Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw the surgeon yesterday. He gave me the choice about having my gallbladder removed. I haven't felt the same ever since my first attack three weeks ago, so I decided to say yes. I do have multiple stones. We scheduled it for Oct. 16th. This guy does 150 gallbladder surgeries a year!He (and other doctors) couldn't answer one question I keep asking. Why is it when I am in a sitting position it feels like there is something hard in the area under my ribcage? I describe it as a golf ball sitting under my skin just under the ribcage. You can't feel anything there when you press there. I keep wondering if it is the stones irritating the gallbladder and when I scrunch my belly by sitting I can feel it. But I feel it ALL the time. Does anybody know what I am talking about?He gave me this booklet that explains in detail about the laparoscopic surgery. Four neat little cuts and some great staples that are a permanent addition. Wonder if I will set the alarms off at the airport?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't worry. Should be a piece of cake. I just hope your 4 litle cuts healed as well as mine did. Just look like tiny cat scratches. As for the ribcage pain, I sure hope it goes away after for you. Personally, mine didn't start until AFTER I had the GB removed. Might just be something you have to live with. I thought for a long time maybe they cracked a couple of ribs, but nope. Still there. Try a heating pad on that area if it gets real bad. Works for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New,Awesome! If it just weren't so RED!
There's those staples (clips) everybody is talking about.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Those clips are put on to prevent any stones from going places they are not supposed too. They remove them once it us cut out. Pretty nasty huh. I love that site though, anything you ever wanted to know and see about surgery. The site address is www.yoursurgery.com - minus all the other stuff I gave you in the last link.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck with your surgery. I had mine out 7 weeks ago. It took awhile to feel better. Now I am getting back to my old self after a year. I hope it makes you feel better. Dont over do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi JoanieMama,You know that surgery is really a simple one in addition looks like your surgeon is quite experienced in it. Those metal clips are very tiny they are suppose to seal the ducts at the base of the gallbladder and they stay there for ever, my surgeon told me that they should not prevent you from having MRI tests or going through metal detectors
The pain you are describing I am not familier with in my case I had some swelling well actually that was because the gallbladder was enlarged and fully packed with stones.Anyhow pretty soon you will be free of this pain, Good luck with your surgery. ------------------AJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi JoanieMama, glad you are feeling good about having it removed. I know it can be a tough decision. I am 4 weeks post-op and doing great. I feel better and better health-wise everyday. The cuts do look like little cat scratches now. There were a couple of things that each of us did that was helpful and easier. Maybe we can fill you in on those when it gets closer.Take it easy till then, yo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read about some of those things you guys posted. Something about taking acidophilus and ....I can't remember the rest. I was real curious about what you guys were going through because I had a strange feeling I would become a member of your elite club.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JoanieMama,Good luck to you! I had my gallbladder removed and the surgery recovery period was wonderful. I have three scars going diagnally on the right side and one scar laterally on the side of my belly button. I stayed 2 weeks out of work. The only thing that bothered me was that I couldn't lay down flat for about a month because I felt like it would pull to much. The pain under your rib cage, I would feel the same thing only when I would lay down on my right side, then I would feel it! My attack came all of a sudden while I was at work and almost ended up on the floor because of so much pain! I was taken to the hospital and was admitted and had my surgery 2 days later!Keep us posted on your recovery!Brandi

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi JoanieMama,Glad to hear all went well with the surgeon but sorry to hear you are heading for surgery. You will feel better after it is out. My surgeon gave me choices too and I am glad I decided to have it removed.Please do a search on gallbladders. There is some great information on these. Acidolphus (I think anyway) is very important. With my surgery they gave me a huge bag of antibotics and I would think that other hospitals would practise this. Antibotics can cause a person lots of problems. I believe my IBS symptons started after a round of antibotics for a UTI a little over a year ago and I have read posts from others about this (see unfatigued).Vitamin C will help you heal. Drink lots of water. Increase your fibre. Walk lots after the surgery. Start slowly introducing foods back into your system. By a week and a half you will feel great but if you work take two weeks off.Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.Regards,Jo-Anne

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Joannie - the surgery is no big deal. I think mine was less than an hour (according to my husband). My incisions are barely detectable but that's still no reason for me to wear a bikini
The only problem (besides the resulting IBS) was getting out of bed or out of a chair. The pulling feeling is terrible, like you're going to spill your guts or something. My first day home, I took a nap and then was like a beetle on its back trying to flay my way out of the bed. That passes after a week. Good luck![This message has been edited by Marier (edited 10-02-2000).]

