Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,My bio condensed: I'm 25, ex-Army (4 years in, no combat), female with IUD birth control. I started having violent diarrhea in Feb of 2007 usually in the morning after first meal (this was in Army training school, so wake up at 4:30am, exercise, gulp down breakfast and back at the bay by 8am). What's worse is the MREs they give you during training/field work is supposed to stop you up for a few days, and these would cause the WORST pains and explosive diarrhea I would miss formations and get in trouble.Fast forward to September/October of 2007, I'm sent to my first duty station.I am diagnosed with GERD, asthma, peroneal palsy of left limb.Stomach issues seemed to be pretty standard... eat, 20-30 minutes later rush to the bathroom. Alternating diarrhea and constipation, some bloating and pain but nothing to write home about.Fast forward to this year, I'm out of the Army and dealing with the VA. Recently (last three months) I've been experiencing TERRIBLE bloating and pain, so much so that my pants don't fit when I'm having an episode. The pain begins in the lower left quandrant of the abdomen, and travels left to right to the right ilium. The first time this happened I forced my mother to drive me to the Seattle VA to get looked at at the ER, and they waved me away saying it was a UTI! (no ultrasound machine techs on the weekends, so basically all for nothing)I've been missing school, work, and am always in a irritable mood. I am terrified to eat anything, lest the pain come back. I've finally convinced my MD to do a blood test for celiac sprue, but I can't get into the gastro clinic until next month.I've done wheat-free, lactose-free, artificial dyes free diets and nothing seems to help.Other symptoms?Raised, hard but colorless bumps that start behind my ears and run over my jaw/cheeks/nose and down my neck. This got very bad once and little red itchy dots traveled all the way down to my waist. No diagnosis, but given a really thick cream (no medicine, just moisturizer)I feel full all the time, and lack that "I'm hungry" thing in my brain. I'll eat three or four bites of food, and even if it tastes good and I want more, I feel full. My weight hasn't changed too much (within 10 pounds of 130) so my doc says that it's OK that I don't eat that much/often. I've bloated so much sometimes that my 'fat' jeans (size 7) don't fit. I'm normally a 4/5 (29in waist 36in hip) but my stomach distends and I have to wear yoga pants. Any sort of constriction causes pain (seatbelts, waist bands, hugs)i have NO idea what this is, and I'm tired of it. I'm exhausted all the time, all I want to do is sleep. My brain doesn't react quickly, and I've nearly gotten into accidents on the street because I didn't stop fast enough.Help?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello all,My bio condensed: I'm 25, ex-Army (4 years in, no combat), female with IUD birth control. I started having violent diarrhea in Feb of 2007 usually in the morning after first meal (this was in Army training school, so wake up at 4:30am, exercise, gulp down breakfast and back at the bay by 8am). What's worse is the MREs they give you during training/field work is supposed to stop you up for a few days, and these would cause the WORST pains and explosive diarrhea I would miss formations and get in trouble.Fast forward to September/October of 2007, I'm sent to my first duty station.I am diagnosed with GERD, asthma, peroneal palsy of left limb.Stomach issues seemed to be pretty standard... eat, 20-30 minutes later rush to the bathroom. Alternating diarrhea and constipation, some bloating and pain but nothing to write home about.Fast forward to this year, I'm out of the Army and dealing with the VA. Recently (last three months) I've been experiencing TERRIBLE bloating and pain, so much so that my pants don't fit when I'm having an episode. The pain begins in the lower left quandrant of the abdomen, and travels left to right to the right ilium. The first time this happened I forced my mother to drive me to the Seattle VA to get looked at at the ER, and they waved me away saying it was a UTI! (no ultrasound machine techs on the weekends, so basically all for nothing)I've been missing school, work, and am always in a irritable mood. I am terrified to eat anything, lest the pain come back. I've finally convinced my MD to do a blood test for celiac sprue, but I can't get into the gastro clinic until next month.I've done wheat-free, lactose-free, artificial dyes free diets and nothing seems to help.Other symptoms?Raised, hard but colorless bumps that start behind my ears and run over my jaw/cheeks/nose and down my neck. This got very bad once and little red itchy dots traveled all the way down to my waist. No diagnosis, but given a really thick cream (no medicine, just moisturizer)I feel full all the time, and lack that "I'm hungry" thing in my brain. I'll eat three or four bites of food, and even if it tastes good and I want more, I feel full. My weight hasn't changed too much (within 10 pounds of 130) so my doc says that it's OK that I don't eat that much/often. I've bloated so much sometimes that my 'fat' jeans (size 7) don't fit. I'm normally a 4/5 (29in waist 36in hip) but my stomach distends and I have to wear yoga pants. Any sort of constriction causes pain (seatbelts, waist bands, hugs)i have NO idea what this is, and I'm tired of it. I'm exhausted all the time, all I want to do is sleep. My brain doesn't react quickly, and I've nearly gotten into accidents on the street because I didn't stop fast enough.Help?
Have you looked into Habba Syndrome? It is something like a dysfunctional gallbladder - your gallbladder empties too much bile when you're digesting, which sends things right through you and causes all sorts of cramps and diarrhea soon after eating. The treatment is pretty simple, they give you a bile binder to take with meals that'll bind up the excess bile and return you to balance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you looked into Habba Syndrome? It is something like a dysfunctional gallbladder - your gallbladder empties too much bile when you're digesting, which sends things right through you and causes all sorts of cramps and diarrhea soon after eating. The treatment is pretty simple, they give you a bile binder to take with meals that'll bind up the excess bile and return you to balance.
I've never heard of it! Then again, I just learned about MALS last week. Saw it on King5 news...I'll look into it. At this point I'll believe it's demons playing hackysack as long as they can treat it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.