Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for a long time ive been plagued with heartburn/indigestion its getting to the point it feels like im having a heart attack (i kid you not) i was briefly taking zoton and it was helping, gaviscon liquid and tablet form is not even touching the pain.Does anyone else with ibs have this? if so can anyone advise me what to take, i feel the doc thinks ibs is a minor problem but honest to god im getting it 6 nights out of 7 its so painful and its going all the way through to my back, any help as ever would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has your doctor prescribed any meds for this? If I were you I would talk to your doc.I myself didn't even know I had reflux nor did my doc because mine causes 24/7 nausea, no burning pain. I do have times were it feels like someone is taking a dagger and shoving it through my chest to my back though, that usually only happens if I miss a dose of meds, by morning I'm paying for it (I take my reflux meds at night)By the way, I had never experienced reflux until the IBS showed up.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks nausea for the reply, my doc has prescribed gaviscon mix its a pink liquid that tastes vile but it does not get rid of the pain, im going to make an appointment to see her next week and hopefully she will give me something to help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Few questions...are you taking your supplements right before it happens? Have you raised the head of your bed up?Do you burp up your food? Feel bloated long after eating?Have you tried a digestive enzyme? I take hcl almost everytime I eat. I take up to six capsules with a large meal. If you are not making enough hcl then the food will sit there and start making pressure that can cause heartburn. And yep, Im no doc. But obviously the docs are very ignorant when it comes to finding solutions that address the actual problems. If someone isnt making enough hcl it doesnt mean they wont get heartburn. Something to check into.Reenaps. And if its 'indigestion' then why are you taking something to get rid of the acid in your stomach? OR stop it from producing acid? Seems like you need help with the digestion part.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Have you been tested for H.Pilory?It's a bacteria responsible for the ulcers???A breath test can diagnose it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yo spasman
do you mean mouth ulcers? or tummy ulcers? i have both
i can never tell the difference with heartburn/ indigestion but whatever it is its literally driving me maddddd its so painful.reena hi again i burp a lot after a meal, i dont take any supplements as ive never been prescribed any, god my a** hurts, my chest and back hurt my legs are aching god if it were not so funny id be crying god im a 42 yr old woman inside a 92 yr old.lol. (raising fist to god saying "why me" ah well tommorows another day i can hope at least,lol.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
YOU CAN CURE THE ULCERS,ASK YOUR DOCTOR!

·
Registered
61 Posts
hi jools, i find taking tumms helps, or you could try a glass of milk? if you can drink milk(the milk should help with heartburn. i hope this helps in the meen time before you see your doc. :love:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all for the replies im going to see my doc on wed so ill hopefully get something, ive got this awful heartburn again tonight its really getting to be a real pain in the a**

·
Registered
116 Posts
All of the following supplements have gut soothing properties and support the body in rebuilding the mucous lining of the gut (inc. esophagus and stomach):1) DGL deglycerhinized licorice. My favorite brand is Enzymatic Therapy Choc-Mint flavor http://www.enzy.com/products/display.asp?id=286&cpmid=318 2) George's Aloe Vera Juice http://www.wholeapproach.com/product_guide/701.html 3) L-glutamine powder. 2g in water 3x/day http://www.affordablesupplements.com/glutamine_mrm.asp Hint: Alka Seltzer Gold or Baking Soda in water will immediately alleviate stomach acid --but this is a short term solution. If you constantly block your stomach acid, you will create a hospitable environment for pathogens in your gut. This leads to proliferation of bad bacteria and candida that produce lots of gas, bloating, discomfort, and abnormal stools.I agree with what Reena said above. One thing I have learned in my nutrition studies is that often those with severe heartburn actually have problems with low stomach acid. If this is the case, your stomach is not actually making stomach acid at appropriate times, leading to an inability to digest protein, breakdown minerals such as Calcium and Magnesium, and it eliminates your body�s main defense against incoming pathogens in your food. To make matters worse, most GPs and GI docs are unaware of the problems of low stomach acid and the fact that the symptoms mimic those of high stomach acid. They then prescribe acid blocking drugs that temporarily relieve the pain, but in the long term disrupt the body�s entire digestive function.For short-term relief from heartburn pain, I recommend doing Alka Seltzer Gold or Baking Soda. For long-term relief (to heal the underlying cause of the problem), seek the help of a naturopathic doctor or certified nutritionist who specializes in digestive disorders. The three supplements I recommended above will likely be the start of their protocol for you.~L

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.