Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM TIRED OF STARVING MYSELF! OH WAIT I SAID THAT 5 WEEKS AGO AND NOW IVE JUST BEEN BINGING BECAUSE IM LIKE OH WELL IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT I EAT IM GONNA BLOAT ANYWAYS AND BE UNCOMFORTABLE 24 7 and wanna die and look 45 months pregnant at all times. i can't even explain to my doctors what my ###### is like because i dont know. i dont know what a normal ###### is. i've isolated myself for a year from everyone i know. everyone has forgotton about me. im 21 years old. i should be having the time of my life. but no. i really want to die. there's no cure. i have seen every doctor and tried every diet.. if i hear "increase your fiber" or "drink more water" i sware i'm gonna loose it. not that i haven't already used it. i'm thinking about taking up on heroin b/c that seemed to be the only thing that solved kurt cobain's stomach problems. somebody $$$$$$ing put me out of my misery now please.

·
Registered
76 Posts
~i'm thinking about taking up on heroin b/c that seemed to be the only thing that solved kurt cobain's stomach problems.
Yep, it 'solved' his GI issues -permanently. The catch is that he's not around to enjoy being symptom free.Helluva side effect, eh?Keep fighting to find a balance with your symptoms and to improve your quality of life. Don't disengage...continue working with your doctor(s) and yourself. The alternative of giving up, the isolation, depression, and decreasing health is much worse than the struggle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last night was the end of a really bad binge i went on out of frusteration. I'm starting over today. I'm going on a fried egg rice fast for a week to calm my symtoms down.scrambled eggs, brown basmati rice, baby spinach leaves, and olive oil. that's about all my body can tolerate. it's my safety diet, so i just mixed it all together.i'll update on thursday to see if the bloating went down.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can really relate to the utter frustration, rage, and despair. Its unfair. We didn't ask for this, we didn't cause this, we didn't choose this. But we have no rational choice except to shoulder the burden, to do the best we can with the hand we're dealt.You aren't weak for having such thoughts on occasion, or if it is a weakness then I'm just as guilty as you. I've been in a similar emotional state more than once, and no doubt I'll be there again. This is not an easy life we have. So go on and howl at the moon when you must (feels darn good sometimes!), then get back to doing the best you can for yourself.And Ha! -sounds a bit like my 'safety blanket' diet. Eggs, juice, pumpernickel bread, maybe a snip of aged cheese, soft veggies. I also find that I tolerate brown rice much better than white. In any case, my best wishes to you that you stabilize and find some relief -soon.

