Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya. Welcome to my first post on this board. n.nMy names' Kate and I have been diagnosed with IBS since last september, tho had it since around August. My doctor has diagnosed me with a "spastic colon" and prescribed me with Colofac MR (mebeverine) twice a day and it hasn't really helped. I am..I think you say it as IBS-D and have to go to the toilet twice to up to six times a day. Sometimes I have good days and sometimes I have bad days. Today is a bad day. I've started researching on the net, and it is quite depressing reading "there is no cure for IBS" over and over again...can you guys help? I have only just turned 17 and am a little lost...Since colofac didn't work, are there any herbal/alternative rememdies? I hear Chinese medicine helps? (any recommendations?)I don't know if this is a factor, but I have an underactive Thyroid gland and take 75mcg of Thyroxine each day. I think I am slightly lactose intolerant but my colofac are themselves made with lactose. Is this something which would be triggering my IBS or is it something I'm just worrying about? Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place or something, I'm just looking for a little help and reasurrance!Thankyou for reading this.Kate

·
Registered
482 Posts
u maybe be sensitive to milk thus it triggers your ibs... then again some meds help or make you worse. dont give up yet its a new thing for you, there are many NHS supplied meds for us even in britain lol. i use loperamide they suit me best there maybe something else that suits you best.keep a food and drink diary to work out your tiggers and dont goto chinese until you know them... or youll be paying alot and they may give you high doses of triggers in the teas they will make up.D could also be caused by your thyroid problem it may settled when that med is sorted as doses can be altered with it and such
there is no magic pill for us but we get through with diet changes and meds
we survive and we can live fairly normal

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
You have post at "the rigth place".No doubt about it.
You can read many post here and you should take a look above the screen and litterally click on everything up there.

·
Registered
686 Posts
mebeverine didnt help me at all so i stopped taking it, however i feel buscopan is making a bit of a difference and certainly helps a wee bit to combat the spasms although not keep them away.also i came off dairy products milk, yoghurts etc which i love i now take soya milk which is quite tasty. good luck kate

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for the advice, I will definitely try them all out. It warms the heart to know this board is such a reassurring place! *hug to all*

·
Registered
455 Posts
KayteeAlong with buscopan when required I have in the past used Bioforce Tormentil Complex (from Holland and Barratt and other health food stores).Small bottle a little expensive but lasts ages as you just put 20 or so drops in water.We on here cannot seem to stress enough the usefulness of a food diary. Do this for a few months and you may find your triggers. It worked for me.Hope you find lots of help on here.

G

·
Hello KayteeAnother web site for you - www....com - these two sites I have discovered in the last few months and there is a wonderful amount of advice. I have been suffering for 30 years but am quite encouraged by a lot of the people who post on these sites.I take a soluble fiber supplement which I get from ...com and have also recently started to take calcium tablets. There are a lot of posts regarding that.Happy surfingJudithCoventry, UK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts