Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i came across this forum when i was doing some random surfing on the internet about my problem i'm having now. i thought i was the only one who is suffering this and when i came in and found out lots of people are also having the same problem, i was quite happy because i can finally find someone to talk and relate to. so my problem is this..it started in around dec 2008 and i was 17 years old..and one day i noticed that when i walked outside, people will start talking about some smell that i have. they say that i keep farting when i really didn't..so i really don't know where it's coming from. and this would last around 1-2 weeks for each month and after that week is over, the smell just suddenly goes away and i'm back to "normal" again. and up to this day, i'm still suffering from this problem. the ironic thing is..when i asked my family/relative/friends about it, they said they can't smell it. so i went to see my family doctor and told him about my problem. he referred me to see a psychiatrist or a counselor instead. so i went to see them both..i saw the psychiatrist for about 5 times and the counselor for about a year. and they concluded that i have a delusional disorder and told me to take med. but i know what was going on with my mind and i know for sure that those people were talking about me..so i decided to stop seeing them. and recently when i found out about this site, i immediately told my family doctor about it and told him about the TMAU and the leaky gas syndrome and i asked him if i could do any tests or see a gastroenterologist to see if i have any of those because i'm desperate to know. and then he tells me that it's not possible because cause there's nothing to test cause he thinks it's just my own illusion and that i have obsessive compulsive disorder, and he referred me to see the psychiatrist again and insist me in taking medicine. unless i have someone to witness or some sort of evidence that i actually do smell, then he says he will do something about it. the problem is i asked people that i know and they said they can't smell..and i'm kind of scared to ask the strangers because it's awkward and quite embarassing..so i need help right now..i don't know what else to do. i'm 19 right now and there's alot of stuff out there for me to do but it seems like this problem is blocking me from doing anything. any advices or suggestions will be greatly appreaciated. thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same problem, perhaps its that your anus is not tight enough, and the gas is leaking out. Try doing some rectum exercises to tighten the anus back to normal. You can do this by squeezing your anus tightly closed for 30 seconds 10 times a day. Also there is another exercise were you tighten and untighten the anus 30 times within 30 seconds, do it as fast as you can. hopefully this helps, if not, I will try to think of other suggestions

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe these people are the ass holes. You're young enough that bullying is a possibility sadly ( hopefully not). If someone you really trust and spend lots of time around says they have never noticed anything, and YOU can't smell anything (lets face it, most people can smell their own farts if there's any odor at all), then ask yourself about the character of these people. Are they of the kind of character that they'd pull a mean trick on someone. If they were adults I'd not consider this- but looks like they're still kids correct? A possibility anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the same problem, perhaps its that your anus is not tight enough, and the gas is leaking out. Try doing some rectum exercises to tighten the anus back to normal. You can do this by squeezing your anus tightly closed for 30 seconds 10 times a day. Also there is another exercise were you tighten and untighten the anus 30 times within 30 seconds, do it as fast as you can. hopefully this helps, if not, I will try to think of other suggestions
thanks, i will try that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe these people are the ass holes. You're young enough that bullying is a possibility sadly ( hopefully not). If someone you really trust and spend lots of time around says they have never noticed anything, and YOU can't smell anything (lets face it, most people can smell their own farts if there's any odor at all), then ask yourself about the character of these people. Are they of the kind of character that they'd pull a mean trick on someone. If they were adults I'd not consider this- but looks like they're still kids correct? A possibility anyway.
but not just the kids say to me, even adults say it too. while i am at school, at work..everywhere i go.