G

·
IM TIRED OF STARVING MYSELF! OH WAIT I SAID THAT 5 WEEKS AGO AND NOW IVE JUST BEEN BINGING BECAUSE IM LIKE OH WELL IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT I EAT IM GONNA BLOAT ANYWAYS AND BE UNCOMFORTABLE 24 7 and wanna die and look 45 months pregnant at all times. i can't even explain to my doctors what my ###### is like because i dont know. i dont know what a normal ###### is. i've isolated myself for a year from everyone i know. everyone has forgotton about me. im 21 years old. i should be having the time of my life. but no. i really want to die. there's no cure. i have seen every doctor and tried every diet.. if i hear "increase your fiber" or "drink more water" i sware i'm gonna loose it. not that i haven't already used it. i'm thinking about taking up on heroin b/c that seemed to be the only thing that solved kurt cobain's stomach problems. somebody $$$$$$ing put me out of my misery now please.
Oh I can feel your pain. In fact I am feeling it right now...and every day. I bloat until I look pregnant EVERY time I eat or drink ANYTHING. And of course, the doctors look at me like I'm an idiot and tell me to eat fiber, drink water, exercise, and that I must just have more air in me than "normal people". I know there is something mechanically wrong because I have had this problem for 5 years, except for the 1 year of pure bliss when I was taking Zelnorm, before they took it off the market. I am 24 and a senior in an all-girls college. I went from being a happy carefree girl with tons of friends, to a girl who avoids everyone, has no friends, and spends the majority of my time in my room with a heating pad on my stomach. Some days I feel like I could just die, some days I cry for hours, from sadness or from anger. It is so hard because no one seems to understand or relate to it. It is hard to have a social life because pretty much every social activity revolves around food. I know what it is like to feel like everyone has moved on and forgotten about you, but someone once said on here that even though there isn't a cure or a fix right now - that this isn't the end, it is just a transition phase. It is our own difficult life challenge and if we can make it through until we find a solution, think about how much more we will enjoy life when we start feeling better. I hope and pray that eventually they will have a drug or a treatment for this, and that is the only thing that gets me through those days when I feel like I can hardly even put one foot in front of the other. Just know that when you have those dark horrible days, you aren't alone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, I feel for the frustration going on here... I am at the same point and my dr just tells me that I have gas and constipation. I have tried everything. Nothing has worked. I feel like I look pregnant, and I'm a dude! ANY kind of pressure on my stomach is VERY painful. I have always had pain there, but lately it has been really bad.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Scarlett Just like one's perception about one's body can be skewed with an eating disorder.. one's perception might be skewed with one's belly being bloated.Also...the more you focus on feeling bloated...(or any other symptom of IBS or other disorders) the more it will bother you. Try moving your focus off of your gut and stomach all the time. Involve yourself in something else that requires your attention.And mention this problem of focusing on the bloating to your other Drs.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
some days am not bloated and other days am
Try real hard then to be grateful for those days that you don't feel bloated. Focus on those & a Gratitude attitude can help.Try not to expect IBS to make sense... CHANGE that expectation. Expect NOT to make any sense. It has baffled some of the best minds on the planet... so...I doubt you or I will EVER figure it out. I learned that I simply do much better when I stop trying to make sense of it and I stopped expecting it not to be there everyday. It is chronic so that means for many us... it is an everyday thing. I focused instead on simply trying to manage my symptoms.I hope you feel better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I mean, to the damned t! I don't know what to do and neither do my doctors...but the one thing I can't afford to do is to give up...so, at some point I have to find some sort of solution before it's too late...I don't have much weight to spare and I'm losing that too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
just a quick reply - for those who are really bloated - do you take Metamucil - because that product will bloat you. I have read that if you take soluble fiber to use Citrocel instead. I noticed last night, after taking the Metamucil - wow my stomach was huge. The bloat did go down in the morning but I also do take a probiotic, Daily Advantage, which seems to combat the bloat from the Metamucil. Once I finish this product, I am going to make the switch and see if there really is a difference.

·
Registered
626 Posts
There really is a difference... I went through all this last summer when my GI doc started me on fiber. I grabbed Metamucil without thinking, just because it was the most prominent brand of fiber on the market. A week later I was calling my doc in a frantic because I thought my IBS was getting that much worse (I couldn't even eat because my abdomen was so distended). He told me to take 24 hours off, then switch to Citrucel. I noticed a difference immediately... I had the benefit of the fiber without the added bloat. My doc says that's really common with Metamucil, for some reason.

G

·
just a quick reply - for those who are really bloated - do you take Metamucil - because that product will bloat you. I have read that if you take soluble fiber to use Citrocel instead. I noticed last night, after taking the Metamucil - wow my stomach was huge. The bloat did go down in the morning but I also do take a probiotic, Daily Advantage, which seems to combat the bloat from the Metamucil. Once I finish this product, I am going to make the switch and see if there really is a difference.
I have taken psyllium husks (Yerba Prima from the health food store) for years and it truly DOES help me with keeping my bowels easier to stay formed and pass easier. I have never had trouble with bloating. I think this can vary person to person. I only take 1 heaping teaspoon per day... far less than what is recommended. Maybe this makes the difference!

·
Registered
94 Posts
There really is a difference... I went through all this last summer when my GI doc started me on fiber. I grabbed Metamucil without thinking, just because it was the most prominent brand of fiber on the market. A week later I was calling my doc in a frantic because I thought my IBS was getting that much worse (I couldn't even eat because my abdomen was so distended). He told me to take 24 hours off, then switch to Citrucel. I noticed a difference immediately... I had the benefit of the fiber without the added bloat. My doc says that's really common with Metamucil, for some reason.
You are right! There is a difference - glad I switched

