling super off.

I still felt constipated, and it took days to get back to what I thought was normal. I went a few days ago and I thought I was finally fine, but since then I've been super soft and urgent... but it still takes effort to push once I sit. I thought it was just overflow or whatever, so I took the milk of magnesia I was prescribed (I thought the max dose would be way too much so I went with 45ml, which is in the middle). Yesterday was pretty horrible - I had to poop literally all day, and what's come out is all liquid. I strained so much I thought I was going to hurt myself, and it was like I had a diaper rash from all the wiping. I'm still having to go today, and the consistency hasn't changed. No matter how many times I sit or for how long I never feel done. I hate when I'm like this because it makes it hard to go out or do anything - I've already had to cancel an appointment because I'm worried about something happening while I'm in public. My doctor doesn't want to test for/diagnose IBS because she knows it's probably more because of my disability than anything.

I don't know how the MoM has stayed in my system for so long, or how there's still anything left inside me. Honestly I'd much rather be constipated and not be able to go rather than deal with this. It feels like nothing I've been prescribed has worked as intended - colace, Miralax, and now it seems like the MoM might be the same - and I'm getting really frustrated. I want to try lowering the dose of MoM once I'm back to normal to see if that helps, but other than that I'm not sure. I'm hardly ever regular or consistent no matter what I do, and I'm getting desperate.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
hi

so sorry you're having probems again. i see by your profile that you have IBS-A. could it be that you're having problems with D now because your body has shifted from having ibs-c to ibs-a?

it sounds like you also have problems with pelvic floor dysfunction. did the pelvic floor therapy you had help at all? did your gastro doc test your muscles to see if they were too strong or too weak? what did she say about it all?

also, you mentioned in one of your other posts that you have cerebral palsy. i know that can cause constipation.

i wish i had some suggestions for you but i really don't know what else to say other than what i've already said in your other posts. im sorry i can't be of more help. can you call your gastro doc and ask her for advice? hopefully someone else on here can help.

hope things get better for you soon. take care.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi

so sorry you're having probems again. i see by your profile that you have IBS-A. could it be that you're having problems with D now because your body has shifted from having ibs-c to ibs-a?

it sounds like you also have problems with pelvic floor dysfunction. did the pelvic floor therapy you had help at all? did your gastro doc test your muscles to see if they were too strong or too weak? what did she say about it all?

also, you mentioned in one of your other posts that you have cerebral palsy. i know that can cause constipation.

i wish i had some suggestions for you but i really don't know what else to say other than what i've already said in your other posts. im sorry i can't be of more help. can you call your gastro doc and ask her for advice? hopefully someone else on here can help.

hope things get better for you soon. take care.
I'm really not sure if I've shifted or if I'm so backed up that it all just needed to come out. The pelvic floor PT did help, yes. My doctor said I could start going again if I need to, but since I'm doing regular therapy for my CP right now I don't want to double up and run out of sessions covered by insurance. If the MoM is still messing with my system or if the lower dose still makes me miserable I'll probably call her again.

What frustrates me is that I haven't changed anything about how I eat or drink - if anything I eat better than I used to, and I drink plenty of water. I've probably been a little less active, but I don't understand how that would make everything so soft and messy (before the MoM turned it watery). This doesn't make much sense, and I'm getting tired of trying to figure it out.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
yes, it could be overflow D from being backed up. if it is, hopefully it will stop soon.

that's good the the pelvic floor PT helped.

and yes, do call your doc back again if the lower dose of milk of mag doesn't work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.