Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new here to the boards. I am 28 years old and I have recently been diagnosed as having IBS. I am glad to find that I am not alone, although I would never wish this on anyone. For almost 3 years I thought I was going crazy because the Dr. just shrugged my symptoms off. I had a lower GI and they found nothing. My Dr. gave me Zelnorm and that seemed to just give me D right off the bat. This is how my symptoms started out, for 3 years and to this day my body can wait up till 7 days before having to go. But once it�s time my stomach starts to make these horrific noises and I feel like someone is wringing out my insides. It seems as if I can feel every movement of whatever is inside trying to make its way out. I break out in a cold sweat and become very nauseas. I feel like a bomb has just been dropped into my bottom. First its constipation and then after about 30 min. it turns to softer stool then on to D. and even liquid. My toosh gets extremely raw and bleeds. The pain is unbearable between the cramping and the rawness I feel like passing out. Then once the episode is over 3 to 4 hours I am worn out. I constantly have gas, and now my episodes are becoming more frequent. I have to stop working and go home at the first sign. It is affecting my sex life with my husband and I. I am never comfortable, I always feel bloated. I am getting to the point where I am almost afraid to eat. I am afraid to take the Zelnorm anymore because it causes more episodes. Any suggestions on how to at least feel or ease this discomfort? Anyone know the softest tissue out there also? I have tried the wet wipes and they burn!

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
I'm afraid of Zel. too,same side effect.You seems to feel like me,ibs type spastic.Find your type of ibs is going to help you but it is confusing because the nasty ibs change often.Why so much american here who suffers?More people who have access to internet or what?Why 80% of ibs sufferer are women?Stress or the pill who cause it?Eric,are you there?Is there any epidemics studies who can explain these questions?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
It may takes a while to realize it but what cause your ibs?Me it was anti-inflammatory drug and possibly wait too much to go urinated who have make my bowel weaksensitive.
You have to find a way to evoid or manage your stress on your body.

·
Registered
709 Posts
ims
sounds like you need to take a step back--take a look at what is really going on in your life...if your ibs is getting worse, perhaps you are eating a food that isn't agreeing with you or perhaps, as you said, you are under a lot of stress...dealing with stress can really help...i know a lot of people say they are going to work on their stress levels, but never actually do anything about it...maybe figure out (make a list or something) of the things (big and small) that are stressing you out the most...then, decide whether any of these are necessary to your life--can you eliminate them? just think about it a bit.
take care.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi there!I'm glad you found the board, but so very sorry you have to be here. Your episodes sound like mine did in the beginning of all of this.I have found that if I can prevent the C, I can normally ward off the D. If I stayed C too long it was like setting a bomb for the D. I've controlled this using Citrucel as a fiber supplement. I also use Bentyl to control the spasms and pain that i get during the attacks.Most importantly for me was using hypnotherapy and very basic biofeedback to get some control over the IBS. I know that my biggest triggers are stress and anxiety, and those two things led me to the hypno. There is a program often talked about on the board called "Mike's tapes" which is a program of hypnotherapy designed specifically for people with IBS. The program was easy to do and has been the best thing i've done for my IBS. It is not a cure, but it has given me back some control and I very, very rarely get the full-blown attacks that used to be so common. I also use the biofeedback techniques (that i learned using a $4 booklet and card) to help control the pain. I have used these two tools to prevent myself from going into a "distress free-fall" every time my stomach starts hurting -- What used to happen was the moment my stomach started to hurt I would let myself sit and think things like "oh no, not again" or "why is it happening now", and I would stress out and the attacks were intense and lasted for hours. The ability to prevent these types of thoughts and this reaction has given me back some control over these events and over the IBS itself. i still occasionally have attacks of D and I don't always understand what is triggering them, but now instead of three hours they last 15 minutes. This combination of fiber, anti-spasmodics and hypnotherapy has been my way of dealing with it all. I'm not cured and i'm not done trying to find ways to completely fix myself, but at least this way i'm able to function on a daily basis. I hope my rambling has helped you a bit and please let me know if you'd like more detail on anything. I hope you are feeling well today!-Kac

·
Registered
9,141 Posts

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Be sure to get diagnosticated with rome critera II.That's what Eric said and i read often about it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey My sympoms sound just like yours minus the bleeding. My doctor did not give me Zelnorm due to the "D" factor and that I have sone kidney problems.. However he did tell me that some people take a smaller doseage that they can tolerate..... Right now Im watching my diet carefully....using the guidelines from "Eating for IBS" and taking Citrucel and Digestive Advantage IBS. So far so good!!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi!The little biofeedback card came with this book "The Do-It-Yourself Stress Control Handbook" by Dr. Alfred A. Barrios. I got it on Amazon.com and it was only about $4, so I figured i didn't have much to lose on it!Mike's tapes are officially known as the IBS Audio Program 100...let me go and find the link to that....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Glad I could help!Oh and lms_28 I forgot to mention, you may want to try using the new flushable wipes but run them under water first. A kid i used to babysit was allergic to whatever it is that they put into wipes so we used to have to run them under water before using them. The same approach may work for you - good luck!kac

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.