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dietician suggested Fennel tea for bloating and gas, Im going to try that perhaps you could give it a try
Fennel tea hasn't worked for me--nothing has--although I like it. There is no rhyme or reason as to what foods cause it and and when I'm going to get hit the worst. I always have bloating and gas, although most mornings I'm okay until the second morning meal (I eat 4-5 small meals everyday) unless I'm already into a bad spell. Right now I'm about to pull out a bottle of charcoal and spray my Ecco Mist orange spray in my office (I'm at work) because the gas has gotten so bad that it slips out on it's own. The odor is so foul that I've bought Gas-B-Gone cushions to sit on to catch the ones that I can't control. Unfortunately, I can't take the cushions with me into a staff meeting and have to sit with my butt squeezed so tight that I think I'm going to blow off the chair like a overblown balloon when someone lets the air out. Right now the feeling to have a movement is so painful, but it's one of at least 6 so far today where I'll go into the restroom only to evacuate a few little pieces and lots of gas. I started off feeling pretty well this morning--I though I was going to have a better afternoon. I have started to use Smooth Move senna tea for a laxative--which I need every 3 days or so to get cleaned out--and it's a good laxative--not too rough or many side effects. I've also started taking MegaFlora, but not much to report on that so far except my fatique level has gotten worse. Don't know if they are connected or not. I've tried so many things that I do believe that this is just the way it's going to be and I have to try to find new ways to deal with it all. Diet doesn't matter, doctors and dieticians can't help, acupunture and Chinese herbs didn't help, supplements and live cultures haven't helped, teas, yoga, exercise and meditation hasn't helped...I have a long list but not enough time to type it. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know how you feel - I've looked pregnant for five years! My only persistent symptom is bloating and I have had a bit of success with two things. VSL#3 was recommended to me by my homeopath and it’s a high potency probiotic which I mix with this yogurt like stuff called Bio-K.I also found a product called C-Glutamine which I think has helped my leaky gut - a higher potency form of L-Glutamine.Along with this I had allergy and intolerance testing and avoided foods on that list. But never got 100% better.And none of this stuff is cheap!There was an article recently in Canadian newspapers about lectins and the symptoms they describe were very similar to mine. I ordered a product they recommended called “Lectin Lock” which is supposed to keep lectins (found in a variety of food - wheat, soy, dairy, legumes, etc.) from attaching to your intestinal cell walls.I had promised myself long ago not to order any more “miracles in a bottle” but succumbed. I had an adverse reaction to the Lectin Lock (as I did to the acai berry thing I once tried) but whether that product works or not doesn’t mean that avoiding lectins isn’t worth a try so I started avoiding foods high in lectins. If you do a search you can find out more.So for what it’s worth I’m going to add this to my regime and see what happens – the theory is if you can give your gut time to repair you may be able to approach normal…..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can relate to your frustration , I am only 23 and have been dealing with IBS since I was practically a baby. I can remember as a kid my mother fighting with me to take enemas, I do not know if you know what that is or have had one but they are not fun. I was 15 when I had enough of IBS, I had seen so many doctors who could not even tell me what i had , all they could tell me is that I had a balloon bowel whatever the heck that means and they would give me all this different stuff that would never work. I decided to just let IBS take over, I new if I waited long enough without going to the bathroom and got backed up enough it could kill me so I just hid it from my friends and family. I had went months without having a BM, I went from a flat stomach to looking like I was full term pregnant. I could not stand the smell of food, could not sleep and could not even bend over to tie my shoes. My moms best friend had just had a baby and was suffering from a kinked bowel and had called my mom and my mom brought up what was going on with me and her friend told her she thought I was constipated and hiding it. My mom got off the phone and came to me and asked, when I told her how long it had been since my last BM she rushed me to the hospital. The doctor who treated me was surprised I had not done any serious damage and I remember my mom being very upset when she heard that.I started to realize that what I had done was wrong and that having IBS was not worth taking my life over. I have since thought about how yes I may have IBS but there are alot of people out there worse off with more horrible diseases. When I was hospitalized I was happy to finally learn the name of what I had and get on meds that actually helped me. I have went from having serious episodes of constipation every year to now only dealing with it every couple of years like right now I am dealing with it, I have a large stool that will not pass and it has been a week and I am starting to get spasms and I am unable to really eat or drink but this is my first serious episode in like 3 years. I think that there is some type of medication out there for everyone that will work. All of our bodies are different and what works for one of us may not work for another person. For me I take stool softener pills and Metamucil pills and they work well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your diet sounds just like mine. I skip breakfast, try to eat meat and potatoe at around 1 pm and try to skip supper. I stay away from milk and sugar. It is a part of the impossible diet because the first time you fall off the diet (and you will) all symptoms come back. Please check out the new write up i started on antibiotic syndrome.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.