·
Registered
278 Posts
JMHi! I hope your surgery is a success (I'm sure it will be!) Keep your normal positive attitude and you'll be back on your feet in no time! Who knows? Maybe after this you'll be totally well and will never have to deal with ibs again even! I know, it's a long shot, but hey you can dream!!s n t

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had my gallbladder removed in Feb. of this year. I feel wonderful now. I had what felt like "gallbladder attacks" until July of this year, even though it was gone, strang
Any how, I am glad that I had it removed.Hope the best for youHeather

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for your support and comments. I will definately check into the vitamin C, etc. that you recommend. cranberry, I am so sorry that you still had attacks even after surgery. How very strange.I have never had any surgery of any kind - the only part that scares me is being put to sleep. And to make things worse, my husband changed jobs and took a cut in pay (on purpose - it is a start-up company) and I really should be working now as money is tight. I just got our youngest off to college and was looking forward to getting a job. Can't decide if I should continue to look or just wait until the surgery is over.:confused(Why won't the confused smilie work?)[This message has been edited by JoanieMama (edited 10-02-2000).]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi again,I can understand your fear of being put to sleep. It can be scary but they will look after you very well. You will just drift. Close your eyes and go with it, don't try and fight it. Think nice, soothing and relaxing thoughts.I have had three surgery's. Two c-sections and this gallbladder. Like others say, you will find it difficult and weird trying to get up but just take it slow, don't rush. I have found that applying pressure to your stomach with a pillow while getting up helps. I learned this after my first c-section and used it with the gallbladder, works great! As for looking for a job...there should be no reason you won't be able to get back at that a few weeks after your surgery. This type of operation is a quick recovery and gets you back on your feet. You still will be tired but each day that passes you will feel better. It still is a six week recovery so do take it a bit easy. I was back to work in two weeks and I am a wimp.Good luck, keep us posted.Jo-Anne

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Ya'all, I am glad to hear others who struggled with getting up or out of bed afterwards. That feeling of tugging and pulling is weird. I did feel like something was flip-flopping around in there!!! I slept on the couch for at least two weeks because laying flat was uncomfortable and to get out of bed, ugh!!! I slept with the large couch pillow behind me in a very semi-reclined position. Then there are others who have no problem.One word of caution, although I don't think others are as stubborn or lack common sense, as I. At my one-week post op with surgeon, he said I could go back to normal routine. I asked him about my aerobics and step classes; he said wait another week. I waited about another week and a half and went back, starting out light at first.Well, I never got over that tuggy, pulley,and pain feeling inside. I just thought it would go away, but sometimes was so uncomfortable, it felt like I messed something up.Went to regular doc for follow-up today, she was surprised at everything I was doing and said surgeon should never have told me that. After any surgery, should wait at least 6 weeks to go back to what I was doing.Going back to work and regular stuff does happen at around 2 weeks, but I went beyond that!!!So, she has me off everything to let body regroup from surgery and stuff I was doing. I should have known better but, as I said, when it comes to my exercises and activity, my brain goes out the window. Plus, I took the surgeon's word for it that it was okay, even though it was with a lot of discomfort.JoanieMama, did you read that we mentioned wearing loose clothing, like a sundress or something? It's a lot more comfortable not to have clothing with a waistband. I like it when they put me to sleep. It happens so fast, don't even have time to think about it. Ask them about giving you something to relax before if you feel too nervous. They gave me something while I was waiting for surgery and it sure makes things a lot easier.Yolanda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi there,Don't worry about the anaesthesia, I remember they ask me to count, and the doctor was telling me I 'll bet you, you will only count to 17 so I counted to 37!!!
I guess my focus was to win the bet that is a good distraction which eased my fear. Next thing you will be awake and it is all over trust me.Next day after surgery you should start to drink lots of water and take fiber and acidophilos and walk a lot I walked about 3 times a day for 1/2 an hour each.I went back to my regular routine and carried groceries... after 2 weeks, however you will be your best judge on that.Good luck, hope the best for you, keep us posted.------------------AJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.