Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a 23 yr old female, I have had I.B.S for almost 3 yrs now, its diarrhea dominant and I feel like there is no sense in living. Sorry, just how I feel, its ruining my life.My Doc is no help, my mother thinks its all in my head, dad, my sister and my boyfriend, who I have lived with for almost 4 yrs, try to understand but don't.So I have two questions actually, #1 I seem to live on Imodium, I did read that it is okay to use but I have to use it so much that it really doesn't work anymore unless I take 4 extra strength tabs. It really scares me, because I wonder if I am doing my guts more harm than good but in order to live my life I have to. I have tried eating differently, it doesn't really help unless I eat almost nothing, then my stomach doesn't act up. Any one know of anything I could take instead of Imodium?#2 This really affects my working life, I haven't had a job for a long time now but have to get a job because my boyfriend will support me but if I want to keep my horses I have to get a job so I can support them. What I want to know is: is I.B.S classed as a disability? To me it is. It affects me mainly in the morning, and yeah, I think you guys understand what I am trying to say! Any help is greatly appreciated!!! :love:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dear Hurt,You are right it does hurt like ****
I have applied for disability for two reasons: 1. is because I have bi=polar II and 2. for IBS. It took me 2 denials and finally getting an attorney so that I could have better representation and help for a hearing with a judge. I applied in Jan. 2003, and just now had my hearing on March 24. My lawyer and the judge both said it would take at least a month for me to have an answer. I froze during the hearing and feel like I didn't answer the questions clearly
My lawyer asked me to have a couple of friends and family write a letter to the judge corroborating (sp) my story. I have two friends that just faxed their letters over.I can tell you that you usually are not allowed to work from the time you file. If you've been working and have enough social securiy points, its probably going to be easier to get. I have worked 5 years from '87 to '92, from there I've only worked part-time, from babysitting in my home, to passing out samples at the grocery store, weaving baskets from home, and cleaning our small church bldg. Even though I claimed all of the above, I didn't accrue enough points to be eligible for social security (I think its ssi) so that was my first denial. I had to reapply for social security disability, which is really what has taken so long.If I'm wrong some-one on the board will correct me.
Keep me posted okay.
Summer

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
can't help you with the disability but sounds like summer did.there are things to look into for IBS D. look into calcium - beleive it or not, a lot of epople have gotten relief with simply taking calcium supplements daily. and being a woman with a poor diet (I'm guessing - comon for IBSers), you probably need it anyway. also, you could talk to your doctor about lotronex - it;s an IBS drug for D. do research on it first though so you are aware of all the issues with it - it was pulled for a while since if prescribed wrong, it can cause serious problems (if you have cosntipation at all, it's not for you from what I understand). also, lkeep reading around this board for other things to help.mostly, don't give up. many, many people have found a way to deal with IBS thru this board and/or working with their docs. I know I have - I use calcium some although too much is no good for me since I alternate D and C. But the biggest help for me was hypnotherapy. it's made a drastic change in my IBS which I've been dealing with for over 20 years.good lucknancy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Summerwind with the help on the Disability, and nmwinter with the suggestion. I will look into that drug and may see if my doc will let me try it, and try the calcium, I'll buy some today.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Also, try asking your doctor if an anti-depressant might be in order. Be careful to ask for one that is easy to come off though. I started getting severe IBS-D symptoms about four years or so ago and the best quick results I got was from an anti-depressant. Remember that the more you stress the worse your symptoms will become. You can get into a nasty feedback cycle that way. As nmwinter says hypnotherapy can really help with this! Find a registered hypnotherapist who has IBS knowledge and try it. If you are too sick to make it to a "live" appointment get yourself the IBSaudio100 program by Michael Mahoney on CD.Good luck and hang in there. It can be controlled if not cured. Try the hypnotherapy...and stick with it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh, and GET A NEW DOCTOR!!! You don't have to put up with the stress of a useless GP too. And tell your Mum if she wants to tell ME it's all in my head...well let's just say it wouldn't be a pretty conversation. Grrrr.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dont know about disability but if you read the BBS here you will probaby learn more than your doc will ever know about solutions to IBS. Id also suggest diet "Eating for IBS" is a good book to start with. Jobs can be tough with this condition but maybe you can teach riding (Im a fellow horse nut too) or do barn work. Neither is overly stressful and you dont have people surrounding you all the time.In other words YOU can conrol your environment.Unlike being a cashier or salesperson with people in a hurry or complaining. Good Luck and welcome and happy trails! MT

·
Registered
10 Posts
To hurts like:I have been dealing with this since 19, I am now 42. Look at your diet, start cutting out trigger foods. And there are trigger foods. Try to cut out dairy, your villi in your intestines are blunted and cannout deal with the lactic acid in dairy. Heavy meats such as beef and certain fish and pork are also trigger foods. Chicken and turkey are good sources of protein. Watch out for beans and veggies such as broccli and cauliflower (gas producers). Moderate your intake, do not eat big meals, smaller meals give your gut time to digest. Keep your stress level down, this is a big trigger. Dont sweat the small stuff. You can eat out in resturants, just ask them to do something different with meals. If you drink coffee,tea or soda, adjust your intake, the caffine is a trigger. It is not in your head. I work at a veterinary speciality clinic and we to GDE scoping and identify IBD in animals, their intestines look like a meat grinder went through them, i am sure that is what ours must look like. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.