·
Registered
38 Posts
but not just the kids say to me, even adults say it too. while i am at school, at work..everywhere i go.
This may sound weird but just to show the doctor that you are not making this up, why don't you find some way to record people saying stuff to you about your odor. or tell someone that can smell you what you are going through and that your doctor thinks you are making it up. if you have witnesses then the doctor can't really say it's just your imagination.just an idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This may sound weird but just to show the doctor that you are not making this up, why don't you find some way to record people saying stuff to you about your odor. or tell someone that can smell you what you are going through and that your doctor thinks you are making it up. if you have witnesses then the doctor can't really say it's just your imagination.just an idea.
that's a good idea. thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's embarrassing so i won't go into details of my own experience but trust me when i say if it's what i have it will get worse if left untreated. This problem started for me when i was in the middle of 10th grade. I've had very similar experiences to yours. Get a hydrogen breath test for SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). Not every1 does this so you have to find somewhere that tests for it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It would be difficult to smell yourself if you're smelling yourself all the time, which I think is the difference between most people smelling their own farts, cause their farts are temporary.It may take a while to find people to back up your story to a doc, but those people are out there. A lot of people strangely don't feel it's rude to make snide remarks but would be avoid telling anyone directly that they always smelled, but if you find the people to back up your story, it'll make visits to the docs so much easier than going through all the 'it's probably in your head' stuff.SIBO might be worth looking into. Since I was put on antibiotics for six weeks (to treat a different condition), the smell has gotten a lot less intense and at times seemingly non-existent.There was a guy on here who got good results from a natural diet (not the pre-packaged, preservative and additive laden foods). The increase in fiber and natural diet may help reduce the smell a lot.Also Devrom is a supplement that'll help reduce the smell as well, or Pepto-Bismol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Be proactive and seek a second opinion. I went through 2 Doctors and a dietician before I finally found someone who referred me to a Gastroenterologist. Even before seeing a GI, make positive changes to your diet, such as excluding wheat, sugar, try to stick to a more natural diet, nothing processed. See if there is an effect. I have had plenty of success with the change in diet as well as taking liquid chlorophyll to control the smell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Be proactive and seek a second opinion. I went through 2 Doctors and a dietician before I finally found someone who referred me to a Gastroenterologist. Even before seeing a GI, make positive changes to your diet, such as excluding wheat, sugar, try to stick to a more natural diet, nothing processed. See if there is an effect. I have had plenty of success with the change in diet as well as taking liquid chlorophyll to control the smell.

·
Registered
31 Posts
do you stand on your feet or walk a lot?if yes then avoid that as much as possibleeat more fibers and less starch or anything that make your bm well formedschedule your BMtake a course of meds that your psychiatrist suggested,what will you lose?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our body is built to handle just so much intestinal bacteria. When there is way too much bacteria our sweat starts to smell like s#!t. Doctors can't help you with this. It has to do with what you eat, what you can digest, and what is left behind for bacteria (no pun intended). About 30% of us loose the ability to digest milk sugar as we become adults. Something similar also hapens with sucrose to about 20% of us. If we don't absorb it then bacteria have a feast - literally. Doctors can't give you a medicine to make this beter and tests usually don't work. The simplest thing to try is Atkins diet with no dairy. Problem solved if it works. Wishing everyone we.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Our body is built to handle just so much intestinal bacteria. When there is way too much bacteria our sweat starts to smell like s#!t. Doctors can't help you with this. It has to do with what you eat, what you can digest, and what is left behind for bacteria (no pun intended). About 30% of us loose the ability to digest milk sugar as we become adults. Something similar also hapens with sucrose to about 20% of us. If we don't absorb it then bacteria have a feast - literally. Doctors can't give you a medicine to make this beter and tests usually don't work. The simplest thing to try is Atkins diet with no dairy. Problem solved if it works. Wishing everyone we.
Just letting u know. Our problem isn't coming from sweat. Your right about the bacteria though, except our's is coming out through gas at the end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,I suffer from the exact problem as yourself for a period of about 5 years now. I was sent to a psychiatrist that told me the exact same thing. It was all a delusion of my mind and put me on anxiety, depression and anti psychotic medication.Firstly i feel your pain. I know the toll this takes on your social life, and life in general.I have tried therapy, anxiety/depression/paranoia medication all with limited success.The best result i got was a free session of hypnotherapy for IBS, it just felt like a massive weight was lifted off my shoulders but once the 4 minute audio finishedi was to the toilet and had the only normal bowel movement for myself in 5 YEARS! but the anxious thoughts about being labeled the smelly guy returned again and the bowelproblems started again.Please send any results from remedies, treatments, diets etc you receive as im trying to get over this problem myself

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.