Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some trouble with my stomach for sometime now. Years really. I have seen doctors, and have had some tests done, but I tend to get very discouraged when they make me feel silly. But recently the pain has been coming back, worse. But my point in joining this bb is that I would like for someone to tell me if the symptoms I have could be related to IBS. I will go to a doctor again if it leads me that way, but I don't have insurance and want to make sure I'm not just making things up. The number one pain I have is in my upper stomach (where your ribs come together) in that opening. It doubles me over at times. I have symptoms that go along with IBS, but I don't want to come to any conclusions yet. I've had a colonoscopy, and an ulcer blood test. Also a test to check my gall bladder. But all of those were negative. The doctor wanted to do an endoscopy, but I am hesitant. Can anyone help with the limited amount of info I've given. I don't want to babble on.Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board!I have had IBS for a very long time, and it sounds to me like your pain is too high. My pains are in my lower abs... like labor pains or really bad menstrual cramps. I am still learning about all this, so I can not say you do not have IBS. There are a lot of extremely knowledgable people on this board and hopefully you will get more insight frrom them. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Endoscopy could be beneficial. Make sure you ask them to look around for the H. Pylori bacteria. Them buggers used to give me some gut-wrenching pain! The blood test doesn't always pick it up. Have you had your pancreas checked out? Most IBS pain is lower, in the intestines. I have IBS and GERD, and it's the GERD that gets me up high. After I was treated for the H Pylori the pains became significantly less severe.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome to the board. That number one pain you listed sounds like one I had that sent me to the hospital and out da gallbladder came within 3 hours. I feel your pain if that's what that is.I'd definitely have the tests done - and don't let a doctor make you feel silly. Life is too short to waste on a doctor who is condescending - fire him and get a second opinion. If you think it's you making yourself feel silly then stop it. Our conditions are real, they are validated by doctors and we all share so many of the same symptoms. I met with a new GI doc for my first visit since '98 and expresed my concerns of humiliation and such. He told me that there is no such thing as a stupid question and that you learn by seeking information.I hope you feel better soon......Laurie

·
Registered
897 Posts
I used to have that pain right where the top points of your ribs come together and then sometimes it would go to my back like a high backache. Since I was only in my early 40s and female I really didn't think anything serious but often had discomfort. Finally had it diagnosed--FOR ME--at the age of 50 as bad heartburn/GERD. I now take Pepcid Complete whenever it strikes, and also do so beforehand if I'm going to eat any foods high in citric acid, I've noticed it most with processed/canned tomatoes (like you'd find in pizza and pasta dishes as well as most tomato sauce/juice/paste) as well as any large quantities of citrus juice...especially orange. That problem, at least, has pretty much gone away. You might want to try soemthing like that, unless you are in some risk group you haven't mentioned. It's an inexpensive, OTC remedy, and if it works you might not have to go through more tests. Just a thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.