Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I introduced myself in Young Adults, and I think I will introduce myself here too. I'm 19 years old, married, living on our own in Van Buren, Arkansas. About a month ago, I started having stomach pains with on/off C & D. Went to the E.R. (No Primary Physician, No Insurance). They did a Normal X-Ray and said I was constipated, told me to take some Milk of Magnesium. I did, and also tried my best to eat healthy immediately after. I actually felt better for about a week, and then the stomach pains came back, again with on/off C & D. My stomach is always making a ton of noise as well. So I Went BACK to the E.R., they did Blood Work, Urin Sample, and ANOTHER Normal X-Ray. They said once again that I was constipated but this time prescribed me to take Magnesium Citrate and Hyociamine for pain whenever needed. Today, at 3:00 PM, I drank the Magnesium Citrate, didn't stop running to the restroom until about 12:30 - 1:00 A.M. (Is that normal?). Now, about an hour ago, I ate a very tiny amount of salad, I havn't ate much in 2 days because I am afraid to eat. My stomach right now (1:23 A.M.) is making noises, my bottom is very tender, and I still have a slight amount of pain in my stomach and I still feel like I need to use the restroom a little bit, is this normal? Is there anything I can do to feel better? I was also told to take ColAce daily to help regularlize things. Does this sound like a good way to be going? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi Clegg
Welcome to the boards. I'm not sure on a lot of the stuff you've been taking, I usually suffer from D anyway. As far as diet goes if you've had a major D bout try and stick with really bland foods like toast and pasta (easy on any sauce you put on it). For the ahem, bottom, try popping some vaseline (petroleum jelly) on it every time you go and it helps create a barrier to help with the stinging and burning. It sounds like IBS but you need to have all the tests done to confirm it for sure. Also if you google Rome II guidelines for IBS that will tell you what a doctor will be looking for. The noise is a bummer but I have yet to find anything that actually helps a lot. Buscopan (an antispasmodic) you can get over the counter at the chemist helps some and I take charcoal when things are really bad but it's not so great for people with C. If you've had this reaction to the mag. citrate though I wouldn't be game enough to take any more of it. And you should probably have a check up and let your doctor or someone at the hospital know what happened. Hope I've helped at least a little. Plenty more people will be along soon who I'm sure will have more advice. Good luck

·
Registered
254 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Clegg0530:They said once again that I was constipated but this time prescribed me to take Magnesium Citrate and Hyociamine for pain whenever needed. Today, at 3:00 PM, I drank the Magnesium Citrate, didn't stop running to the restroom until about 12:30 - 1:00 A.M. (Is that normal?).
Magnesium is good for getting things to flow so if you've been having alternating C&D, it's easy to see why you might spend some time in the loo with the liquid form. I have a daughter that was constipated this past year (we thought it was something more serious) and we took her to the ER. Nothing like a $600 visit to find out you're constipated. They had her consume some magnesium citrate liquid too. She spent awhile close to the loo. I have C as an ongoing problem so I'm taking 400mg of magnesium (pill form) a day which keeps me regular. Walmart carries them for around $3-$4 for 90 or 120 tables (can't remember which).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey All, Thanks for the replies and welcoming me to the boards! It's funny though, because after taking Magnesium Citrate and being on the pot ALL yesterday, this morning I feel like I have to use the bathroom once again, and I have gas, and my stomach is rumbling. I will begin taking Colace (Stool Softener) today to try to even things out, is this good to take? I'm going to try and re-adjust my diet and start the day off with a Banana or two, since I hear they are very good with IBS, and I love them.I am kind of Confused about this Hyoscamine stuff they have me one, from browsing around the boards, it says it can cause Constipation, well, how come it was given to me? I'm sure it will help with the cramps and all, but won't it make my C condition even more serious?I am also unemployed, bills are coming in quickly, and I am having trouble finding a job, now with this thrown in, Im even more worried, any stress relief tips? I am also have some trouble Urinating the morning after... Is it because the Magnesium Citrate has dried me up basically? Alright everyone! Have a good day! Good Luck!

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
yip i find that bananas are ok with me but sometimes i do get the odd bit of heartburn with them, but like you i love them.Someone actually told me that bananas are quite fattening, i dont know if thats correct or not..Like you im also unemployed and money can be a bit tight (im a carer to my partner who has MS) but i like to think im more fortunate than others and count myself lucky, but i know what you mean about bills coming in...

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
ps: i find that if im stressed out i go and lie on top of the bed (a whole chicken,a keg of beer, plus a few tubs of ice-cream)
(im kidding) no honestly i like to listen to some music, not headbanging stuff, and just relax, i normally doze off.That really does work for me..

·
Registered
59 Posts
I suggest finding a good doctor who can keep track of your symptoms, order the necessary tests and perhaps put you on some IBS-specific meds. Also try natural enzymes with your food, to aid in the digestivve process.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Just make sure if you have had a major D or C attack to drink plenty of fluids. Both conditions will dry you up and dehydrate you which could be why you don't need to pee in the mornings. As far as stress goes I have yet to find a solution although I am thinking about trying an anti anxiety med soon (currently on an anti dep which is doing nothing for the anxiety and stress). I hear you on the have no money front. I have none either!One thing on banana's is that they can be constipating so go easy on them.GOod luck

·
Registered
114 Posts
Clegg - I am fairly new to this board myself, but wish you a hearty welcome. The one thing you will find out here is that we are an odd lot of IBSers with various symptoms and opinions.Your stress level because of lack of finances can be a very definite cause for some of your problems. But still you should get some tests done as to whether or not you actually have IBS in one of its varied forms. Beware, though, that much of the medical society have not made up its mind as to whether or not IBS is a debilitating decease – although most of us would differ with that opinion. It is my belief that most doctors shrug us off because they have no cure to offer.So here we are – help to self-help. We have to learn what triggers our woes and try to steer clear of those things.As for bananas. Personally they don’t bother me one way or the other and I eat at least ½ every morning with some cereal and milk (make sure that you do not have a lactose intolerance). Somebody else on the board mentioned that they are fattening. That is only true to a point. Yes, they are very high in calories, but because of their large amount of potassium that helps burning calories, I wouldn’t worry about that.I wish you all the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The doc told me I may be developing a Lactose Intolerance. I had a HORRIBLE diet.. Everything i ate had something to do with cheese. I will start talking Colace tomorrow (1-2 pills a day), and I am starting a new diet based on foods high in fiber and some foods listed on sites that said they were good for IBS. Bananas, Chicken, White Rice, Flour Tortillas, Whole Grain Bread, and I may look into some Soy Products as well. Thanks for your help.. Also, my wife and I had an idea...Is it still okay if she cooks the chicken in the skillet? If not, what about baking it? Our idea was for dinner tomorrow to make some white rice, chicken, and then mix in some vegetables or beans, and roll it up in a flour tortilla. Does this sound good? And good for IBS as well?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Until you know more about what sets off your symptoms, I recommend baking or roasting the chicken. When you mention "skillet" I imagine that you mean "fried chicken".Hope you'll soon be better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.