Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Question-----I am 22 yrs old with IBS/D. I am on some kind of little blue med. that I take 3 times a day and Paxil, for anxiety. I was in newlev, but it was not strong enough. So this is my question....Those of you who are taking these meds. or just have IBS, do you find that you are tired all the time?!?!?! I fell asleep lastnight at 8:30!!! I got a "normal" nights rest the night before. I woke up this morning and I am exhausted. My husband says it it fatigue. What do you think? Thanks! Chris

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had that with Bentyl which is an antispasmodic. I think it works like a muscle relaxant to reduce or eliminate spasms (but not 100% sure). I am not sure if NuLev is prescribed for spasms as well or pain. I was prescribed it but never took it.Anyway, on Bentyl, I was ready to fall asleep at my desk at work. I actually use it now if I don't feel tired in the evenings (not being tired early in the evening is usually a precursor to a good few hours staring at the ceiling after I hit the sack). Anyway, what time are you taking these meds? Can take them earlier so that perhaps by morning they are out of your system or close to being out? If so, see if this works. Perhaps talk to your Doctor or pharmacist about it as well. They may have other suggestions.Good luck,Kari

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kari!I guess I can try to start taking the Paxil in the morning. I take it at night b/c my dr. said that I could have some side effects, if I took it in the morning. Nulev is antispasmatic med. and the other meds. (the blue ones) are as well...I think...
They work well, that is all I care about! Thanks again! C

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Just curious if you've ever had your thyroid levels checked? It's a simple blood test and IBS like symptoms and extreme fatigue are symptoms as well as a host of other symptoms including anxiety and mood swings. If this continues to be a problem for you, you might want to have your doc run a thyroid panel (TSH and Free T4).

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm sure it's the Paxil. It did the same thing to me so I stopped taking it. My doctor told me that it was probably too high of a dosage for me so you should try to take a lesser dose probably. Still, seek medical advise because Paxil is pretty dangerous if not taken correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I find that im tired a lot of the time and Im not taking anything at the moment. Even when I get a good nights sleep I am oftern tired the next day.The doctor thought I had glandular fever because of this, but I didnt have it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fatigue can also be because people become sedentary. I know that when I go a few weeks without exercising I start to feel fatigued and tired (muscle atrophy). Just this week I started walking again and I�m finding I have a little more energy. It can feel strange at first because your natural reaction is, �Well if I�m tired I probably just need to rest�. Once you get out and walk or do some exercising you�ll start to feel more energetic, it also produces endorphins, which helps with regulating your mood, and fights off depression. Exercise is also a great stress reliever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Buz...I am agree with your statement. I awake feeling tired and could have no energy, but if I take a walk or exercise rather then lay back down I feel better and the fatigue seems to be much less. I tell people my stomach hurts real bad but if I walk it usaully feels better after the walk. I also rub/knead my stomach when I am feeling really bad and that tends to help..... I also have found foot reflexology helps a good bit of the time, but you have to have someone do it for you because it is difficult to rub ones own feet. For those not familiar with foot reflexology it is a cross between acupuncture and massaging.....reflexology is used to help relief several types of ailments and pain. It is basically applying preasure and rubbing certain areas of your foot to help reduce your pain.Back to the original subject... I believe exercise can help with fatigue. I usaully feel the worst when I awake and if I force myself to get up and get busy or take a walk... I feel better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.