Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's been a while since I've been here, but I'm just about in tears here. I so want to get help with this once and for all.I was diagnosed with IBS years ago. I have the diarrhea form of it. I take Donnatal as needed for any pain flareups.The last few months to a year, it seems like something's changed. I swear I cannot go to the bathroom (ie, urinate) without having a bowel movement as well. It's EVERY TIME I go to the bathroom. I, seriously, am jealous of people who are constipated. To me, that sounds like some kind of blessing. Just one day of constipation would be so wonderful. :(It's getting to the point that I don't want to drink a lot of water. And, I try to hold in the urine as long as possible, just so I don't have to go. And, that's really, really not good for the bladder or kidneys.I guess it's because I'm going so often, but my butt is never clean. Never. I wipe and wipe and wipe and wipe. I use moist towelettes. I go through rolls and rolls of toilet paper. I use creams to soothe the tissue. I'm in the bathroom way too long - I know my friends and family wonder why it takes me so long to go. But, it's because it takes so long to wipe. And, even then, about 5 minutes after I leave the bathroom, I can feel it. I'm not clean again. :)AND, because I'm wiping so much, the tissue is raw. So, it's like sandpaper when I do all this wiping. I finally was crying the other night after a particularly painful wiping session and just went to bed as I was. I know I wasn't completely clean, but I just couldn't do it anymore.So, yesterday, I finally called the Internist that I've seen before. He isn't the one who actually diagnosed me (I've moved cities since then). But, I had to finally do something. Someone has to help me. I can't take this anymore.I just got a call from the nurse. She said the doctor wants to do a stool culture. That I can come to the lab and pick up the container anytime. How hard is it to do a stool culture? How do I collect it?Y'all, is there an end in sight to this? It's possible that it could be some kind of infection or parasite (ick
) that can be cured, right? I mean, I'll still have IBS-D, but maybe there's something more to it that can be treated, so that I can go back to just plain IBS-D like I used to have?Please reassure me that there's hope. Because I sure don't see any right now.Is it ever possible to get completely clean and not feel like you have to keep wiping so often? And, is it possible to not have raw tissue that bleeds everytime you go to the bathroom? -_-This is all so embarrassing. And, I don't know who else to talk to about it.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Since there has been a change it is good to check that something new hasn't cropped up.I do think sometimes we can feel like we aren't cleaned and then sometimes when things get raw it is then even harder to know if you are clean or not. Have you tried a short sitz bath or a hand held shower head so you can rinse off rather than have to wipe off. May feel cleaner and may be easier on raw tender skin.Have you ever tried Imodium or Calcium Carbonate (there is a thread pinned in the diarrhea forum). Sometimes one or the other or some of both will firm up the stool and slow things down. There are also some prescription meds that can be used to control the diarrhea.There may be some need to look at the pelvic floor to see if you are over relaxing when you pee. Have you ever tried Kegel exercises? That may help increase the control a bit, but you may need testing and professional help (like biofeedback training).

·
Registered
626 Posts
The collection of stool for the lab should be a piece of cake. They should give you some sort of container to place in the toilet bowl, and then you "extract" the sample form there, put it in a sealed container and drop it off at the lab. I had to do this last year (it was one of the very first tests I got done as a matter of fact), and they tested mine for all ova, parasites, salmonella, shigella, campylobacter, clostridium, etc etc etc. Believe me if something is there they should be able to find it.I hope you feel better soon. I know what it's like to go through half a roll of toilet paper in one sitting... not fun.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree with TummyDep, try showering (or installing a bidet) instead of wiping - to give your botty a chance to heal. Also use a pH neutral soap.I got over urinary frequency years ago by temporarily increasing my consumption of SALT, and moderating my water intake. The body needs a certain fixed salt concentration in the blood. If there isnt enough it will excrete fluid (urine) to increase the salt concentration. By adding salt to your normal intake, it won't need to excrete more fluid. This will help you break the cycle as it did for me.Grab some sea salt crystals and suck on them from time to time.Cheers,Jackmat

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, while using water would be a great help, I'm not able to do it. For one thing, it's not possible at work or places like that. And, at home, I have to use a shower chair (due to a permanent knee injury I have). I wish a shower to get clean would be possible.I can't believe I'm sitting here searching Google and hoping I have an intestinal parasite.
Just because that, at least, could be treated and I'd get better.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes Dolly, I remember when I was really bad and hoping it was a parasite. Are you able to have natural fibre like psyllium husks or brown rice?Both products played a huge part in my recovery.Jackmat

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went by the lab and picked up the stuff for the stool samples. It's a 3 day test. I have to collect it for three days and put it into tubes and containers and stuff.If there's something here, this really will find it? Promise?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Depends on what the Lab tests for. I would ask the Dr what he requested they test for.You can use a Sitz bath at home to aid you in hygiene & help soothe those irritated tissues. (You can get sitz baths at the Pharmacy or Surgical supply stores)Use moist flushable wipes EVERY time you use the bathroom. Wipe as gently as possible. Try not to use toliet tissue until your butt heals us some. Bring the flushable moist wipes in a ziplock bag in your purse to work. If you give it a few days rest from toliet paper I'm sure it will start to heal up. But if it doesn't have the Dr take a look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I just put up a post about Acidophilus capsules and want to recommend them to you. Your symptoms sound just like what I was dealing with. I know what a sore bottom feels like and it's hell, I know. Try just wiping off the majority of the residue with bath tissue after having a bowel movement. Then use soft wash cloths soaked in warm water to completely clean the area. Then pat dry and apply some ointment like A & D ointment. That will seal and heal the raw tissue in the rectal area. The Acidophilus capsules are an inexpensive remedy that you can find easily at any drugstore. Give it a couple of days to really feel the relief, if it doesn't work, it was just less than $5 investment, so no great loss. But I highly recommend it, it's worked miracles on me after having IBS for years. Take only one each morning with breakfast. Best wishes

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like we're testing for C-Diff Toxin, ova and parasites and e-coli. Weirdly enough, it doesn't look like he's checking for Giardia. I would think that would be a standard thing to look for.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Dotty,Giardia is considered a parasite.

·
Registered
908 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.